News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's the Bad and who's the Ugly?  (Read 3271 times)
Rover

View Profile Email
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:04:42 AM »

According to the introduction of the main characters on my GBU DVD, Tuco is the Ugly and Angel Eyes is the Bad.

However, the film trailer, presented elsewhere on this site, shows Tuco when mentioning the Bad, and Angel Eyes when mentioning the Ugly.

The film description of GBU on this site sticks to Tuco as the Ugly. However, this description proves mistaken on another detail. It states: "Moving on towards their goal, they find themselves in the middle of a Confederate camp, with a fierce and seemingly unresolvable battle raging for a key bridge". Blue coats as Confederates?

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 06:28:29 AM »

I've always thought of Angel Eyes as "The Bad" and Tuco as "The Ugly".  That's how they're described in the movie and I believe that takes precedent over the trailer.  

“Eyuh.”
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 09:10:55 AM »

Eastwood is "The Good",  Angel Eye's is "Bad", Tuco is "Ugly".  
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 12:32:30 PM »

There's an error in the English-language trailer. Tuco is "Il Brutto" = "The Ugly" and Angel Eyes (who is called Sentenza in Italian) is "Il Cattivo" = "The Bad." This is clear from the titles in the film (if not by their behavior).

Thanks for pointing out the error on this site, Rover. I'll let the Webmaster know about it.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 01:25:23 AM »

Well I suppose that there can be some confusion between who's the Bad or the Ugly.

Ugly could mean either, like it was in the film, some ugly bandit who couldn't go a scene without some humour, or that ugly is an extreme of the bad.
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:52:14 AM »

Or it could mean that the individual is mud-fence ugly as in Tuco's case. Sorry Eli.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 06:17:41 AM »

There really isn't any confusion at all ... the characters are clearly identified by the titles both at the beginning and at the end . Blondy is "the good," Angel Eyes is "the bad," and Tuco is "the ugly." There could be some confusion about the degree of irony in the filmmakers' minds when the appellations were assigned.

As I said above, the English-language trailer is in error. The Italian title is Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, which translates as "The good, the ugly and the bad," which may have been the origin of the mistake in the trailer.

The mistake in the synopsis on this site has been rectified.  Thanks again, Rover. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T