News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FOD debate  (Read 6522 times)
Blondie2488

Email
« on: May 24, 2004, 06:31:35 AM »

In "A Fistfull of Dollars", Joe says to the family that he saved them because "I new a girl like you once, and there was no one around to help her." Who is that girl?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 06:36:47 AM »

Who do you think?  ;)
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 08:24:26 AM »

I'm guessing his mother. I'm not sure though.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 12:33:08 PM »

In "A Fistfull of Dollars", Joe says to the family that he saved them because "I new a girl like you once, and there was no one around to help her." Who is that girl?

He never says girl he says 'someone', so that could be either Joe himself or, like he said, some he knew.
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »

"He never says girl he says 'someone', so that could be either Joe himself or, like he said, some he knew."

That's my point. I want to know who. I like to know everything. ;D
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 02:49:19 PM »

I would say it's him. That's has always been my thought about it.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 03:02:45 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts folks.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 03:16:50 PM »

Here's the exact quote:

MARISOL: Why do you do this for us?

JOE: Why? Because I knew someone like you once. There was no one there to help. Now get movin'.

Most of the speculation I've read on the interpretation of that quote is as Blondie2488 posted: that he's referring to his mother. But, it's purposefully vague to make you wonder who it was, and for the viewer to come up with their own answer.
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 05:49:33 PM »

Interesting. Sergio Leone must have had great writers.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:25:59 PM »

Interesting. Sergio Leone must have had great writers.

Indeed he did ... indeed he did. From an interview with Eastwood published in Rolling Stone, July 4, 1985 ...

You've said that in the original script, the Man with No Name shot off his mouth more than his gun.

The script was very expository, yeah. It was an outrageous story, and I thought there should be much more mystery to the person. I kept telling Sergio, "In a real A picture, you let the audience think along with the movie; in a B picture, you explain everything." That was my way of selling my point. For instance, there was a scene where he decides to save the woman and the child. She says, "Why are you doing this?" In the script he just goes on forever. He talks about his mother, all kinds of subplots that come out of nowhere, and it goes on and on and on. I thought that was not essential, so I just rewrote the scene the night before we shot it.

Okay, the woman asks, "Why are you doing this?" and he says …

"Because I knew someone like you once and there was nobody there to help."

So you managed to express ten pages of dialogue in a single sentence.

We left it oblique and let the audience wonder: "Now wait a minute, what happened?" You try to let people reach into the story, find things in it, choice little items that they enjoy. It's like finding something you've worked and hunted for, and it's much more enjoyable than having some explanation slapped into your face like a wet fish.

So you have a lot of faith in your audience.

You have to. You don't play down to people, you don't say, "I'd better make this a little simpler, a little more expository."

(Interview by Tim Cahill; reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews, p. 121)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:28:40 PM by KC » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 06:33:06 PM »

He also says something to the effect of "I never did find home all that appealing..." so I always figured that his mom and him were in a bad situation and he watched his mom being abused, and maybe even himself.  Maybe not his father but some other bastard and he may have been to little to do anything about it.  Maybe that's why he set out to be a bounty hunter.  To hunt down bastards like stepdad or something.

OK, enough of my Pycho babble... ;)
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 07:03:41 PM »

That's what I thought.
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 08:47:40 PM »

I'm actually reading this bio on Clint right now...  He says in the book he was suppose to talk about his mom and as KC said up above with Clint won that arguement with Leone.   Still I think it's better that it's vague, it makes it a high class A movie  ::)

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 01:54:24 AM »

If he did go on and on about his mother, the Rojos would had got to him where he was still talking to the family, and that's the end of Joe.
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2004, 06:50:55 PM »

I didn't imagine that it was that big a deal who the women was that Clint refers to.  Just someone who was in the same predicament and that there was nobody around (at all) or nobody big-hearted enough (around) to help her.  Definately not his mother, though!!   ???  I don't think they meant to imply any plot twist with that one...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T