News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint and Sylvester Stallone  (Read 23375 times)
AmateurActor

You talkin' to me?

View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »

Hi,

I don't know if this topic has been covered before but I recently watched Cobra again after many years and noted the similarities between it and Dirty Harry. It led me to wonder what the chemistry between Eastwood and Stallone would be like if they appeared in a film together?

Stallone has shown he can actually act in the excellent Copland, and I've always thought that Clint is very underrated as an actor, so I believe their chemistry would be very strong. However, although I've read quite a few times that Stallone greatly admires Clint, I'm not too sure if it's reciprocated. Has Clint gone on record with his opinion of Stallone and his work? They have both collaborated with many of the same actors (Geoffrey Lewis, Bill McKinney to name but two).

I would like to see the movie happen as a seasoned cop (Stallone) trying to solve a serial killer case and tempting the partner who showed him the ropes (Eastwood) to help him. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks  :)

Thanks
AA

"Cockamamie...now that's a word your generation hasn't embraced yet."
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 07:20:24 PM »

Andy Robinson was also in Cobra.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 04:00:24 AM »

HI:
              Cobra was one stupid movie. Certainly Stallone has had moments because of his 1st Rocky and his later writing and directing prowess, but I dont' see any comparisons with Eastwood. To be honest I dont see any comparisons with anyone. I think whats interesting about comparing Eastwood with alot of these guys today is that Eastwood certainly got better as a actor and a director as he got older. He definately changed where people like Reynolds, Bronson and even Stallone completely showed the safe way which to me especially Reynolds was his demise.

slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 08:12:42 AM »

Hello

I find it hard to put Sly and Clint on the same map yet alone the same catagory..sorry.Mr Eastwood is literate and although often an action hero like Sly he is one you can believe in.

I have just watched the re-runs of the Rocky films on UK tv and my opinions are tainted by the performance of Sly as Rocky Balboa (the 1st one was however a great feel good movie).

I realise these films were made a long time ago..but....has Mr Stallone changed that much....as an avid Michael Caine Fan i was reeling and nearly threw up when i saw the recent remake..of that classic Brit Gangster Flick "Get Carter"

The only time i would like to see Sly and Clint in a film together is if they ever made another "Every which Way" Film whereby Philo Came out of retirement and whooped Stallones ass all over America......that i would enjoy.

Cheers

Andy

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Buscemi

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 09:21:28 AM »

Actually I think this is a great idea. Stallone is very underrated. He put out some nice performances in Rocky (1+2), First Blood (1), Fist, Lock Up, Cliffhanger, Copland, Get Carter and Shade.

I think Clint should direct him. I'm sure he'd get an awesome performance out of Sly.
slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 09:27:35 AM »

Cmon now pls ....... the remake of Get Carter with Sly in ......pls dont make me laugh he was attrocious, the most wooden performance i have ever seen.......sorry to be so harsh but if you have ever seen the original "Get Carter" film i am sure you will see my point......you will be sayin his role in "tango and cash" was a good one next.

Regards

Andy

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
AmateurActor

You talkin' to me?

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 12:05:08 PM »

As an actor,I would probably have agreed with you 100% on Sly's acting ability until 1996 when he made Copland. That is the movie that finally confirmed that Sly can actually act. We saw some of his potential in the first Rocky film but having seen his performance in Copland, I believe that the critcism levelled against him is unfair.

I can't comment on Get Carter, having seen neither the original or the remake. Remakes as a rule are never as good as the originals and this version, from popular opinion, seems to suffer the same fate. I would have to see both films before I could comment on Get Carter further

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 12:14:36 PM »

Fair do's amatuer actor....it is good we can talk adulty .....i am just an biased english micheal caine fan...who lets his interests get in the way off better judgement......no harm ment....just a good discussion.

As i have prob already stated if we agreed on everything life would be sooo dull.

I would recommend you watch the original "get carter" movie however ...classic brit gangster flick.......and also in a similiar vein check out "the long good friday"

Ah they dont make em like they used to

Regards
andy

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:10:42 AM »

Hi Andy,

The long good Friday is another excellent film and so very nearly lost to television.

