News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood to direct WWII drama for Spielberg  (Read 69156 times)
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2005, 02:54:31 PM »

I am very glad to hear about this film.  I read both of Bradley's books, Flags of our Fathers, and Flyboys.  I highly recommend both books to those who have not read them.  I am a History buff, and World War II is a point in time that I read about often.  Clint Eastwood should at the least have a support role, or merely a cameo in the film.  That seems most suitable for such a project, and would liven my excitement over it that much more.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »

Eastwood should at the least have a support role, or merely a cameo in the film.

Hi Meridico.  Eastwood is on record as saying that he doesn't want to do cameos.

KC posted in the Director cameos thread HERE an Eastwood quote from the Boston Globe, November 7th 2002.
Don't look for Eastwood in this movie [ Mystic River ]. He's not into cameo roles. "None of that Alfred Hitchcock stuff for me," he says, smiling.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »

It seems that during World War II, LST 325 was not used in the Pacific theatre, but in Europe.

But the same class of ship was used in landings in the Pacific, so that should work nicely for the movie.

It's a small detail to those of us that weren't involved, but I wonder whether the production design people on Flags of our Fathers (will it be Henry Bumstead?) will temporarily paint over the ship's number 325 with the number of a ship that was present at Iwo Jima in 1945.

According to THIS Historynet.com article, LST-779 landed at Iwo Jima, and was the ship from which a marine took the flag that was famously raised on Mount Suribachi.

The second American flag flies triumphantly over Iwo Jima. The first flag to be raised on Mount Suribachi was considered too small to be recognized at a distance, and a larger banner was obtained from LST-779.

You can see the LSTs lined up on the beach.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »

Hi Meridico.  Eastwood is on record as saying that he doesn't want to do cameos.

KC posted in the Director cameos thread HERE an Eastwood quote from the Boston Globe, November 7th 2002.
He IS into cameos for his family members, though, so look for Dina or a child or two in bit parts.  :)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »

Good point KC. O0
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2005, 06:32:52 PM »

Did anyone see these websites?

http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/
http://www.spielbergfilms.com/flagsfathersnews.html
http://www.jamesbradley.com/flagsmovie.cfm

Maybe it's not NEWS to you all (if it's OLD news, wouldn't that actually be OLDS?  I digress), but thought I'd share in case someone missed the links.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2005, 06:51:58 PM »

I hadn't seen them. Thanks, movie_guy!
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »

Thank you movie_guy!  That is great stuff. O0  I am feeling very excited about this film now.  I'm imagining...the realism of Band of Brothers but with the Eastwood genius, especially with dark material, and a powerful story with potential for sweeping scenes, about a major world event with so much resonance even today.

Of course I dunno how it'll be tackled, but imagine the noir of Million Dollar Baby put into a war film.  8)

http://www.jamesbradley.com/flagsmovie.cfm
Now we were doubly blessed. Clint Eastwood! The Oscar winner--Best Film and Best Director—for his Million Dollar Baby. I personally felt there was also a backstory that united these projects. With Flags of our Fathers I endured 27 rejections by publishers over a period of two years. And Mr. Eastwood’s Million Dollar Baby got the thumbs down from all of Hollywood until he eventually got it launched.

Some things are just meant to be.  8)  (How in the hell did 27 publishers reject the book! :o)

Seems that Eastwood is taking on John Wayne's territory again (Sands of Iwo Jima) and will no doubt be superior. ;)

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2005, 09:08:41 PM »

http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/
Currently, Eastwood and his film crew plan to start shooting around August or September of 2005 in Iceland and parts of New Zealand.

From VisitReykjavik.is on 19th May 2005
LINK
Representatives of Clint Eastwood's corporation, Malpaso Productions have been in Iceland lately to look for possible filming areas for a big movie production, based on the book Flags of our Fathers. Black sand is the landscape they are looking for and three places have mainly been looked at; Sandvik in Reykjanes, Arnarfell in Krysuvik, and Thorlakshofn.

Soon it will be decided if Iceland or New Zealand will be selected as a shooting place, since it is important to use the summer for filming. Key scenes of the film will be shot in Iceland if it will be chosen, such as the invasion to Iwo Jima. The biggest scenes would involve around 700 people.

