News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This could be Clint's next western.....if I write the script  (Read 4890 times)
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 12, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »

I thought this up on my own. Below are the details:

Title: Holy Vengeance

Cast:
Sylvester Stallone
Clint
Kevin Costner
Sam Elliot
Tommy Lee Jones

Director: Clint, of course, but Costner is a good 2nd choice, if for some reason he would not wish to direct

Plot: While he is at church, a man's (Stallone) family is murdered. Seeking vengeance he set's out with the sheriff (Clint) and his deputy (Elliot) to track the murderers (Jones and Costner). But there are a few twists along the way: Elliot's character knows the men they are chasing, because he used to ride with them, and Stallone's character is a Christian. Will he follow the Bible or his heart in dealing with the killers????????

If I decide to write it (that will depend on your feedback) and send it to Malpaso, Clint will have more to do than be along for the ride, which it may seem like I'm suggesting in the outline.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 12:30:10 PM by Adam S. » Logged

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:52:54 PM »

Funny, I always wanted to be a scriptwriter....

That's a pretty good cast but I'm not convinced about Stallone. I know many of you are Rocky fans but he hasn't been in a good role for a long time and I'm not sure how well he would work with Clint. My argument has always been that Clint's ability to consistently update and evolve his image and the characters he plays, and the wide range of films he chooses to act in/direct, means that Clint's career has endured, where as that of more physical actors such as Stallone and Jean Claude Van Damme has not because they are arguably more limited in their roles and range of films.

Kevin Costner would be a good choice, on the strength of Open Range and some of his other films.

I can't really comment on Sam Elliott as I don't know him as an actor. Tommy Lee Jones is usually pretty good in his roles, especially as a bad guy.

I see you're bringing in the religion aspect...that could be quite interesting. But, if as you're suggesting, the Stallone character is quite religious, then surely he wouldn't seek vengeance? I think if he were to seek retribution for the murder of his family then he most certainly wouldn't be following the Bible right then and there.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 12:57:51 PM »

I can't really comment on Sam Elliott as I don't know him as an actor.
He played in several great made-for-TV westerns, such as The Sacketts and the 1987 version of The Quick And The Dead. He played Virgil Earp in Tombstone and his most recent role is as the Army commander in The Hulk.

I see you're bringing in the religion aspect...that could be quite interesting. But, if as you're suggesting, the Stallone character is quite religious, then surely he wouldn't seek vengeance? I think if he were to seek retribution for the murder of his family then he most certainly wouldn't be following the Bible right then and there.

Good point, but what would be good is that his wife lived long enough to describe the men to him and he goes along to pick them out, but along the way he get's pissed off enough to want to kill them.

Roger Alan Wade
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 01:35:31 PM »

Since I never get sick of westerns, just about any plot is always fine by me.  I'm not sure about Sylvester Stallone in a western, though.  (Just don't name his wife Adriane.......I don't think I could take hearing him calling out to her anymore!!  Hahahahahahaha  ;D)

Clint and Sam Elliott together on the same team would be a pretty tough duo, that's for sure.  They'd even be a great BAD guy duo - maybe make them the murderers.  

Costner would turn down the part, I'm thinking.

The title says it all, though.  I'd pay at the theatre to watch it....  

Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 01:46:23 PM »

I don't think it would work. Stallone doesn't seem to me like he'd fit in a western. Sam Elliot & Clint would be good. I don't think the Christian aspect of the movie would work either. Sorry.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:21:53 PM »

I can't see Stallone in a western either.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »

This was also my first reaction........Stallone needs to go.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:15:17 PM »

Adam, it's nice to see that you've come up with an interesting idea here. Like everyone else has said, Sylvester Stallone wouldn't work in a western. I also fail to see how the biblical element would work in a western. The only way that the character could lead a life in accordance with the scripture would be to forgive those who had murdered his family and to not seek revenge. In a western, that kind of storyline isn't very satisfying for the viewer. It may be the right thing to do, but the western is a fantasy and for the sake of the story progressing and the film being satifying, I don't think you can construct a story based that heavily on an adherence to religion. Having a climax where the character says nope, I just can't go after these guys because that's just not what Jesus would do, I'm curious as to how you can see that working in a western?
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 06:57:39 AM »

Switch stallone for costner, and have gary oldman or dennis hopper play the part of the other killer instead.
In all these twists about religion and a shady past, what´s clint´s take in all of this? Is he just doing his job or does he have greater part in the overall plot besides bringing scumbags to justice?
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »

Switch stallone for costner, and have gary oldman or dennis hopper play the part of the other killer instead.
In all these twists about religion and a shady past, what´s clint´s take in all of this? Is he just doing his job or does he have greater part in the overall plot besides bringing scumbags to justice?

Actually, he is not religious in the film, at least in the beginning. He cannot read. The Stallone (or Costner as you suggested) character reads some of the Scriptures to him. After that character kills one of the murderers he starts praying. This could be the dialouge (I'm still saying Stallone so I will not confuse everybody, but maybe Costner would fit the role better):
Stallone has finished prayer
Clint: What was that you were doin'?
Stallone: Prayin'
Clint: What for?
Stallone: Forgivness for what I did today. For peace, so things like this wouldn't happen. And for hope that I can live without my family.
Clint: Peace. Hell, I could use a little of that. (get's on his knees and begins to pray)
BTW, about Stallone in a western. People probably said the same about Clint and an action film at the time of Coogan's Bluff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 12:02:19 PM by Adam S. » Logged

Roger Alan Wade
masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 12:50:32 PM »

Well...Going against nearly everyone else, I like the Biblical element, and I think you should go on with the script, I would pay to see it aswell.
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 12:56:53 PM »

I'm in the process of writing a book. A mystery/ suspense novel. Maybe it'll be made into a movie.  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T