News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite U.S. Cities  (Read 16107 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 03, 2004, 11:10:58 PM »

Since it's the 4th of July, how about we talk about our favorite cities that our members have either lived in or visited here in the United States. List your three favorites, show a few pictures... and tell us why you love it there.

I'll start us out...

#1  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The Ben Franklin Bridge, taking you from Camden, NJ to Center City Philadelphia

The Philadelphia Museum of Art (better known as the steps from Rocky)

This is the city I still consider home, although it's been about ten years since I've been there.  The thing I miss the most about Philly is being able to go out and get a great cheesesteak, and I miss just walking down the streets, smelling "Philly" and the "feel" of the city.

Pat's Steaks is famous, but the very best place I've ever had a steak was a few miles on the Jersey side of the Ben Franklin Bridge ... Big John's.  (2015 Edit:  They're closed now :( )

I actually prefer Jim's Steaks on South Street.

And there's nothing like the street pretzels you buy by the bag... street smog must add to the flavor because you just can't get anything like it anywhere else.

Last time I was in Philly, they were still 3 for a $1 in a brown bag.

#2 New York City, New York

Rockefeller Center

Radio City Music Hall

Empire State Building

Statue of Liberty

New York City is my second favorite city because one of the most wonderful women who ever lived brought me there when I was a kid and took me to all the sights above and many more. It was my grandmother, who saved up for years to take me to the "Big City" for a few days.  I'll never forget that week, and I'll never think of New York City without remembering her. It's my sentimental favorite.

#3  Tarpon Springs, Florida

Tarpon Springs is this really great, predominantly Greek town just outside Tampa near the Gulf of Mexico. There must be a dozen Greek Orthodox churches in this small town, and probably 30-40 Greek restaurants. It's also one of the largest exporters of sponges in the world.  The sponge docks at Dodecanese Blvd. are a great place to hang out, watch the fishermen and sponge divers clean their catches, have a few gyros and beers or some of the most incredible pastries you've ever had in one of the many bakeries. And no visit to Tarpon Springs is complete without a trip to Zorba's Nightclub to watch belly dancers. I've been to most cities in Florida, and this is my favorite.

Lots of great food and Greek pastries!

And you can watch the big fishing boats come in every day.

Here's two I took last time I was there...

So Happy Birthday, America! Let's hear about anyone else's favorite U.S. cities. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:08:53 PM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 05:16:24 AM »

Great thread Matt and excellent pictures. Brought back quite a few memories... :)

My favorite US city will always be San Francisco.
Beautiful City, Cool people, great music scene. nice climate.. I was lucky enough to spend quite some time in the city by the bay many years ago and have never forgotten it. A fascinating tour of Alcatraz, The Golden Gate Bridge... Got to practice my driving skills down Lombard..in fact all over the city. Had my first Arminian sandwich here..delicious. if I could live anywhere else in the world it would be here.

Next up.. NYC.. for almost the same reasons.... tho' I remember being there one christmas and being colder than I've ever been before... and I've been to the arctic circle !!!
Breathtaking architecture, my fave building The Chrysler, Running in Central Park. I saw Art Blakey at the Sweet Basil,a top jazz club, In fact great night clubs in general..Nell's etc. (I was younger then of course) Friendly people and great lookin' gals  ;)

Difficult to pick a 3rd.... had great times in Memphis,Nashville, New Orleans.. but they were all shortish visits.... So I'm gonna go for L.A. This was the first US city I ever visited..
I was only 18 and me and a pal scrounged  the money up for a flight and just kinda arrived.... had loads of adventures, more gorgeous gals  ;) ;)  Met some fantastic people, got to play at the Palomino , discoverd chilli dogs on sunset  (amongst other things  ;D) met Buddy Ebson at a party... made the local papers entertainment page, went to a filming of American Bandstand .. more good lookin' gals..... Reminds me of a Beach Boys song   ;D Generally had an amazing adventure and fell in love with America.....

For all the great times and wonderful people Ive met on my travels..

