News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »

Poll

Who is the greatest rock band?

AC/DC
0 (0%)
Led Zeppelin
3 (23.1%)
Guns N' Roses
2 (15.4%)
The Rolling Stones
5 (38.5%)
KISS
0 (0%)
Eagles
0 (0%)
Pink Floyd
2 (15.4%)
Queen
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock Band  (Read 15456 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2004, 11:23:52 AM »

Actually, one version of "Come Together" that I've heard that doesn't sound right is Michael Jackson's. It might be on his HIStory album, I'm not sure. But of course, usually when I hear other bands or singers doing a Jackson original, it doesn't sound right either.

If I was going to pick an all time favorite rock band, I'd probably have to go with Creedence Clearwater Revival. Speaking of bands covering other songs, CCR's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" is my favorite version of the song. A lot of that has to do with the fact the song is about 12 minutes long. They were really rocking.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2004, 08:51:58 PM »

To me, The Beatles are the greatest rock band.  They were the most creative, innovative band and continue to be the most influential & successful band of all time.  They're my favorite.  That's not to say I'm not a big fan of Led Zeppelin.  Zep is a great band, too.  Of all the music I've heard and continue to hear over the years, it's The Beatle's music I return to more than any other rock group's.

“Eyuh.”
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »

you can have your beatles and your zeeplins and all that, none of them are a patch on the classics the immotral and hallowed , bach, bethhoven, mozart , strauss and the master: MUDDY WATERS

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Fr@mus

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »

you can have your beatles and your zeeplins and all that, none of them are a patch on the classics the immotral and hallowed , bach, bethhoven, mozart , strauss and the master: MUDDY WATERS

Sorry, but as a musician I think beatles are, and will be inmortal classic.

Just some facts:

The Beatles are the best-selling musical group of all time, estimated by EMI to be over one billion discs and tapes sold worldwide.

The most multi-platinum selling albums for any artist or musical group (13 in the U.S. alone).

The Beatles have had more Number One singles than any other artist or musical group (22 in the U.S., 23 in Australia, 23 in The Netherlands, 22 in Canada, 21 in Norway, 18 in Sweden). Ironically, the Beatles could easily have had even more Number Ones, because they were often competing with their own singles. For example, the Beatles' "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" were released as a "double A"-sided single, which caused sales and airplay to be divided between the two songs instead of being counted collectively. Even so, they reached Number Two with the singles.

The Beatles have had more Number One albums than any other act (19 in the U.S. and 15 in the U.K.).

The Beatles spent the highest number of weeks at Number One in the albums chart (132 in the U.S. and 174 in the U.K.).

The most successful first week of sales for a double album (The Beatles Anthology Volume 1), which sold 855,473 copies in the U.S. from November 21 to November 28, 1995).

In terms of charting positions, Lennon and McCartney are the most successful songwriters in history, with 32 number one singles in the U.S. for McCartney, and 26 for Lennon (23 of which were written together). Lennon was responsible for 29 Number One singles in the U.K., and McCartney was responsible for 28 (25 of which were written together).

During the week of April 4, 1964, The Beatles held the top five positions on the Billboard singles chart. No one had ever done anything like this before, and it is doubtful that the conditions will ever exist for anyone to do it again. The songs were "Can't Buy Me Love", "Twist and Shout", "She Loves You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", and "Please Please Me".
The next week, April 11, 1964, the Beatles held 14 positions on the Billboard Hot 100. Before the Beatles, the highest number of concurrent singles by one artist on the Hot 100 was nine (by Elvis Presley, December 19, 1956).

The Beatles are the only artist to have back-to-back-to-back number one singles on Billboard's Hot 100. Boyz II Men and Elvis Presley have succeeded themselves on the chart, but the Beatles are the only artist to three-peat.

The Beatles' "Yesterday" is the most covered song in history, appearing in the Guinness Book of Records with over 3000 recorded versions.

The Beatles had the fastest selling single of all time with "I Want To Hold Your Hand". The song sold 250,000 units within three days in the U.S., one million in 2 weeks. (Additionally, it sold 10,000 copies per hour in New York City alone for the first 20 days.)

The Beatles have the fastest selling CD of all time with 1. It sold over 13 million copies in four weeks.

The largest number of advance orders for a single, at 2.1 million copies in the U.S. for "Can't Buy Me Love" (it sold 940,225 copies on its first day of release in the U.S. alone).

Sgt. Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band is the best selling album of all time in the U.K. (over 4.5 million copies sold).

With their performance at Shea Stadium in 1965, The Beatles set new world records for concert attendance (55,600+) and revenue.

The Beatles broke television ratings records in the U.S. with their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

On June 12, 1965, the Beatles were awarded the order of Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) by the Queen.

On June 30, 1966, the Beatles became the first musical group to perform at the Nippon Budokan Hall in Tokyo.
They performed five times in three days gathering audiences of about 10,000 per performance.

The Beatles appear five times in the top 100 best-selling singles in the UK. No other group appears more than twice.

*From Wikipedia encyclopedia.

