News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite "Do You Feel Lucky" speech  (Read 6706 times)
masterchief

View Profile Email
« on: May 20, 2004, 09:01:06 AM »

What was everyones favourite "Do You Feel Lucky" speech ? First time or second.

Mine was the first time, because of the shoot out at the begining, and how cool it was, when he pointed the gun at the robber, and pulled the trigger, with an empty gun.

Plus, the 2nd one symbolizes the end of the film aswell.  :(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 11:59:34 AM by masterchief » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »

Good question.  I'd have to say the 1st delivery, because that was the first time I heard it and became hooked!  That's not to say the 2nd delivery wasn't just as good; it was the climax to he film and you could feel Callahan's frustration as he challenged Scorpio with a more menacing tone, as opposed to the mocking manner in which he challenged the bank robber.  A perfect ending to a perfect movie.  

“Eyuh.”
hutsegarden

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 04:28:41 PM »

hi,

I understand the problem in deciding which is best, my opinion is that one wouldn't work in the same way without the other - the first is hilarious, seeing the disappointment on the bankrobbers face when he realises the gun is empty - and then the second one where we know that Harry really knows excactly what he is doing, and provokes the draw from Scorpio. Therefore I think they are both interlinked - and cannot be seperated as such.

greetings from Hutsegarden

Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:03 AM »

I like the first one because Harry is running a bluff. He is trying to get the guy to believe that he had a bullet in his gun  with his name on it. Instead, he has an empty pistol and then he shows the robber that by dropping it on the empty chamber. It's just because he is bluffing in the first one that makes it cooler.
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 09:08:30 AM »

Harry wasn't bluffing in the bank robbery scene. The bank robber would never have been able to grab that shotgun and fire at Harry. Harry would have stepped on the shotgun if the bank robber tried to make a move. He was just having a laugh at the bank robber's expense. ;)

The second time is the climax of the movie, therefore it is also the best. :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 09:08:53 AM by Kal Varnsen » Logged
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 09:47:08 AM »

I think I like the second one better because Harry is really disgusted at Sciorpio and he delivers it with a lot more feeling.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 07:59:50 PM »

I gotta to go with the first one... :P
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 10:00:12 PM »

I gotta to go with the first one... :P

Someone who agrees with me!  ;D Sweet!
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 01:19:07 PM »

Im gonna go with the second one.
The first one was kinda funny and light-hearted but I felt the second one made a more powerful ending

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 10:36:49 PM »

Its really a hard choice...  I like the second because as it was said above, it is the climax of the film and in a way a turning point in Harry, so the second one

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »

The first speech really incapsulates the "Dirty" Harry persona.  The second speech comes after much frustration and bitterness and raw anger.  I like hutsegarden's comment that they are linked, because indeed they are and bring the movie full circle.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T