News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood to direct WWII drama for Spielberg  (Read 69153 times)
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2005, 02:48:16 PM »

wow exciting - i hope it won't be like saving private ryan - it will be clint so will be a masterpiece
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 02:54:00 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »

Thank you Dannyman!  That's a great article. O0

It has some interesting info on shooting methods:

“They want us to come and shoot, but it’s sacred ground for them, and because of the memorial aspect, I can’t use a bunch of pyrotechnics to create the mayhem the way it was,” Eastwood said. “Also, I can’t take a ton of equipment and men over there and have [the Japanese] all of a sudden say, ‘You can’t do that.’”

So while wide shots of Iwo Jima, to be overlaid with digitally created invasion ships and airplanes, will be filmed on the island itself — along with a possible recreation of the famous flag raising — the combat footage will be shot on the desolate, black sand beaches of the far North Atlantic.

One of the movie’s scenes will be a massive parade through Times Square. Another will be a huge “Buy Bonds” rally at Chicago’s Soldier Field. Other scenes will recreate Hawaii’s Camp Tarawa (where U.S. troops trained for the Iwo Jima invasion), the dedication of the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, Va., and the home towns of the six flag raisers — including Appleton, Wisconsin; Manchester, New Hampshire, and Arizona’s Pima Indian Reservation.

“Everything has to look as real as possible,” Eastwood said.

“The Warner Bros. art department even asked me, ‘What did the front porch look like where [flag raiser] Harlon Block’s family got the news he had been killed?’” Bradley recalled.

Really sounds like they're going all out for this.  8)

And the first info on the "sister" film:

Eastwood will shoot a companion piece about the invasion from the Japanese point of view. “It will be like a documentary, telling the story of the men who defended the island, their tenacity, and what it was like to have this armada coming at them.”

"Like a documentary"...so I guess we can expect a docu-drama?  Not quite a complete mirror movie then - but that would have been a huge undertaking.  This sounds like the best that could realistically be done and it sounds fantastic.  The cynic in me is just wondering whether the Japanese government asked him to do it, possibly as a condition of filming at Iwo Jima. ???  Although I'm sure Clint would be interested and want to show the other side anyway, which is a noble thing to do, and in the spirit of these modern times.

Eastwood:
“I just want the people who end up seeing these pictures to feel how the story happened, how these skinny kids were affected, and how they were a lot tougher than we are today.”

Great reason!  O0  Every time I read something about this film I get more excited to see it! 8) 8) 
movie_guy

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2005, 08:02:15 PM »

Thanks, Dannyman - an interesting article!  I'll be sharing it with my friends, for sure...

I think the documentary going with the movie would be something that could be done while they're doing the filming for the main movie, seeing how it would cost a LOT less to just add some digital footage (fewer actors needed, etc) while they're there.

Also, while preparing to film, they'll need to know the locations of all the Japanese military emplacements, how effective they were, and so on.  Obviously, they'll be researching this VERY well to get the action scenes as accurate as possible.  And, OBVIOUSLY, this won't be another "Pearl Harbor," which totally ignored some of the truly finest stories of the REAL people who were WELL researched and written about in the book "At Dawn We Slept" by Gordon Prange.  Now THAT, my friends, is an amazing bunch of short stories about Pearl Harbor!

Anyway, I just plain HAVE A GOOD FEELING about this movie, and am convinced this will be well worth watching in the theater, buying on DVD, and talking about with friends and family.  The book HAS been that way for me, and I just think it'll be RIGHT.  Now, I hope my anticipation doesn't lock my mind into a channel of thought, only to disappoint me if the movie doesn't match my preconceived notions.

Well, so I won't think too much about it, but I am really looking forward to seeing it.  And like I say, the book is SUPERB!

BTW, did anyone see the show about the battle for Iwo Jima last night on the History Channel?  It was hosted by PJ O'Rourke.  VERY good.