I wonder if they'll shoot anything in Japan at all?  Perhaps some wider shots and views of Suribachi. 

There doesn't seem to be much news about the "twin" film from the Japanese perspective.  Perhaps more of that would be done in Japan, and requires more arranging.  I wonder if they intend to shoot that after the first film, as a follow-up?

An Icelander on the IMDB message board for this film (LINK)seems to think that of the three locations mentioned, KrĂ­suvĂ­k is the one that's been chosen.  That also seemed to be the name prominent in some Icelandic articles online, but I can't read them.  (KC, do you do Icelandic?) 

Anyway, as the quote above says, all the locations have black sand, which is what you get at Iwo Jima.  KrĂ­suvĂ­k is in southwest Iceland, and has an extensive volcanic system.

Check out all that lava!  That's why the sand is black.

It supports the famous Blue Lagoon that you may have heard of or visited.

A great place for Clint to be on location!  He'll HAVE to take a dip in the hot, healing lagoonal waters!

I wonder if they are taking the ship LST-325 to Iceland (!) or using it in the US.  And up to 700 people in the biggest scenes!  Quite a change from Million Dollar Baby.  Clint can only surpass himself by getting even more ambitious...great to see him diversifying (yet again) like this.

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2005, 09:07:30 AM »

This is from last February, when the Iwo Jima 60th anniversary commemorations were taking place, but I can't see a similar story on here, and there are a couple of nice quotes.

From The Independent, San Francisco Edition. 
http://sfindependent.com/article/index.cfm/i/022405n_vets

I've bolded the Eastwood-related bits.

Actor honors actions of Iwo Jima vets
Eastwood will film movie based on flag raising.
By Jo Stanley | Staff Writer

An emotional commemoration of the battle for Iwo Jima drew a low-key appearance by actor-filmmaker Clint Eastwood, whose upcoming movie will re-enact the story of the six men who famously raised the American flag there in the midst of fierce fighting 60 years ago.

"Flags of our Fathers," written by the son of one of those six, has become a best seller. Retired Lt. Gen. Lawrence Snowden told a large gathering at the Marines' Memorial Club on Wednesday that each of the aging survivors of that pivotal battle, which eventually gave the United States the air base it had sought near Japan in 1945, has dramatic stories that should be told.

"I tell them, don't be bashful," he said.

Eastwood, who appeared without the usual Hollywood retinue of handlers and hangers-on, mingled casually among the veterans during breaks. He said he was hoping to get in touch with some of the soldiers mentioned in the book that James Bradley wrote about his father, naval medical corpsman John Bradley, and his companions.

The six young men who struggled to plant the flagpole on the island's highest point were memorialized by an Associated Press photographer, but three of them died not long afterward.

Nearly all the 20,000-plus Japanese soldiers who tried to defend the outpost died there, along with some 6,000 Americans.

Snowden was 23 when he headed a rifle company of even younger Marines that lost half its members to death or injury. He still vividly remembers how it felt to inch forward on the beach while being fired on from heavily armored tunnels.

"They had a turkey shoot the first four or five days," Snowden said. "It was just an awful, awful experience to go through."

He said he had confidence that Eastwood, with whom he chatted several times at the gathering, would be faithful to the book.

Snowden, who went on to serve as a chief of staff for the military in Japan after World War II, said he's skipped most of the cinematic versions of wartime.

"My friends continually expect me to see every war movie on the screen, but I don't go," he said. "I've seen it all. I don't need to see it again."

Eastwood wasn't sure when his film would begin shooting, but he's done a lot of research already.

"I'm trying to get a feel for all these people," he said. "I think it's important for the world to know what they did."

Certainly sounds like Eastwood is very concerned with being respectful and accurate.

(I checked out the Marines' Memorial Club site.  There's no mention of Clint, but transcript and video of Lt Gen. Snowden's speech that he attended are HERE.)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2005, 01:56:17 PM »

Thanks for the links, movie_guy!

Nice article Lilly  O0
Nice to see he feels so concerned about what really happened. So many filmmakers today would just make their movie and that would be it

I didn't know they would shoot in Iceland, great place anyway  O0

Can't wait to see the movie  :)

I'm imagining...the realism of Band of Brothers but with the Eastwood genius, especially with dark material, and a powerful story with potential for sweeping scenes, about a major world event with so much resonance even today.

