News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood on top of WTC?  (Read 3423 times)
batulj

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: January 03, 2004, 06:09:25 PM »

Hi.
As a kid i saw a movie with Eastwood and some black man chasing and shooting on top of NY World Trade Center. At least i hope it was WTC.
Can anybody help me and tell me what is the name of this movie.

Thanks

B
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 06:28:34 PM »

I doubt it was a film with Eastwood, at least if it was actually the World Trade Center, or at least New York City. The only film Eastwood has made to date that features him in New York City is Coogan's Bluff (1968), and there are no scenes in that one such as you describe.  Indeed, the World Trade Center wasn't even complete at the time the movie was shot.
gwb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 01:15:57 PM »

Hi.
As a kid i saw a movie with Eastwood and some black man chasing and shooting on top of NY World Trade Center. At least i hope it was WTC.
Can anybody help me and tell me what is the name of this movie.

Thanks

B

Eastwood in The Enforcer chased a black man on several roofs while shooting - perhaps this is the movie you are thinking of.....
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 07:12:45 PM »

That is, indeed, about the only film I can think of in which Eastwood's character pursued a black man for any great distance. However, they aren't very high off the ground, so I doubt if it's the film batulj had in mind. Aren't there any action film buffs out there who can remember a chase scene like the one described?  ???
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 11:39:47 PM by KC » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 07:56:44 PM »

Well right off the bat I’m thinking of Escape From New York.  There is a shootout scene at the top of the WTC involving Snake, Brain, Maggie and the President against the Native Americans while trying to get to the Gulf Fire, Snakes jet glider and the way out for himself and the president.  It would be hard for me to believe that anyone could mistake Kurt Russell for Clint Eastwood.

However, there is the great commentary by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell on the newly released Special Edition EFNY that Russell goes into how cool it was to work with Lee Van Cleef and thought it would be fun to do Clint’s voice throughout the movie as a throwback to the Spaghetti Westerns and out of respect for Clint and Van Cleef.  It’s pretty cool.  Apparently Carpenter thought is was a great idea.  If I have time I’ll post up those interesting comments.

While I’m on the subject of EFNY the 15 minute DELETED bank robbery scene is included on this release and has commentary as well.  It’s cool to see why Snake was sent to prison.  Carpenter goes into why he didn’t include it on the theatrical release.  It’s the BEST Special Edition DVD I have ever spent money on.  Well worth getting.  The art work on the cover is of top quality and the extras are good.  The case it self is awesome and has the best design I have ever seen.

The Duke of New York is played buy the one and only Issac Hays but he doesn't sing Shaft...    

In the beginning of the film Snake Plisken is chasing The Duke because he has the President and towards the end, when Snake has the president, the Duke is chasing Snake.  Could it be this movie?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 08:04:15 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 08:15:07 PM »

Thanks, D'Amb ... I had thought myself that it might be Escape from New York, but it's been too long since I've seen the film; couldn't recall whether there was a scene similar to the one described.

I recall reading elsewhere that Kurt Russell had said he was doing an Eastwood imitation throughout this film.  ;)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:28 PM »

Ok, as I promised.  Not as in-depth as I had remembered but worth posting never the less.

Directly from the Russell and Carpenter commentary on disc one when Lee Van Cleef makes his entrance:

Carpenter:  “Here comes one of my favorite actors in the picture, Lee Van Cleef.”
Russell:  “Yeah.”
Carpenter:  “Whom I really enjoyed working with.  An Amazing Person.  Someone we all grew up with from High Noon and Spaghetti Westerns.”
Russell:  “I remember we talked a great deal about the quality of Snake, and if Lee Van Cleef was going to play that roll, it would be kind of fun to do Snake a little bit like Eastwood.”
Carpenter:  “Exactly.”
Russell:  “Kind of give it that Eastwood voice quality and have the fun of having done that with Lee Van Cleef.”
Carpenter: “Kind of Resonate the Sergio Leone pictures here in the future.”

From Disc two.  Return from Escape From New York.  Kurt Russell discussing Snake Pliskens character:

Russell:  With a big grin on his face smiling and laughing…
“I said you know what?  If Lee Van Cleef is going to be Hauk I’m just going right down that road.  I won’t do Eastwood exactly but I’ll look at it as the same way Eastwood looked at those characters.  That fits perfectly.  That’s what he should sound like.”

A shot of Snake shooting it out with the Duke near the climax of the flick inside the World Trade Center...

Here, listen to him yourself and see what you think:
http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/data/movies/sounds/nyscback.wav
and: http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/data/movies/sounds/nyscmayb.wav

I don't know, I think he does a damn good Eastwood myself... ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 11:31:06 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 03:22:18 PM »

i noticed kurt's verbal impersonation in escape from new yorkresembles clint's character as the man with no name sound alike. funny
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 06:24:43 PM »

Since Donald's new thread in Off Topic fit right in with an earlier topic in "Questions & Answers," I have merged the two threads.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T