News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES: Audience Reaction 1: Your Overall Feeling  (Read 3793 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2004, 11:38:41 PM »

What is your overall feeling about this film? How would you rate it in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's films? How would you rate it in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's Westerns?

Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »

I rewatched the film again...  I think I liked it better the second time around then the first.  But I did try it out!  I left the first time going ah what a lame movie, second it was more this is good work feeling.  I don't think it's as good as some of the other work that he's done.  Josey isn't a movie that I would watch for pleasure like FOD, Play Misty For Me, Tightrope, etc.  its more one of those films you watch to, at least in my case, study for direction, story, character.  It's not a piece I'd pop in and show to all my friends.  I think it lives up to the quality that Clint produces, but it just doesn't compare with Unforgiven or the Dollars movies.  The placement that it falls into on my Clint western list is above Joe Kidd, For A Few Dollars More, and Hang Em High (though I love Hang Em High it's just this has better characters, story, and direction).   Compared to the rest of Clint's amazing films, it fares pretty well, I like alot better then some of the recently discussed films like Heartbreak Ridge and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.  I can easily see why this is considered a great movie, and I think it's a great achievement for Clint, especially when it was done and how it made people realize just how awesome he is.  But, it's not one I watch very often.  

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:11:28 AM »

I have seen Josey about 100 + times.  In my opinion that movie is Clint.  It draws together so many of his characteritics in one film it, to me, is awesome.

Now I am well aware that CE went on to make many more films after TOJW but that film hits you in the heart and touches on some major issues that confront each and everyone of us - at some time in our lives.

That is not to say some maniacs are going to 'murder' anyones Family - that is not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that the events and emotions that confront Josey are there in the world for us all to see and experience on different levels.  And Josey confronts those events and emotions in a unique way.  And in a way that is acceptable for the times.

Ourselves, we have to confront those issues in our own way and in accordance with what is acceptable for our time and place.

That is the power of the film: The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 06:46:20 AM »

I haven't watched Josey Wales in a while, but it's one of my favorites. Probably a top 10.

As far as the other westerns, it's up there at the top with Unforgiven.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:31:56 AM »

awesome

number 1

i think it is an epic western and came out when westerns were not popular  - it disproved all the critics to be popular then and popular now

it also showed westerns didn't have to be john wayne in your face - but could be more subtle with humour

i think also you have to contrast this with the earlier spaghetti westerns and how CE produced a style all of his own - how many actors can say they have turned director with such success

too much success for most critics one feels

maybe without josey wales you would not have got unforgiven

i think pale rider also had the subtleness and the cinematography and the struggle - but somehow the preacher wasn't josey or maybe the total effort wasn't there that was in josey wales

high plains drifter and hang em high are also great westerns but not quite the style of josey wales

like the spaghetti westerns you feel there is a bond in all CE westerns - maybe each one a progression - but i still think josey is the ultimate
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:50:56 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 06:43:05 AM »

Vik,

Agree on the Number One !!!

I go one further I guess and say it is, to my mind, the best film ever made.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 08:42:42 AM »

I think it is Eastwood's second best performance after Dirty Harry , I have a few moral issues with Josey Wales the man , SO thats why Harry callaghan, a cop , and good citizen wins the day .

Unforgiven just pips Josey Wales to the best Clint western award becuase I think it is more realistic  , but I think they are side by side companion peices in Clint's western filmography.

They both enrich the western tapestry to a level I never thought possible.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 08:47:03 AM by Will T. » Logged
ItsForYou

Drifter in the Desert

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »

It is one of the top three Eastwood films hands down. It is a movie masterpiece with the most interesting and well done characters a story could have. It is a sprawling multi-faceted tale that is very three dimensional in scope with a lot of interconnected stories. I find it a fascinating period piece as well, a historical fiction.

For me it is quintessential Eastwood.

The only man you can trust is a dead man...........or a gringo like me.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 09:33:06 AM »

"Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

I've always loved this movie.  It ranked after the Leone westerns until Unforgiven came along.  This movie is great for a rainy day.  I remember watching it a lot when it first came to cable, or, when I first saw it on cable on HBO or The Movie Channel.

This is one of those westerns you can return to time and again and not be disappointed.  A great movie.

“Eyuh.”
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 06:47:34 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 07:06:15 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T