Of course I dunno how it'll be tackled, but imagine the noir of Million Dollar Baby put into a war film. 8)
8) Yes, Band Of Brothers is also what came to mind when I first heard Spielberg and Eastwood were going to make a movie about Iwo Jima.

Sounds great to me ...

Spielberg and Eastwood ... the perfect association  8)
I think this movie will rock -just a hunch  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Grizzled

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2005, 02:30:36 PM »

I wonder how much of the movie will be taken up by the scenes on Iwo Jima? Is there a possibility that people anticipating a Private Ryan-style bloodbath may end up disappointed?
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »

I wonder how much of the movie will be taken up by the scenes on Iwo Jima? Is there a possibility that people anticipating a Private Ryan-style bloodbath may end up disappointed?

I haven't read the book (and have now decided not to until I've seen the movie, but then I definitely will), but isn't a lot of the story about the son's discovery of his father's deeds?  (To think he never told anyone he was in the famous photo!)

Perhaps that will be the framing story, a bit like The Bridges of Madiosn County in a way; the next generation learning their parent's unspoken past.

I've got no idea how much battle scenes will be in the film, but I personally wouldn't be disappointed if this wasn't a pure war film with a "bloodbath".  Surely Eastwood will go his own way in his own style, so I don't think we should expect this to be like anything, Saving Private Ryan included.  (I can't bear that movie anyway - I wouldn't expect Eastwood to be so over-the-top with the sentimentality, but that's just my view.)

The thing is, Iwo Jima was a bloodbath, so if Eastwood is intending this to be a realistic portrayal of that slice of war (which the various news articles suggest is so), there is bound to be some hard battle footage.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he also delves into the quiet times of a soldier's experience too, and the dark emotions that he is so adept at portraying.

Just my 2 cents. :)  Perhaps someone who has actually read the book can make some more informed comments.
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2005, 10:51:55 PM »

I haven't read the book (and have now decided not to until I've seen the movie, but then I definitely will), but isn't a lot of the story about the son's discovery of his father's deeds?  ...

I've got no idea how much battle scenes will be in the film, but I personally wouldn't be disappointed if this wasn't a pure war film with a "bloodbath". 

You SHOULD read the book!  It will remove ALL doubt.  Imagine a story that is about LIFE; several people from VERY diverse backgrounds, whose lives just HAPPEN to intersect on Iwo Jima - and what happened to each of them during and after the battle.  You'll also get to know a few of the guys who didn't raise the flag.

It's about as amazing of a story as you'll ever read, but I did see a COUPLE of MINOR details that were a little bit wrong (I can be a nit-picker, but don't want to say it's bad at all), but it's probably one of the most worthwhile stories I have ever read, PERIOD.  You will agree it's not about death, blood and entrails, severed stumps, and so on.  I felt like Windtalkers was about as "stumpy" as they could do, but Flags - the book - is NOTHING like that, and I am quite sure that Spielberg and Eastwood are not about that kind of movie-making.

So rest your head.  It's a GREAT book, and worth reading more than once (this, coming from a guy who reads most books only about halfway because they get tiresome).  I gave my copy away on a plane trip, but fully intend to buy another copy.  And I'll bet I'll give that one away, too!  It's that FINE of a STORY - because Bradley truly caught the essence of these guys' lives without going on and on about their deaths.  Some gory stuff (as can be understood), but when one of the guys dies, you won't think "Ohhh, GROSS!" - you'll think, "Oh, NO! I feel like I KNEW him! What a tragedy!"

Damn emotional, and if Clint captures all of that, he'll be doing a FIRST!  An accurate historical battle where we all get to know a bit of the real people, and we will FEEL a sense of LOSS for the guys and a sense of triumph for the human spirit to go through it and see the many ways we can all deal with the horrors.  Very poignant with our boys in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other places these days. 

The movie will most likely touch a chord in people like the book does, and bring us all a little closer.  You won't see these guys as joining the military because they were dummies with no prospects for anything better, but guys who felt a sense of OBLIGATION - something I don't think draft dodgers would ever comprehend unless they read the book.  Does that make sense?

