News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest time span between working with Clint  (Read 2792 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »

I watched Kelly's Heroes recently and was reminded at how much time had gone by before Donald Sutherland worked with Clint again, which was about 30 years for 2000's Space Cowboys.  James Garner has that beat, between 1959's 'Duel At Sundown' Maverick episode and the same movie w/Sutherland.  Wow, 41 years!  Eli Wallach comes close to that; he didn't work with Clint after The Good, The Bad And The Ugly in 1966 until 2003's Mystic River-36 years.  Does anybody have any thoughts on this?  Can you think of any other actors/actresses that had a long period of time go by inbetween projects with Clint?

“Eyuh.”
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »

Anthony James was Cole Carlin in 1973's High Plains Drifter and Skinny in 1992's Unforgiven. That's 19 years, but it seems small potatoes compared to Garner's 41 years.  :o
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 10:46:02 PM »

Yeah, 41 years is pretty ridiculous. Given that Eastwood and Garner had been friends so long it's kind of strange that it took them that long to find a project. It's also a bit of a shame that they decided to work together on Space Cowboys. It seems to be as if Garner's character had the least to do and was the least interesting of the four. His character also didn't really have a feeling to me of a James Garner performance. Perhaps I identify Garner too much from my enjoyment of things like The Rockford Files , but it seemed to me as if any number of actors could have played the role of Tank. There wasn't really anything characteristic of Garner that made him stand out in my mind.  
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 08:18:18 PM »

Yeah, 41 years is pretty ridiculous. Given that Eastwood and Garner had been friends so long it's kind of strange that it took them that long to find a project.
I think Clint could have done Jack Lemmon's role well in My Fellow Americans, which starred Lemmon, Garner, and Dan Aykroyd. That would have been a good starring project for him and Garner.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 08:22:20 PM »

A few which are not even contenders, but I'll go ahead anyway-
Morgan Freeman--12 years between Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby
Gene Hackman--5 years between Unforgiven and Absolute Power
Don Seigel--9 years between The Beguiled and Escape From Alcatraz.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 09:02:42 PM »

How about Mara Corday? Twenty-two years between Tarantula and The Gauntlet!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 10:15:24 AM »

How about Mara Corday? Twenty-two years between Tarantula and The Gauntlet!

I forgot about that; I thought it was longer, thinking she didn't work on the same movie with Clint again until Sudden Impact.  Looks like I need a large black coffee...

“Eyuh.”
LarryDickman

Kivu knows.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 07:32:50 PM »

How about Eli Wallach.  He was in some old westerns then appears again in Mystic River.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 07:49:35 PM »

Wallach was in one "old Western" with Clint, namely The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, shot in 1966, released in the U.S. in 1968. And Mystic River was released last year, 2003, so that is thirty-seven or thirty-five years between jobs with Clint, depending on how you're counting  ... as Jed Cooper mentioned in the first post in this thread, only his math is a little different. ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T