News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Rawhide Guest Star  (Read 6791 times)
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« on: May 15, 2004, 10:10:46 AM »

rather than continuing to moan about the lack of Rawhide DVDs, i felt i would start a thread about the memorable and good things about Rawhide.

Rawhide certainly had many, many great guest stars over the years. from famous actors to actors who became famous following Rawhide.

to start this thread i wanted to mention how much i enjoyed the performances of James Whitmore.

he played in several different eps and usually as a soldier. my personal favorite was Incident of the Dog Faces when he played a tough and resilient Sergeant who was utterly fearless and cool under fire from a band of hostile indians. he just had such a commanding quality to his voice and you loved hearing him speak.

in the other ep he was paired with another very good actor named Michael Ansara. this ep was titled Iron Bull if i remember correctly. Ansara played an Indian trail drover named Joseph but in fact he was the great indian chief Iron Bull himself. and Whitmore played a deranged/delusional calvary Major (or Colonel?) who had once slaughtered an entire tribe of defenseless Indian women and children. i thought the interplay between those two characters was incredible.

anyways, James Whitmore was just one great actor who was on Rawhide. please describe some of your favorites and why you liked them so much. or mention how you liked how a particular guest star interacted with Clint's character of Rowdy Yates and why you enjoyed it.

Head 'em up and move 'em out!
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:04:01 AM »

yup, you are correct there were an amazing number of outstanding guest stars on Rawhide.  I liked all the ones you mentioned. those are excellent episodes. and I'm still waiting patiently for more Rawhide DVDs. so far 10 are out. and I have asked Columbia House relentlessly for the other ones.

Hostage Child   James Coburn  . wow . what an episode. he's a miliatry man married to a lady who has let him believe she's Spanish.  But she has a secret.  Part of the show that is interesting is the frustration on his part that they reveal very subtly. And by the way did you see his wife? wow. what a beauty. 

Iron Bull . yes. that major or colonel dude was complely out of his mind.  of course, Gil and Rowdy are my favorite part, well everyone else is just fantastic also.

Buffalo Smokehouse. that lady who is with the bad dude is good. The scene in the carriage is pretty good where they have to come up with a story and quick!

Reluctant Bridegroom

El Toro - 'Fuller!' i'll make you a deal. a month's wages for the bull's ears.
'You got something to say to me Fuller?'

'and I'm gonna keep riding him till he gives a days work for a days pay'

that's some for now, everything about Rawhide was just first class. 
Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

I too enjoyed many episodes of Rawhide, mostly from my Columbia House VHS collection.
Co-stars that I enjoyed a lot were Burgess Merideth, better known by us younger folks as Rocky's manager, Mickey or Grandpa Gustafson in Grumpy Old Men.  He was in several Rawhide episodes if I remember right.  He's a very memorable character.
Also, I remember at least one episode with James Best, better known as Rosco P. Coltrane.  I really enjoy looking back at old episodes of Rawhide to see today's stars working with my favorite hero.  I'm trying to remember the name of that one episode, seems like it was something like, "Incident at the..." or "Incident of the... "    :D  ;)

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man."  Ramon Rojo
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »

I would like to see the episodes with James Best. I did not know that he appeared in the show.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:09:01 AM »

I would like to see the episodes with James Best. I did not know that he appeared in the show.

Well, I looked on the back of all my Columbia House Rawhide boxes last night where it lists the guest stars for each episode.  I wasn't able to find the one with James Best. So, I guess it's possible I don't have the specific episode and just seen it on the Halmark channel once, or maybe he just wasn't listed as a guest star that time.  This CH VHS collection spans many different seasons, as if they just picked random episodes between 1958 & 1965.  So, it's likely the particular episode I'm remembering isn't out on DVD yet either.   :-\

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man."  Ramon Rojo
Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:41:54 AM »

Quote from Gant in the RAWHIDE on DVD News forum,
"...Would still like to see the one featuring Charles Bronson..."

I looked that episode up too, although I'm not sure if there was more than one episode with Charles Bronson.  The one I have on VHS is called The Duel at Daybreak from 1965.  If I remember right, this was one where Rowdy was the trailboss.  Anyway, Charles Bronson plays Del Lingman, a tough guy bully-type that challenges one of the young drovers to a duel.

Now I feel like watching it again, gonna have to see if I can hook up and get my old VCR working again.   O0

Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »

Richard, I found a lot of good info about specific episodes of Rawhide at tv.com.  James Best was in at least two episodes.  The first one I found was in the 5th season as Willie Cain in Incident at Spider Rock.  The second one was in the 6th season as Art Fuller in Incident of El Toro

http://www.tv.com/rawhide/incident-at-spider-rock/episode/136036/recap.html

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:53:54 PM »

I've only seen several Rawhide episodes, and I haven't seen any well known guest stars in those episodes. I think the one with Charles Bronson would be cool. Did he or Clint ever talk about what it was like to meet and work with the other?
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 10:03:16 PM »

Richard, I found a lot of good info about specific episodes of Rawhide at tv.com.  James Best was in at least two episodes.  The first one I found was in the 5th season as Willie Cain in Incident at Spider Rock.  The second one was in the 6th season as Art Fuller in Incident of El Toro

http://www.tv.com/rawhide/incident-at-spider-rock/episode/136036/recap.html
Thank you for the info Tehama Tony. I will be looking forward to those episodes when they are released on DVD.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T