==========================

And I would think that shooting in Iceland would be easier because I'm SURE there are a LOT of VERY unstable unexploded munitions on Iwo today - FAR too dangerous for a film crew.  And last I read, Iwo has almost no living creatures on it these days - NO BUGS AT ALL.  But they were there at the start of the battle, so they'd need to capture that if possible.

Semper Fi,
--Rob
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »

Hmmm...  Good question!  Some people DO like the Freddy Kruger slasher-flick stuff, but the book is nothing like that.  So I would have to say that anyone looking forward to seeing all the pools of blood and tattered stumps will likely be very disappointed.  The STORY won't require a blood-and-gore SFX crew to make this story like the book, but the acting will need to be REALLY right. 

Have you read the book?

Semper Fi,
--Rob
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2005, 02:01:30 AM »

Both your posts Lilly and movie_guy, have really grabbed my interest and I plan to read the book first.  That is something I don't normally do.  I like to see the movie get the places and people in my mind then read the book, to see how well it has been interpreted by either the scriptwriters or by the director.  I don't do this with every movie of a book, of course,  but the ones that hold my interests and leave me wondering a little.
Grizzled

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2005, 06:52:58 AM »

Hey Lilly,

Thanks for the reply and I agree with your comments (well, apart from the jab at 'Ryan', a movie I'm rather fond of). ;) I think my original question was motivated by messageboard remarks I've read elsewhere from people eagerly anticipating another Saving Private Ryan. Yes, I've read enough about the history of Iwo Jima to know what a horrific, bloody experience it was for those who were there (I've also read Eugene Sledge's devastating 'With The Old Breed', a first hand account of the Marines in the battle for Pelelieu and Okinawa) but from what little I know of 'Flags Of Our Fathers' the emphasis appears to be on the stories of the flag raisers before and after the war. So I wouldn't be surprised if Flags ended up as a two and a half hour character piece with just 10 minutes of war footage in it.

And movie_guy, no - I haven't read the book although, like Lin, I think I will. Normally, if a movie is coming out that I'm looking forward to and it's a book adaptation I tend to stay away from the book until I've seen the movie but in this case I think I'll make an exception. Of course no one knows what changes Paul Haggis has made in adapting the book for the screen although I can't think of a better screenwriter to adapt the book, that's for sure.
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2005, 09:06:48 PM »

Lin, Griz, and everyone else:

You will really feel like this book is very different from the "typical" war book.  I like Saving Private Ryan, thought The Thin Red Line was good (VERY different type of movie!) but sort of hard to sink in with, and the Band of Brothers series.  But this book is still just a bit different, and I am really looking forward to seeing a good movie adaptation JUST THE WAY IT IS.

So you can see my thoughts on war movies and see if your tastes are similar, I offer some thoughts (NOT trying to go O/T):  I was NOT a fan of Windtalkers, which was OKAY, but was more about guys getting "blowed up" and didn't really do justice to the TRUE story of the Navajo Code Talkers - not to mention it was chock-full of historical and technical inaccuracies.  Oh, and Nicholas Cage makes for a pretty inconvincing Marine Sergeant (if I ever had a sergeant who acted like him, I would have thought he was a real candy-ass - OOPS! Did I just say that?).  The original Sands of Iwo Jima was a stirring propaganda flick, but not something I block off a couple hours on the weekend to watch.  The DI with Darren McGavin was pretty entertaining for a movie of its type.  An Officer and a Gentleman was chick-flick all the way through, but Lou Gossett REALLY did GREAT.  For portraying a Marine, R. Lee Ermey is GREAT (he ought to play Chesty Puller).

Well, enough of my rambling.  If you liked the same movies I did, odds are good you'll like the book.  If you didn't and would rather watch a Mel Gibson movie or The Birdcage or something, then you'll merely LIKE the book.

HTH, and Semper Fi,
--Rob
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2005, 09:13:38 PM »

Oh and I didn't think to mention the cute love story in Pearl Harbor was surrounded by ONE OF THE WORST movies I have EVER seen!  If I had a choice between watching Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Pearl Harbor, it would be Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - TWICE!   :D
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2005, 02:20:20 PM »

Here is a good article about the movie from 'The Carmel Pincone'.

http://www.carmelpinecone.com/050617-1.html

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T