As for Get Carter, I said on this board at the time of the Stallone release that one has been remembered for over 30 years and the remake we will be lucky to remember after 30 days !!

I don't really see an Eastwood connection here.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 06:35:55 AM »

Clint could play Rock's trainer in Rocky 6.
In fact Clint could become the new Mr Miyagi of Boxing films ;).

WKC.

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »

Hey WKC

What a great idea "wax on wax off" lol

I would still like to see Philo Beddo come out off retirement though "every which way but sly" what do you reckon.

Nah i cant see it happening either.

I reckon clint in his youth would have been the Ultimate "Dark Knight" i.e. batman.........a menacing troubled dark hero.......

Cheers all

Andy

Buscemi

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 12:09:40 AM »

Cmon now pls ....... the remake of Get Carter with Sly in ......pls dont make me laugh he was attrocious, the most wooden performance i have ever seen.......sorry to be so harsh but if you have ever seen the original "Get Carter" film i am sure you will see my point......you will be sayin his role in "tango and cash" was a good one next.

Regards

Andy

You bash Sly for Get Carter and go on in your next post saying how your opinion is not unbiased.

I haven't seen the original, nor do I care to. I'm judging this movie on it's own merits. I never said it was a classic or something. But Sly was good enough.

You don't have to agree or accept my opinion. I really don't care.

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »

The Get Carter remake had some merit, including a role for Mickey Rourke.

WKC.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 12:23:58 AM »

I think this is getting a wee bit off topic. So to get in back on track.... I personally do not see any acting resemblences or directing resemblences between Sylvester Stallone and Clint Eastwood nor do I feel they should work together... ever.

Stallone has more downs then ups in his acting career and I really just don't see Clint ever directing him or starring oppisite him. The only film I could ever have seen them do would be The Rookie but I've always wanted Arnold in that one... now that would have been something (Red Heat all over again!!).

Stallone has given good performances: Rocky, First Blood, Copland, but recently he's just been going through the motions. He tried doing something fresh and new with Spy Kids 3-D but ultimately that failed.

The time for the chances of Eastwood and Stallone possible pair ups is gone.

We had a Stallone topic going for awhile in the OT forum but it appears to have vanished. Perhaps another one is in order to dicuss Stallone's career (or lack there of).
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 12:38:39 AM »

Actually,

in terms of a male/male megastar pairing isn't the only such example in Clint's career that poor film he made with Burt Reynolds?

WKC.  

AmateurActor

You talkin' to me?

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 12:40:33 AM »

I'd probably put The Rookie and A Perfect World in there too, as Charlie Sheen and Kevin Costner were both at the height of their respective careers at the time they worked with Clint.

AA

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 12:46:45 AM »

I'd probably put The Rookie and A Perfect World in there too, as Charlie Sheen and Kevin Costner were both at the height of their respective careers at the time they worked with Clint.

AA

Yeah, but to me Sheen never was much of anything as an actor, although that is just my opinion.  Costner on the other hand was BIG, but the thing about that film was that they never actually acted together, but were always in different scenes, if you follow my meaning....

WKC.

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »

Re: Buscemi ........is this the real Steve Buscemi....well i like your acting in the Soprano's..lol

Hey if you go back to the message i posted about being a biased micahael caine fan....well that one was directed at Amatuer Actor.......who started this whole thing off.....not you alas and i do value your opinion just as i am willing to listen to everyone's

Regards

Andy

ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 03:25:23 PM »

cant connect clint and stallone together, but a few years earlier charles bronson and clint would have been a sure shot.

rowdyyates
BGanzo

James Polk

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 07:04:42 PM »

What about Oscar? ???

One of my favorite Sly films...

Seemed to me after making Rocky, Sly forgot how to act...maybe because he wasn't acting in Rocky, but just being himself?

???

And, no, I don't see Sly and Clint working together...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 07:06:00 PM by BGanzo » Logged

Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T