Matt, your turn ;)

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2004, 06:04:07 PM »

Matt, your turn ;)

You did great without any help from me, Fr@mus!  :)

I think that if anyone wants more proof that the Beatles are "immortal classics", they just have to listen to any of their studio albums. I think the music speaks for itself and the songs stand the test of time.

It's nice to see the Beatles receiving the respect they deserve in this thread.  :)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2004, 06:57:42 PM »

none of them are a patch on the classics the immotral and hallowed , bach, bethhoven, mozart
I really like those fellows too, it's just too bad they're not rock bands. ;)

Funny you would mention Led Zeppelin too. It seems like I read once that they are the second best selling band behind The Beatles. Maybe some of you music experts will know if I remember that right.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2004, 10:17:56 PM »

I found a source that backs up what Christopher asked about above. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, when looking at U.S. album sales, The Beatles are the best selling artists of all time, and Led Zeppelin is second (although according to these figures... there's quite a wide margin between them).

TOP ARTISTS (total certified album sales) As of 12/20/2001

Certified Units (in Millions)

BEATLES, THE   164.5

LED ZEPPELIN    105.0

ROLLING STONES, THE  53.5  
http://www.neosoul.com/riaa/artists/

I haven't been able to find worldwide sales figures to see if Led Zeppelin would still hold the second spot on the list. As it says on this site:
Determining U.S. sales is difficult enough. Determining foreign sales is almost impossible, especially in Eastern Europe and the Pacific Rim, not to mention the vast amount of bootlegging in many countries. At least we now have Soundscan as a double check on record label's claims concerning U.S. sales. If I ever find a reliable source for worldwide sales, I'll make a web page for that. ... I was planning to compile the random reports I see on worldwide sales, but there's just no reliable consistent source.

I have a real hard time getting my mind around how low the Rolling Stones placed on the list above. If these numbers are correct, you could add all the U.S. album sales of Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones and still not meet the U.S. album sales of the Beatles! (I edited out several artists that placed between Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. Click the link above to see the full list.)

Some more info from this site... The Beatles have more gold and platinum albums than any other band. The Stones follow right behind them:

http://www.neosoul.com/riaa/faq.html

Something else from the same link:
The Beatles have the most consecutive #1 albums with 8 scored between 1965 and 1968.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 01:01:31 AM by Matt » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2004, 05:15:14 AM »

I would say those numbers for the Beatles are severely under-reported.  (As a side, from the site you linked to, Matt, where's the sales for Dark Side of the Moon?  It has easily sold over 20 million copies.)  Also The Beatles' 1 album, which has at least sold 18 million copies, is also not listed as one of the top selling albums.  (Yes, I know those numbers are almost three years old, but 1 was released over a year earlier.) And Sgt. Pepper has sold a mere 11 million copies ....  ???  whereas the Dixie Chicks' Wide Open Spaces has sold 12.2 million?  (Somehow I don't see that being true, The Bealtes most well known album outsold by the Dixie Chicks.)  I think it's pretty safe to say, accounting of record sales is far more accurate for recent releases.  And reporting seems to vary by record company.  

But numbers are ultimately meaningless, when it comes to the quality of the music.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2004, 05:27:39 AM »

I would say those numbers for the Beatles are severely under-reported.  (As a side, from the site you linked to, Matt, where's the sales for Dark Side of the Moon?  It has easily sold over 20 million copies.)  Also The Beatles' 1 album, which has at least sold 18 million copies, is also not listed as one of the top selling albums.  (Yes, I know those numbers are almost three years old, but 1 was released over a year earlier.) And Sgt. Pepper has sold a mere 11 million copies ....  ???  whereas the Dixie Chicks' Wide Open Spaces has sold 12.2 million?  (Somehow I don't see that being true, The Bealtes most well known album outsold by the Dixie Chicks.)  I think it's pretty safe to say, accounting of record sales is far more accurate for recent releases.  And reporting seems to vary by record company.  

But numbers are ultimately meaningless, when it comes to the quality of the music.  
hell i'm no lover of the beatles but even i question 11 million, could it be 110 million or something.
anyway doug there's been a lot of controversy over so called chart postion and published sales figures for years so i wouldn't put much faith in them(remeber how pistols god save the queen was beaten to number 1 spot by rod stewart on jubilee week.
the pistols had  a couple of thousands sales units just drop of the green earth

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2004, 06:01:44 AM »

I would say those numbers for the Beatles are severely under-reported.  (As a side, from the site you linked to, Matt, where's the sales for Dark Side of the Moon?  It has easily sold over 20 million copies.)

There's another link from that site for best selling albums:  http://www.neosoul.com/riaa/  I don't keep up with how many copies of albums are sold, or who the greatest selling bands of all time are. I did, however, recognize that some of these numbers looked really questionable... particularly the numbers of albums sold by the Rolling Stones in comparison to the other bands on the list. If anyone can find a better source, I'd like to see it too. From what I could see using an internet search, the RIAA seems to be the authoritative source for compiling these numbers, even though a lot of these numbers seem off.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2004, 04:01:43 AM »

From what I could see using an internet search, the RIAA seems to be the authoritative source for compiling these numbers, even though a lot of these numbers seem off.

