News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows  (Read 43678 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »

I started watching the show years ago when TNN/Spike TV (whatever it was then) was airing re-runs in the morning, I believe. I managed to see a lot of episodes but missed most of season one and two. I caught the two (three?) parter where Crockett is hit by an explosion and wakes up to believe he is his undercover alias, Sonny Burnett. Man those were some good times. Especially when he killed that cop. The episode where he was forced to take a leave of absence and he took off to some hick town in Florida was hilarious. But that was in season 5 when the shows quality had taken a massive drop.

I'm currently going through the first season right now and damn if this wasn't a good show. I realize it was semi-cheese back when it premiered and it's cheese now but it's still pretty good. Some of the story lines are pretty dark and gritty.

The Ed O'Niel episode where he plays an FBI agent who turns is pretty good. The ending was quite a twist when they tell Crockett and Tubbs he hung himself because he couldn't take what he did.

But it's the episode I'm on now... The Golden Triangle that's good. I don't think any show today would have killed the one young guy who was so close to being free. Vice is a pretty cynical show for it's time. They really made you feel for this kid and just when you think they're free the one guy gets blown away out of nowhere. Crockett's reaction is great.

A-Team, MacGyver and Knight Rider were fun times and always had happy endings no matter how "gritty" or "dark" they tried being in some episodes. Vice didn't seem to care. It's a shame the quality dropped off so drastically. Even Mann alluded to this in the commentary for the movie Miami Vice. But for it's time it was a pretty cynical cop show. It didn't tip toe around anything and it didn't seem to mind showing how dirty and horrible some of the characters are.

And Edward James Olmos as Lt. Castillo was a great addition. His portrayal of the character is top notch. He doesn't play the over the top, always yelling and screaming police captain. He plays him calm and collected. Like nothing bothers the guy and nothing surprises him. He's a cold, cold man and Olmos is great.

And I don't care what people say Don Johnson, I think he's a pretty good actor. Not great or amazing but he is Sonny Crockett. Whether it's a slow scene or scene that calls for some more intense acting, he delivers in this show.

It really is a shame the show dropped in quality so drastically from season three on.

And just because... here's what made Vice famous: The 'In the Air Tonight' montage during the pilot episode.

Some more cool Vice videos:

Crockett and Tubbs in a boat heading to meet Calderone This could have worked as a season  or series finale of a thing too. That's if they had of decided to keep the Calderone angle open. This scene is shot perfectly and has a fantastic song playing over it as well.

A great scene between Crockett and Tubbs with a great score from Jan Hammer
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:20:43 PM by Brendan » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »

At the moment I'm watching lots of episodes of The Persuaders starring Tony Curtis and Roger Moore..

Greatest theme tune of all time
Awesome cars... Aston Martin/Ferrari 206 Dino
Great clothes.. (sort of  ;))

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »

At the moment I'm watching lots of episodes of The Persuaders starring Tony Curtis and Roger Moore..

I am not familiar with that show Gant. Was it a British show? I would love to see it. I am curious to hear the theme song as well since you mentioned it as being the greatest. I respect your opinions on music to an utmost level. The theme to Barney Miller is my favorite TV theme song.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:13 AM »

I'm like you Gant,I love that series !
Danny Wilde and Bret Sinclair !
The funny Tony Curtis and the so elegant Roger Moore !
I used to watch it every Saturday afternoon when I was young ...
Now, when I hear the theme on radio (for exemple), I feel nostalgia for that period of my life ... :'(

For the ones  who have never watched it : the original theme and opening  ;)
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=7561529240788029165&q=theme+of+the+persuaders&total=10&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:41:04 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »

Thanks for posting that  Sylvie.. Classic stuff.. As soon as I hear the opening bars (I gotta learn em on the piano someday) I too am instantly whisked back in time to those hazy summer sfternoons of my youth. The show wasn't one of the greatest but Moore and Curtis worked well together.. (I always wanted to be Danny Wilde, loved that Ferrari) and that opening title sequence is just the greatest.. Looks like a pic of Curtis from the great "Sweet Smell Of Success) in the opening titles...

I also agree with you Richard Earl... Barney Miller is a killer of a theme tune..Awesome drummin'.. I do wish the show would get repeated over here sometime.. If you get a chance to watch an episode of the Persuaders I'm sure you'll enjoy it.. it's of it's time of course. Another theme tune I love from that era is the one from The Adventurer. Check it out if you get a chance.

