News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good,the bad, the ugly  (Read 15164 times)
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 01:34:51 PM »

To me Angel Eyes appearance in the fort came as no surprise, simply because it fitted in with the nature of his character, and what he might do under the then conditions to survive and even prosper.  A survivor and an opportunist.

WKC.

I was not surprised by it. I was surprised by the fact that they cut that scene out of the international version. I just think the movie makes more sense with that scene.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 07:26:55 PM »

Umm, thanks for your effort, Screaming Eagle ... let's try that again, shall we?

La mia famiglia ha a Napoli un ristorante e uno dei clienti più affezionati è l'attore Aldo Giuffrè, che in GBU era il capitano nordista alcolizzato. Giorni fa ha festeggiato i suoi 80 anni al nostro ristorante e gli ho chiesto se ricordava le riprese di GBU e un giudizio sugli attori: non ricordava bene Van Cleef e Wallach, ma di Clint mi ha detto che era molto professionale e serio. Io gli ho fatto i complimenti per la sua bellissima interpretazione; egli è un attore di teatro molto noto in Italia e a Napoli in particolare.
Quando uscì GBU a cinema, io avevo 19 anni e confesso che andai a vederlo malvolentieri, perché l'eroe dei western fino ad allora era stato per me John Wayne, tutto diverso dal personaggio del Biondo...

Ajax

My family has a restaurant in Naples and one of our favorite customers is the actor Aldo Giuffrè, who was the alcoholic Union captain in GBU. A few days ago, he celebrated his 80th birthday in our restaurant, and I asked him whether he recalled the GBU shoot and what he thought about the actors; he didn't recall Van Cleef and Wallach very well, but he said that Clint was very professional and serious. I complimented him on his wonderful performance; he's very well known as a stage actor in Italy, and particularly in Naples.

When GBU came out, I was 19 years old, and I confess I was reluctant to go see it, because up till then THE Western hero for me was John Wayne, so different from Blondy's character ...

Ajax
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 08:54:21 PM »

John Wayne westerns were not realistic. Eastwood's are. The west was a bloody, sweaty, tough place. Life had no value, death had a price sometimes. That's when the bounty killers appeared. Had I lived back then, I probably would have been one.  
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 03:58:31 AM »

KC, Well I tried with babelfish.altavista.com

Many Hollywood Westerns were romanticised looks of the West, where; Cowboys are good, Indians are bad, there is always a cattledrive etc.

However up until the Spaghetti Westerns really impacted on America, Hollywood Westerns was all there was.
Leone loved westerns but he was fed up of the American ideology that were in most Westerns, like 'A Man's got to do what a Man's got to do'.

Some of them are quite good and you can't really dismiss them as unrealistic.  The only complaint I have of the Hollywood Western is the same reason Leone's. The American ideology and Romantic view of the West.

Some good Hollywood Westerns that I've seen:
-The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (like I said, this has quite a bit of the ideology in it, but is enjoyable)
-The Magnificent Seven (has less of a romantic view and is very good)

I should get around to watching more when they come on the TV, as in here in Britain you can't usually go a week without a western showing on the TV.
philamopolis

Email
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 05:39:51 PM »

This is for Screaming Eagle.

I read that you have a wallpaper for your desktop of Lee Van Cleef throwing a shovel. I too love Cleef and his look as well as his capibilities of acting. Could you post that picture? Also any other pics, and if anyone else has a pic of Lee Van Cleef please post it.

Thank you.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2004, 09:26:12 PM »

This is for Screaming Eagle.

I read that you have a wallpaper for your desktop of Lee Van Cleef throwing a shovel. I too love Cleef and his look as well as his capibilities of acting. Could you post that picture? Also any other pics, and if anyone else has a pic of Lee Van Cleef please post it.

Thank you.
Actually, it was Ajax who posted that (in Italian). I translated it into English ...
I've got a photo from GBU that shows him throwing the shovel at Tuco, who's digging in the cemetery, as my desktop wallpaper ...

Ajax
Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 12:50:26 AM »

Mortimer : "Maybe next time..."
Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 12:53:18 AM »

Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2004, 01:29:06 AM »

I wish to signal to you this beautiful link:
http://www.fistfulofwesterns.com
(I hope to have written well in English... sorry!)
Ajax  ::)... pardoned the errors!  :-[

ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2004, 03:40:47 AM »

Nice pics Ajax, and thanks for the heads up on the website.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 06:33:44 AM »

Grazie, Ajax! Nice pictures, and thank you for the link, also!

Your English is fine!
Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 01:23:36 PM »

You can translate in English, please?
Questo articolo è apparso su un giornale italiano: "Con Rourke e Gere l'ultimo sogno nel West di Leone".
Il figlio di Sergio Leone, Andrea, ha trovato un manoscritto del padre con il soggetto di un film da far interpretare a Mickey Rourke e a Richard Gere, chiamato "Un posto che solo Mary conosce". Andrea ha deciso di realizzare l'ultimo sogno di suo padre. Il film descrive la cavalcata di due eroi, un po' straccioni, negli anni tumultuosi della guerra civile americana...

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »

I'll give it a shot:

"This article appeared in an Italian newspaper:  "Leone’s Last Western Dream starring Rourke and Gere".  The son of Sergio Leone, Andrea, has found a manuscript by his father concerning the topic for a film intended for Mickey Rourke and Richard Gere, called "A Place That Only Mary Knows".  Andrea has decided to fulfill his father’s last wish.  The film describes the raid of two heroes on horseback, po' straccioni (a couple of scoundrels or peasants?) in the tumultuous years of the American Civil War."

Can't quite pinpoint "po' straccioni."  Maybe someone can assist on translating that. Slang maybe....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 03:50:48 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2004, 07:53:26 PM »

Good job, Agent!

"Cavalcata" could simply mean "trip by horseback," couldn't it? Doesn't have to be a "raid."

"po' straccioni" = "a bit down at the heels" ... "Un straccione" is "a poor ragged fellow."
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2004, 07:03:16 AM »

Yeah that makes more sense...thanks KC.  :)

Perhaps the  adventures of two 'common-folk' type guys during the Civil War - something similar to Blondie & Tuco's scenes in GBU, perhaps.

Of course, it's been 15 years since Leone passed away, and makes you speculate whether he'd still pick Gere and Rourke for his leads today - especially Rourke:

Time seems to have been a little kinder to Gere, since his glory days of An Officer and a Gerbil...er, I mean Gentleman! Excuse me!!

If his son does follow through with this project, I wonder if he will in fact still pursue these two actors? I kind of hope not.....

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
HeroCasey

Gunslinger

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2004, 09:11:32 AM »

Rourke looks a little better than in that last picture. Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Man on Fire are the last films I've seen him in.

Bam Bam
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T