News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hang 'Em High/ Johansen imposter hanged  (Read 1873 times)
herofan

View Profile Email
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

Didn't Cooper and the judge act as though Cooper had never seen the Johansen  imposter before, when he actually had?  Cooper had bought the cattle from a man thinking it was Johansen; he described him to the men before he was hanged.  Then when Cooper was in the judge's office while the thief was being hanged, didn't the judge say something like, "Do you want to see what he looks like?"  When Cooper looked out the window, it seems like a confirmation of, "Yeah, that's him" would have been in order, or perhaps the judge would have said, "That's the guy who sold you the cattle isn't it?"  Yet, they both acted as though it was the first time Cooper had seen him.
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

Didn't Cooper and the judge act as though Cooper had never seen the Johansen  imposter before, when he actually had?  Cooper had bought the cattle from a man thinking it was Johansen; he described him to the men before he was hanged.  Then when Cooper was in the judge's office while the thief was being hanged, didn't the judge say something like, "Do you want to see what he looks like?"  When Cooper looked out the window, it seems like a confirmation of, "Yeah, that's him" would have been in order, or perhaps the judge would have said, "That's the guy who sold you the cattle isn't it?"  Yet, they both acted as though it was the first time Cooper had seen him.

That is a VERY good point and it struck a note with me because I, too, have always been puzzled by that bit of dialogue between Clint and Pat Hingle.  Clint's character does indeed give a description of the man to the lynch mob.  And it has always bothered me when hearing the judge direct Cooper to the window to see what the man looks like.  Sometimes, I've tried to reason that he simply was referring to how the guy looks as he's about to take the ultimate plunge.

But, more likely, it is just awkward dialogue that got past the production crew.  One of those things, I guess.  It's still a classic movie.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T