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »

I'm like you Gant,I love that series !
Danny Wilde and Bret Sinclair !
The funny Tony Curtis and the so elegant Roger Moore !
I used to watch it every Saturday afternoon when I was young ...
Now, when I hear the theme on radio (for exemple), I feel nostalgia for that period of my life ... :'(

For the ones  who have never watched it : the original theme and opening  ;)
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=7561529240788029165&q=theme+of+the+persuaders&total=10&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
Thank you for posting that link Sylvie. I really like the theme song. I listened to it three times. The opening piano reminds me Nadia's Theme (The Young & The Restless) somewhat.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »

Getting back to Miami Vice for a second...

This probably my favourite scene in Miami Vice:

The episode is about a retired Vice detective, Hank Weldon (Bruce McGill), who comes to Crockett & Tubbs with information that a drug lord from years ago is still alive despite reports the guy is dead. Weldon won't give up in his quest to prove himself right. Crockett and Tubbs even speak with Weldon's former partner (played a semi-young David Strathian) who says that Weldon lost it and was forced into retirement because he went crazy and ended up in some mental health hospitals.

But Crockett and Tubbs humour Weldon after he gives them some useful information on a planned hit of a drug dealer. He also gives them some info on a drug deal that's about to go down where this long thought dead drug lord will be. It turns out he's not there.

This then prompts Weldon to lose it and destroy his apartment and disappear. Tubbs receives a phone call from Weldon saying he has this drug lord and the guy is confessing. So Crockett and Tubbs race to find Weldon.

This is the final scene to the episode:

Out Where The Buses Don't Run - Episode 3, Season 2

Lang: He was my partner, you understand? You understand?!

Crockett: ...yeah.

What a way to start the second season. A great opener, followed by a decent episode then this one. Great, great episode.
Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »

Getting back to Miami Vice for a second...

Yes, that is a great episode.  Wasn't Bruce McGill also in A Perfect World by the way?  :)
I too have been watching the second season of Miami Vice, only have a couple episodes left and then I'll need to go and get the third season.

I am a big Miami Vice fan.  Edward James Olmos became one of my favorite actors because of this show.  He was super cool!  Also loved the fast cars, cool boats, the music, and also the guest stars.  Each time I put in the next episode, I'm thinking, "I wonder who's gonna be the big star to show up on this episode?"  And then for me, it's especially funny to see the fashion and styles back then that make me laugh about what it was like growing up in the 80's.   ;D

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man."  Ramon Rojo
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:34 AM »

Edward James Olmos was pretty fantastic as Lt. Castillo. His cold demeanor was the perfect balance to Crockett and Tubbs lavish Vice lifestyle. Also they didn't make his character your typical police chief; always yelling and being a hard ass. It was very rare you actually got emotion out of Castillo. Olmos certainly made the character his. He also used his frustration with Don Johnson to in the role as well. The scenes where Castillo and Crockett butt heads has actual tension since Olmos and Johnson didn't get along at all. They did a good job of not showing it on screen. You'd think they were great friends in real life if you watched the show.

And yes, Bruce McGill was in A Perfect World. He played Paul Saunders.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »

I miss Barney Miller. The 1st season was the only one released on dvd. There are not any of the cable stations showing reruns.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »

I miss Barney Miller. The 1st season was the only one released on dvd. There are not any of the cable stations showing reruns.

The second season of "Barney Miller" was released on R1 DVD a few months ago.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

There are sometimes that one show that did not last for a duration that you enjoyed. In the early 1980's there was a show called "Jennifer Slept Here" with Ann Gillian. It lasted one season if memory serves me correctly. The basic premise is a family moves into an apartment where there is a ghost named Jennifer who lived there sometime before. I loved that show as a child. Does anyone else remember it?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:49 PM »

Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

I remember getting the Official Man From U.N.C.L.E. gun for Christmas one year.  And what a cool gift THAT was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzzUUG4Wx8
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:04:42 PM by CvW » Logged
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »

The Persuaders
The Saint
Fawlty Towers
Monthy Python And The Flying Circus
Soap
Jeeves & Wooster
M*A*S*H
Fast Show
Blackadder
Secret Army
Hill Street Blues
Miami Vice

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:54:42 AM by Hemlock » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »

The Saint
Robin Hood
Mr. Ed
Soap
Blackadder
Bless This House
Liver Birds
The Lovers
The Likely Lads
Man About the House
MASH
Laugh In

Wow some of them really date me.    We got all of them in Australia.
Zebra 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »

Some faves:

- All in the Family
- Batman
- The Beverly Hillbillies
- Happy Days
- Hogan's Heroes
- Kojak
- Police Story
- Starsky & Hutch
- SWAT

'Huuutch!' - Starsky
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »

Only Fools and Horses.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

One Foot in The Grave. ;D ;D ;D ;D
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »

I liked Honey West, but I'm tired, so nothing else is coming to mind...

Goals are Great!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »

The original... The Prisoner..

Still my fave tv show of all time

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T