Happy Birthday America
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 11:31:23 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Fr@mus

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:31:00 AM »

As a Foreigner my list goes:

1) Washington D.C. for its Air & Space Museum, American History Museum, Smithsonian.
Government buildings and monuments let you know about US history and culture

2) New York. Cosmopolitan city, and you can find two sides: all the rush of Manhattan against peacefull Central Park. And of course, driving the state you will find Niagara falls, that is something
And as a musician I have the best instruments stores at the 48th and Broadway  ;)

3) Carmel. This is the city I will choose for living because reminds me Punta del Este, city of my country
Carmel is a natural beauty, and you find the spectacular Pacific 1 route. From San Francisco to San Diego is a must ride to do with a Harley ::)

Special Mention: Boston: One of the most beautiful cities. Bulidings full of history and european style in its streets and houses.
One of America's oldest cities, Boston is best explored on foot
Also you can learn about Revolutionary history in several Museums

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 09:40:14 AM »

Happy Birthday, America!!![/b]

No. 1 - San Francisco, California

This is beautiful Lombard Street and at certain times of the year is covered in beautiful flowers along both sides of the street.  Some of you may remember that this is the street Dirty Harry took Lt. Briggs (Hal Holbrook) on that wild ride.

And, of course, the Golden Gate Bridge and the quaint cable cars.

No. 2 - Jackson Hole, Wyoming

The beautiful Grand Teton Mountains providing you with spectacular views and such peace and quiet.

Quaint downtown with the antler arch that was seen in one of Eastwood's "Which Way" movies.

No. 3 - Carmel, California

Beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean as seen through the eyes of golfers at Pebble Beach Golf Course.

And, shop in the beautiful courtyards of downtown Carmel.

And,  stay at the Mission Ranch about which I had the most wonderful dream: ;)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 10:29:50 AM by mgk » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 10:31:33 AM »

My most favorite US city is of course my adopted home city, New York City. Matt, how could you fail to include any pictures of the most beautiful building in New York ... The New York Public Library?

I don't know why it's so hard to find good pictures of the Library's exterior on the Internet. There certainly aren't any on the Library's own overbusy, poorly organized site, which gets worse every time they redesign it. But the inside is beautiful, too!

(Click to see the above full-sized!)

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 04:55:21 PM »

New York, which I went to in 1997 for precisely two days! Only got to go up the Empire State Building and to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island but it was an amazing trip and I'm hopefully due to return for about 5 days, also taking in Boston, in September ;D

Washington D.C. was also a fantastic place to visit, and nearly my namesake, Alexandria, in Virginia, was also such a pretty place to see. In Washington, one of my favourite places to visit was the Lincoln Memorial, and Ford's Theatre. I've always been a big fan of Abe so this was a really profound experience for me.

Alexandria:

Also, Chicago! What a great city! I went there for a few days in March 2000. That was the last time I travelled across the pond. In Chicago, I went to the Museum of Science and Industry and saw a fantastic Titanic exhibition.

Cleveland was also a great place to visit. I went to the Rock and Roll Museum there.

If I had scanned my photos in of these places, and had them on a website, I would have loved to have posted them instead!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 06:23:42 PM »

Yay Ally! You added an Ohio city to the list! ;) ;D

I've got no new cities to add to the list. I haven't traveled much in my life, but I did enjoy my trip to Washington DC and a trip I took to Chicago a few years ago. Both trips I took with my school. I took a boat ride in Chicago after dark, and the city looked absolutely awesome!

Oh, there is one I can add! I was there as part of my Washington trip:

Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania

I've looked a little for pictures but I can't seem to find any good ones. I took some pictures waaaay back when I took the trip when I was 14, but I don't have the photos with me now, or any way of posting any of them anyhow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 06:26:58 PM by Christopher » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »

Matt, how could you fail to include any pictures of the most beautiful building in New York ... The New York Public Library?