Semper Fi,
--RG
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »

Like Lilly, I am really looking for ward to seeing this movie.   The more I hear about it the more I want to know.  I like the idea of the documentary being shot at more or less the same time.   It will be interesting to see the Japanese point of view.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2005, 12:22:17 PM »

The cynic in me is just wondering whether the Japanese government asked him to do it, possibly as a condition of filming at Iwo Jima. ??? 

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading Dannyman`s  The Carmel Pincone-article/post(thanks!).

Whatever the reasons are for the documentary I´m almost as intrested in to see it as I´m intrested in to see the Flags Of Our Father film itself.

It`s intresting to see what kind of cast Eastwood would pick since he`s not going to use any so called old and familiar actors.

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2005, 01:27:54 PM »

also how much digital footage he will use

interesting article
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 02:05:14 PM by vik » Logged

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2005, 05:57:51 AM »

from the daily telegraph (needs registration)

Japan honours US dead at Iwo Jima
By Colin Joyce in Tokyo
(Filed: 20/06/2005)

maybe mr clint has prodded some japanese to

a piece on iwo jima - in it is a picture of the flag raising by us troops

Junichiro Koizumi yesterday became Japan's first serving prime minister to visit Iwo Jima in what analysts say is an effort to counter his image as a nationalist and revisionist.

Mr Koizumi paid his respects alongside bereaved Japanese and representatives of the American army

He made his visit during a ceremony marking one of the Second World War's most symbolic battles in which American troops first captured Japanese territory 60 years ago. The moment was caught in an iconic photograph of troops hoisting the Stars and Stripes on the island's peak, Mount Suribachi.

Mr Koizumi joined about 100 bereaved Japanese and representatives of the American army in Japan to pay his respects.

He said: "Over 28,000 Japanese and American lives were lost on Iwo Jima. I believe today's peace and prosperity is built on their noble sacrifice. Since the Second World War, Japan has never once participated or become involved in war and has maintained peace.

"From now on, too, we must never forget the tragic lessons of war. We must progress towards friendly relations between nations and must actively strive to create lasting world peace."

Mr Koizumi also laid a wreath at the island's memorial to the 7,000 American soldiers killed in the one month battle in February 1945. The tiny island, around 800 miles south of Tokyo, is now a Japanese military base. The islanders were moved to the mainland after the war.

Iconic: the moment American troops conqered Iwo Jima
Mr Koizumi has been attacked, especially in China, for repeatedly visiting Tokyo's controversial Yasukuni shrine. The shrine commemorates executed war criminals alongside 2.5 million Japanese war dead.

He has sought to explain that Japan is a pacifist country and that he visits Yasukuni only to pray for world peace and for the souls of all those killed

His visit to Iwo Jima is also seen as an attempt to stress that he is a man of peace rather than an admirer of Japan's wartime leaders. He has recently paid respects at Tokyo's Chidorigafuchi memorial to unknown soldiers, which is not tainted with the controversy of nearby Yasukuni.

Mr Koizumi went to Moscow for VE Day last month, which previous Japanese prime ministers have not attended. Next week he will visit Okinawa, south-western Japan, where memorial services traditionally emphasise the waste of lives caused by Japanese militarism.

LINK
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 06:27:57 AM by KC » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2005, 06:29:29 AM »

Vik, I edited your link to make it a titled link so it wouldn't affect the format of this page.

In the future, let's stick to posting stories here that actually have something to do with Eastwood's film or the book it's based on, not just the battle of Iwo Jima in general.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2005, 06:37:30 AM »

if it hadn't been for clint going to japan this guy would not have acknowledged iwo jima (ok so thats what i think)

don't you think its more than just a coincidence though

or using the flag raising picture which i couldn't show

or perhaps even better he reads this website everyday  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 06:42:29 AM by vik » Logged

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2005, 07:56:22 AM »

if it hadn't been for clint going to japan this guy would not have acknowledged iwo jima (ok so thats what i think)

No, I don't think that.  I think this was a political move as stated in the article:

Junichiro Koizumi yesterday became Japan's first serving prime minister to visit Iwo Jima in what analysts say is an effort to counter his image as a nationalist and revisionist.

