News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adios Amigo?  (Read 7367 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« on: December 29, 2002, 03:31:19 PM »

At the very beginning of A Fistful of Dollars that guy goes riding past Clint with the sign on his back that reads "Adios Amigo."  Now why is he wearing that sign?  It used to always puzzle me, and then the last few times I watched it, I thought because Clint has just ridden beneath the noose hanging from the tree that he was to be hanged.  But there's nobody else around for a hangin', so after watching it this weekend, I'm still puzzled.  Was it just a quirky thing they threw in for the heck of it?  That's basically what I thought when I was watching it as a kid.  Maybe now I'm being too analyitical.  :-\

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 05:32:08 PM »

I figure its becuase he did something wrong in that town and they were kicking him out. There wasnt any food or anything on the donkey (or whatever it is) so I figure he was gonna be carried out into the desert to have a slow death.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 05:57:09 PM »

Isn't that guy already dead?

He doesn't move any as the horse carries him.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2002, 05:58:08 PM by Christopher » Logged
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 06:54:15 PM »

Yes, Christopher, he's dead.  The note on his back a final mockery - and an unintentional warning to the MWNN!

Black humour moment fron Leone replacing the shot in Yojimbo where a dog goes by holding a human hand in its mouth.

An intimation of violence to come - and sets the dark, quirky tone for the film as a whole.

Daisy Girl!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 08:43:38 PM »

Thanks Daisy!  I never realized he was dead.  It makes more sense now.  I always figured he was about to be killed, or was being run out of town, but it never quite made sense that way.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 09:43:19 PM »

It took me a few viewings to get this myself but finally I saw the huge sltick or branch or whatever  strapped to his back holding him up when Joe turns to tip his hat.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2003, 08:47:44 PM »

i am sure this was a message  to the stranger to get the hell out of the town,or face the  same consequencies

rowdyyates
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T