Well, my dear... I've never actually been there, so I was leaving that up to you. I'd hoped you'd post here. :)

And you know what? I just happen to have a few postcards of the New York Public Library handy here... sent to me a few years ago by a good friend. I'll add them to the pot:

The New York Public Library - Astor Hall

A view from Bryant Park of the west facade of the New York Public Library and the newly restored ceiling of the Rose Main Reading Room

The restored ceiling of the Rose Main Reading Room. The new murals give viewers the impression that they are looking through the ceiling directly up at the sky. The canvas panels that make up the murals were painted in an offsite studio, delivered to the Library in sections, and then painstakingly affixed to the reading room ceiling.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:29:04 PM by Matt » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 05:18:26 AM »

Funnily enough, Christopher, I too have been to Gettysburg! I did the Civil War tour. This was part of my trip to NY, Alexandria and Washington D.C. in February '97. I have some pictures of there too but I'd have to scan them in and send them to Matt first to get them on here. Matt, is your website still full? ;)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 11:04:40 AM »

Ally, you can host them on ImageShack. I've been using that since you told us about it.
Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 07:47:05 AM »

I've only ever been to Memphis, Tupelo, Nashville and Las Vegas and out of 'em all I loved Vegas the best I reckon.

But Memphis and Nashville were also great especially Graceland and the Sun Studios

I love the US

FANTASTIC

Guess you didn't here the lady..... did you Boy!
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 05:43:41 AM »

Thanks for reminding me about ImageShack, Matt, I had forgotten! I'll scan a selection of my pics in this week and post them here if anyone wants to see them.

The good news is, the trip to NY and Boston is going ahead! I had wanted to save NY til last but because of the way the flights have worked out, I'll be going to NY first, with my boyfriend, for 5 nights, and then Boston for 6, from Aug 30 - September 10. Perfect timing - we'll be in NY the week of the Republican National Convention so we were lucky to get a decent hotel at the last minute! We'll be staying about 8 blocks from the Empire State Building, not far from Grand Central Station. We haven't sorted out our accommodation for Boston yet but that's next on the agenda! Then to plan what we'll do there. I've been to NY before, 7 1/2 years ago, but only for 2 days, but at least I have an idea of the sorts of things we can do.

I'm really looking forward to this trip! Then I'm back home for 2 weeks, and then off to Paris for 2 months...yes, it's a hard life ;D

Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 11:18:09 PM »

Not Seattle ! I was there in 1982 and "Surprise, surprise" (Gomer Pyle - it rained constantly and heavy too !!).

I did like the trout swimming up the sides of the stairs in the Maritime Museum though - that was certainly unique.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
blonde

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 10:29:35 PM »

My favorite so far is still San Francisco.  I haven't travelled across the world YET, but from what I have done I love SF.  
tempest

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 10:56:55 PM »

My favorite citiy shall always be where I was born and raised, Sweet Home Chicago.
It just saddens me that I shall probably never live there again. :(

Last time I tried living there I was rolled on a train, jumped by a gang, roughed up by a Dirty Harry wannabe cop,  shot at, and ended up living homeless on the streets for a month

I guess it's true, you can never go home again. :(
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 12:38:44 AM »

P-town is my favorite city.  Poquoson, Virginia.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 01:17:21 AM by Conan » Logged

blonde

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 08:25:49 PM »

This is a picture from Dana Point, California last night at sunset.  Isn't it beautiful.  I grew up about 5 miles from this point.  

I'm sure Chessie has been there since she lives close by.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 08:26:21 PM by blonde » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 08:42:11 PM »

I've only been to a few U.S cities, none of them all that big. I've been to Buffalo several times, all for hockey games. I've been going to Watkins Glen, N.Y. since '99 and it's a nice little town. Looking out over Lake Seneca is always nice and or going up to the top of one of the hills and looking down on the town at sunset is nice. I can't remember much about the Pocono's as we were only there for two days to see a NASCAR race. However, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina has to be the best place in the States I've gone too. Damn it's an awsome place. The mini-put courses there are amazing!! And there was this one pizza place there that had some damn good pizza and we went there every time we were down there. Beautiful place.

Some of the U.S. cities I want most want to visit are:

New York City
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 08:58:04 PM »

How about Los Angeles?  ;D ;D

Please, no deep breaths,

A lot of people think L.A is always like that. My High School is in Downtown and it is rarely ever like this. The buildings look really great from our campus at night.

City Hall

The new Cathedral that was built is really nice. I've been there a few times, it is huge inside.

Altar View

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 04:49:55 PM »

I'm feeling a lot of love toward Ohio today. No city in particular, just 51% of Ohio. Great state!  :D
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T