There is no mention of Mr. Eastwood and this section of our board should be limited to news that actually pertains to Mr. Eastwood.  That's what our members expect when they see a new post in the Eastwood News section.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2005, 07:57:56 AM »

cool

ceinjapan

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2005, 12:26:59 PM »

hello vik
as  Japanese i can not accept your idea.
Mr Koizumi has traveled to Okinawa,Hiroshima,Nagasaki,many places where Japanese soldiers and civilians died before.
He visited Yasukuni Temple where many war criminals slept,saying what they did,they died for Japanese country and people while china and South Korea blame his visiting.
Just he has not have chance to go to Ioujima before.
i am afraid my English enough to understand.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »

cool ceinjapan - i understand - and accept what you say and thanks for putting your point of view it helps us to get a better picture of japan

and it is nice he  remembers both americans and japanese

ceinjapan

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2005, 10:01:09 PM »

yes vik!
and coming two pictures  will  help us to understand  both a lot.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2005, 09:34:44 AM »

only if its to do with clint ceinjapan

ceinjapan

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2005, 11:24:57 AM »

i found this on Josh Groban official site
he will be  one member of  flag risers?

Crooner acts on his love for film
After nearly 18 months on the road touring, singer Josh Groban is enjoying being back home in Hollywood, living life as a “real boy”.
Groban was discovered at the age of 18 by renowned producer David Foster when he asked to be an operatic rehearsal fill-in for Andrea Bocelli.
Since then his unique blend of neo-classical pop has broken the mould of modern classical records.
“At this very second, I’m enjoying being a real boy and being off the road for a bit,”
the 24-year-old says as he finally unpacks his bags.
Keen to add to his already impressive list of achievements, Groban is now turning his hand to film-making.
Acting has interested him since he appeared on the season finale of Ally Mcbeal singing You’re Still You.
“It’s a world I don’t know a whole bunch about,” Groban, who is dating actress January Jones, concedes.
“But there’s something just as powerful in music as there is in watching a great film. I’m fascinated by it.
I auditioned for a Clint Eastwood film the other day, and the script just blew my mind.
I love acting, and I’d love to get in front of the camera.”
Groban last visited Australia two years ago, promoting his self-titled debut album.
Since then, he has released three more albums, toured across Europe and the US and sold more than 10 million records worldwide.
Although he still describes himself as “very new to the business”, Groban has had his fair share of time in front of the camera.
His most recent project was Live At The Greek Theatre, a DVD filmed on tour.
Groban is yet to tour in Australia, but is in demand and hopes to get Down Under again soon.
For the moment, he’s writing new material and reflecting on the musical spectrum he’s been exposed to during his most recent tour.
Musically, I obviously want to stick with the kind of singing that I do, keeping the classical influences that I have,” Groban says.
“But I hope the next album has a little more of an eclectic vibe, a world feel, to it.
Hopefully, it will be more of a mature pop sound.”
Groban may be only in his 20s, but he says he has as much to write about those universal themes of love, life, work and loss as anyone else.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2005, 11:36:11 AM »

cool ceinjapan perhaps he could send the script this way ;)

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »

Thanks ceinjapan! 8)

Here is the link to Josh Groban's Warner Bros Records site:
http://www.wbr.com/joshgroban/

I wonder how many people are auditioning.  Casting must be a little more complicated for this movie, compared to other Eastwood films.

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2005, 12:29:43 PM »

does that mean that casting is now taking place and if but does that mean mr clint is actually involved or only the major parts

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2005, 06:58:05 PM »

Josh Groban ? Why not after all ...
All I know is he's got an amazing voice, as an actor, I can't say much, because in Ally McBeal, he wasn't really acting, he was singing  ;D

I can't wait to see this movie, and to know who's gonna star in it  :) ... I think Eastwood's right not to pick very well known actors

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T