News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »

Poll

Which decade of Clint's films do you like best?

1950s (!)
0 (0%)
1960s
6 (14%)
1970s
25 (58.1%)
1980s
2 (4.7%)
1990s
8 (18.6%)
2000s
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favorite decade of Eastwood movies  (Read 23602 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:42:27 PM »

This one isn't difficult for me; 'spaghetti westerns' are the main reason I became a fan so I like the 60s the best.  I'm not particularly fond of Where Eagles Dare or Paint Your Wagon, but Hang 'Em High & Coogan's Bluff more than make up for that! Next would be the 70s, 90s, 80s, 2000s and then 50s.  (Just a few more good films this decade and the 2000s move up a notch).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 01:57:35 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:58:11 PM »

I really love the work he did in the 90's. True Crime, In The Line of Fire, Absolute Power, Space Cowboys(filmed in 1999-does that count ;) ), Unforgiven, and a Perfect World. Of course not to take anything away from the Dirty Harry series or his Spaghetti Westerns. I like these because I guess you could say they show a more mature side of Clint.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 05:24:39 PM »

The  70's made Eastwood a bona fida movie 'star'.
The 70's brought us his own personally directed first fruits of brilliance as well as some of his most loved films in general.
The 70's got it.

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 06:24:27 PM »

Dirty Harry
Josey Wales
Philo Beddoe
The Stranger
Thunderbolt

The Beguiled
Play misty for me
Escape from Alcatraz

Nuff said.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 07:22:41 PM »

I have to agree with wkc and philo here. While Clint has made some great movies in other decades (the sixties and nineties in particular), the seventies just had a lot of very good movies.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:24:53 PM »

Count me in with everyone who voted 70's. What a great decade for Eastwood films.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 10:21:10 PM »

I think for some people the answer to this question will depend upon the age that they grew up watching Eastwood films. Somebody who grew up in the 1960's and 1970's or who has been following his career for a long period of time will probably think that those were his best films. Somebody who came to Clint later in life or who grew up in the 1980's or 1990's may believe that those were his better films.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:33:59 PM »

I went with the 70's.  8)
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 06:44:51 AM »

In the words of Darth Vader.
All to easy.

the 70´s gave us two of the greates Eastwood characters, Harry Callahan and Joesy Wales...
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »

Aw, this is so hard!

My instincts say go with the 70s like everyone else...not merely because it's the decade when Clint became a star, but because so many great films were from that period (aside from the obvious, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot springs to mind here just because it's fresh in my mind from last night's viewing ;)).

But...but...my beloved Tightrope and Heartbreak Ridge lie in the 80s...and then what about my other favourites, Unforgiven and beloved Bridges, from the 90s?! What a dilemma!

If we were going for consistency, then I vote for the 70s. But it'd be nice to say a different decade, not just for the sake of it, but because I genuinely meant it. I haven't voted in the poll yet...I want to have a think about this one (uh-oh - I may be some time...)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 12:16:49 PM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 12:20:07 PM »

I went with the 1970s. In fact, my favorite decade of film overall is quite possibly the 70s. Maybe Eastwood has something to do with that. ;) Yeah, I think so, more of my overall favorite movies are from the 1970s than any other decade, and more of my favorite Eastwood movies are from the 70s.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 02:12:41 PM »

Hi everyone; I hope nobody gets mad, but I changed the subject title because it better fits the poll.  I have to admit, I almost changed my opinion after reading your responses.  I agree that the 70s was a great decade for Eastwood movies; after all, it's when Callahan came to life and a number of other great characters: Dave Garver, The Stranger, Ben Shockley, Josey Wales, Philo Beddoe and Frank Morris.   The 70s is also the decade I saw my first Clint movie, Every Which Way But Loose.  I'm stickin' to my guns, though, for 2 reasons:  The spaghetti westerns are my all-time favorites and...I... couldn't change my mind even if I wanted....I already voted!  ;D
Thanks for your votes and thoughts!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 02:32:43 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 03:30:50 PM »

Hey Jed,

well i chose the 90s. but that is only because In The Line of Fire was made then and i like it. i did not really care for Unforgiven because i am not into his really hard core dark themed movies.

so you can take my vote with a grain of salt because i haven't really watched enough of his movies to give an honest appraisal.

but you would tend to think that the 70s were his best time and when he was at his most popular.

Head 'em up and move 'em out!
howie

A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 09:09:48 PM »

I will have to go with the 60's.  Plus I loved the music in those movies.
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 11:53:52 AM »

The 70's, but it was a toss-up between that and the 60's.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 02:16:21 PM »

Thanks to the 1-2 punch of Unforgiven and A Perfect World (my top two Eastwood flicks), I went with the '90s in a squeaker over the equally impressive '70s.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 02:30:47 PM »

Wow, no votes for the 50's, eh?! With impressive movies like.....Tarantula :o....and....Revenge Of The Creature :P....???!!!  ;D

“Eyuh.”
zach54

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 07:26:21 AM »

What a great thread! I have to agree with Christopher in that I believe the 70's to be Cinema's Golden Age.So many impressive movies came out in this decade.But I also side with Jed Cooper in that my love of Clint comes from first seeing those movies he made in the Sixties! So its a real tough one to answer.
 What does stick out is that Clint has made consistently brilliant movies for close to 40 years with just the occasional blip.....I cant think of any other such actor/actress that comes even close.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 09:14:49 AM »

What a great thread! I have to agree with Christopher in that I believe the 70's to be Cinema's Golden Age.So many impressive movies came out in this decade.But I also side with Jed Cooper in that my love of Clint comes from first seeing those movies he made in the Sixties! So its a real tough one to answer.
 What does stick out is that Clint has made consistently brilliant movies for close to 40 years with just the occasional blip.....I cant think of any other such actor/actress that comes even close.

Glad you like this topic, zach.  You've got a good point, Clint's had a very good run...."lucky in the order."

“Eyuh.”
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

I went with 70s because I think thats where clint was at his peak as an actor...But I almost went with the 60s though :P

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T