News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint/Elvis connection(s)  (Read 17025 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2004, 12:04:31 AM »

.. and both are quite tall.... :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2004, 03:16:15 AM »

Aw KC...humour us here! :)

I can't think of many similarities, and I've only seen about 3 Elvis films even though I'm a huge fan of his, so I'm not an expert on his work :( But, Clint and Elvis are two very good-looking fellas who both have/had a great deal of talent in their respective fields. Elvis wasn't as good an actor as Clint but he had the potential to be better if he had been given better films to do. I for one would have loved to see him in West Side Story. I think he would have been great in that.

Adam, that 'modern band' you refer to, as I've stated previously, is a band called Gorillaz, a side-project of Damon Albarn's, the singer from the English band Blur. The song, appropriately enough, was called 'Clint Eastwood'.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2004, 05:48:26 AM »

Another DISsimilarity ... Elvis may, but Clint doesn't ... last I heard, anyway. ;)

I stand corrected.
'That's the single-most outrageous transgression I ever heard about!'

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2004, 05:51:28 AM »

Another similarity- both have met with Presidents: Clint with Ronald Reagan and Elvis with Richard Nixon and George Bush, although that was in 1972 before he was elected (not the current President, don't wanna confuse you).

Also, both have played singers in their films (contrary to popular belief Elvis did not play a singer in ALL of his films, very few actually, he always played a singing frogman or singing doctor or something, not a proffesional singer).

Both have recorded music outside of their films.

Eddie Rabbitt who sang the title song of Every Which Way But Loose, wrote the Elvis classic Kentucky Rain.

Both have gotten 2nd billing in a film

Both were on commercials in the '50s

Both were born in the '30s

Both have had songs written about them (Clint Eastwood by some kind of modern band and Black Velvet by Allanah Miles)

Both play piano (I would say guitar, but I'm not really sure if Clint really plays, or if it was some kind of effect in Honkytonk Man)

Both have/will play(ed) boxers in a movie (Elvis in Kid Galahad and Clint in his upcoming picture)

Both have starred in films set during the Civil War- Elvis in Love Me Tender and Clint in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The Beguiled, and Josey Wales.

Clint starred with Burt Reynolds in City Heat, Burt's co-star in Smokey And The Bandit, Jerry Reed, wrote and played guitar on the Elvis classic Guitar Man.

Both had films with connections to boats- Elvis in Clambake and Clint in Blood Work.

Both have had Biblical scripture quoted in their films- Elvis in Change Of Habit and Clint in Josey Wales and Pale Rider.

Both wee offered award-winning or award-nominated roles and turned them down: Clint turned down Men In Black and Elvis (or the Colonel, I should say) turned down West Side Story.

Frank Sinatra was originally cast as Harry Callahan. The 1960 Welcome Home Elvis TV special was hosted by Frank Sinatra and he also co-starred with Frank's daughter, Nancy Sinatra, in Speedway.

Great additions, Adam S.
Thanks!  :D

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2004, 06:52:49 AM »

And while Elvis was alive, you could add ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of cells in their bodies ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of molecules in their cells ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of atoms in their molecules ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of subatomic particles in their atoms ...   ;)

Man, they were practically separated at birth!  :o

Veeeeerrrryyyy fuuuunnnnyyyyy  8)

Sure, and while Elvis was alive you could also say: both were men, both had hair, both ate food, both wore shoes both went to the bathroom, both had parents, both had children, both had underarm deodorant, both had nose hair....... ;D
Twins I say, TWINS!  So....does that mean one's name should be Clint Presley, or is it Elvis Eastwood?!  ;)
Clint was born in 1930.....and.....then his rock 'n' roll twin 5 years later??!?!?  ??? :o :P :-*
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:25:01 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2004, 09:01:18 AM »

Both put their pants on one leg at a time. ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2004, 09:23:05 AM »

Both put their pants on one leg at a time. ;)

How would you know something as controversial as that?!  :D

Not exactly a positive quality, but both also had extramarital affairs.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:24:25 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 09:27:10 AM »

Another difference:  Elvis made some movies that feature race-car driving in them, whereas Clint hasn't.

“Eyuh.”
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »

Here's another one:

They both kept/keep in top shape!  ;D

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2004, 02:21:18 PM »

Both wore cowboy hats...... :)

zach54

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2004, 04:01:52 PM »

They both dated Sondra Locke......... ;D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 05:42:38 AM »

You're kidding, right zach?  In all of the literature I've read on Elvis, Sondra's not mentioned once. :o

One of Clint's appearances on tv was CBS's Rawhide; Elvis last appearance on tv was his CBS special Elvis In Concert.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:51:23 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2006, 06:44:50 AM »

This thread gave me a chuckle,especially KC's post.
And while Elvis was alive, you could add ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of cells in their bodies ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of molecules in their cells ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of atoms in their molecules ... both of 'em have a whole bunch of subatomic particles in their atoms ... ;)

Man, they were practically separated at birth! :o

The only connection I have ever made between the two was in Paint Your Wagon where Clint sang Gold Fever.The song had that Presley sound to it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 01:26:39 AM »

I never saw either of em with a fringe.....  ;D

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »

Thanks for reviving that thread, tgy! Somehow, I missed it  :o :D

Interesting similarities  8)

I never saw either of em with a fringe.....  ;D
Clint with a fringe? :o
Thanks for putting that picture in my head, Gant  ;D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

i was wonderin what elvis would have made of honkytonk man - ok probably a complete mess
I don't think hat it would have been a mess. Actually, i feel If Elvis was alive then and not in the physical situation he was It would have been a very interesting vehicle for him.

Marinna Hill= YUMMY
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:05:52 PM by KC » Logged
focus

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 07:49:33 AM »

In Clint's most recent biography "Billion Dollar Man", he refers to everyone in show biz were having a hard time with success during his "Rawhide" years, except Elvis Presley who was at the top of success and popularity in comparison with other performers in both music and movies
elvismovieguide

Come Sundown, Come Hell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »

-both made westerns, Elvis 4 & Clint 10

Elvis made three westerns;
Love Me Tender (1956)
Flaming Star (1960)
Charro! (1969)

Tickle Me (1965) has a little parody of western in it, but it isn't western.

And Elvis was a fine actor, d watch all his 50's movies and Flaming Star, then you'll understand. And I don't mean you Brian but someone else  :D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »

Wow, I missed the boat on this revival!

As Vik mentioned earlier on in this thread I couldn't have picked two different people.  True, but the reason is because I've been a fan of both for a long time. 

The original thought was to try to find some career connections, which obviously would mostly be in the field of acting and there's a handful of actors that have worked with Eastwood and Elvis.

Eastwood has made and continues to make entertaining movies and then there's Elvis' recordings; his legacy. 

What's indisputable is that both are American icons, with Elvis' legend looming larger than Eastwood's.  Possibly a hard pill to swallow for Clint's fans, but remember, I'm a big fan of his as well.

The major plus, from a fan's viewpoint, is that Clint is still alive and well and entertaining.  We can all still look forward to his upcoming projects with anticipation.

“Eyuh.”
bwaynef

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »

Elvis was a Clint fan. He particularly enjoyed Dirty Harry, not surprising due to the King's interest in firearms, law and order, etc. One similarity they definitely shared was that they became stars - huge mega-stars - because of the public, not the press. In fact, both of them were treated disdainfully by the tastemakers for a long time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T