That's all I was saying, too, though I do think that site's list of top selling albums was not inclusive, but otherwise those are the official numbers.  I was just saying the system for tracking those figures is not very good at all.  I remember The White Album was listed as having sold 5 million copies for the longest time, and then one day the RIAA did whatever they do and suddenly the sales are 19 million -- same for Led Zeppelin IV.  (Actually for all the Beatle records and Led Zeppeling records.)  It is clearly evident that the Rolling Stones' sales are also extremely under-reported.  Yet you can be sure every stupid copy of Thriller shipped has been counted.  I don't obsess over these types of numbers either, but since this post peeked my curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing the real numbers.  And if there were a real way of knowing, I'd bet a week's pay that the Beatles sales in the U.S. are at least three times more than that official total.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2004, 09:21:23 AM »

While on my search for a better source for numbers of rock albums sold, I came across this article:

The 10 best rock bands ever

The article ends with this explanation for the writer's choices:

While I speak with the thunderous voice of truth, this list of “the 10 best rock bands ever” isn’t a purely arbitrary designation yanked from my nether regions. First, the winners had to be an actual band, which eliminated most of the first wave rock ‘n’ roll greats of the '50s like Elvis and Chuck Berry, who were essentially solo artists with backup bands, other towering figures like Bob Dylan, and vocal groups. The bands had to be within the greater circle of “rock” music and generate most or all of their own material. I took into account musical and cultural influence, popularity over time (staying power), and the “It’s a Wonderful Life” factor: What damage would be done if the band were to be removed from rock history? — the greater the damage, the greater the band. Removal of any of the above 10 would render rock history unrecognizable.

Any guess on who the #1 rock band of all time was?  ;)

Okay, enough with the suspense... here goes:

1. The Beatles
The Beatles are unquestionably the best and most important band in rock history, as well as the most compelling story. Almost miraculously, they embodied the apex of the form artistically, commercially, culturally and spiritually at just the right time, the tumultuous '60s, when music had the power to literally change the world (or at least to give the impression that it could, which may be the same thing). The Beatles are the archetype: there is no term in the language analogous to “Beatlemania.”

Getting back on the topic of album sales... the article says of Led Zeppelin:

Over a 10-year, nine-album career from 1969-79, Led Zeppelin was the most popular rock group in the world, ultimately selling more than 50 million records in the U.S. alone (more than 200 million worldwide),

Which, of course, doesn't jibe with the RIAA numbers which recorded more than double these numbers.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:32 AM »

I think the guy is using old, out-dated RIAA numbers.  I vaguely seem to recall that being the "official" sales numbers for Zeppelin before the RIAA did an updated accounting (when Led Zeppelin IV went from 4 or 5 million copies sold, or whatever the old total was, to 22 million, the official new total .... ::)).  

Since this thread concerns "rock bands" I have to say I question some of the "rock bands" that this guy includes on his list.  I love Bob Marley, but that seems a stretch on the definition of "rock band."   And then Sly and the Family Stone?  There's an odd choice.  And Led Zeppelin only ranking at #6?   ???  I love U2 and they deserve to be on the list, but not at #3.  

At least he's right on about The Beatles. :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2004, 05:18:44 AM »

Since this thread concerns "rock bands" I have to say I question some of the "rock bands" that this guy includes on his list.  I love Bob Marley, but that seems a stretch on the definition of "rock band."   And then Sly and the Family Stone?  There's an odd choice.  And Led Zeppelin only ranking at #6?   ???  I love U2 and they deserve to be on the list, but not at #3.  

At least he's right on about The Beatles. :)

I agree with you on questioning why Sly and the Family Stone and Bob Marley appeared on the list. The writer of this article, Eric Olsen, later posted it on a site where readers could post feedback. He responded to the feedback (patiently and politely at first, and then getting a bit more annoyed as it went on). The first time someone questioned Sly and the Family Stone's and Bob Marley's placement on a "rock" list, the author replied:

RE those complaining about the "rock" category: there will never be agreement on what should or should not fit. I interpreted "rock" fairly broadly. Perhaps the songs should have been called the "Rock Era." I have no problem thinking of Sly and Bob as rock bands.

And here again:

The Family Stone was as much a rock band as anything else, as their Woodstock performance amply demonstrates; and reggae is directly derived from New Orleans-style rock 'n' roll.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/03/29/085307.php
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »

I just read the posts in this thread and I was throughly entertained. The Beatles by far and by all means is the greatest rock band of all time. To post this questionare without mentioning the Beatles is absolutely ludicrous.
Second of all comparing different genres of rock music really should not be a factor. Rock music is just what it is which is all different kinds of greatness.
I want to make some points about metal in these old bands.
1. The Beatles- Paperback Writer- It is one of the first songs to use distorted feedbacked  guitars in the recorded song. If that song is not metal , I do not know what is. That guitar sound in that song is highly influential to the revolution of the guitar from a backup rhythm sound to "Hey, Listen to what I can do". Yes , the Beatles had their part in defining a harder style of rock.
2. Blue Cheer- Summertime Blues- Another band in the late 60"s to take a classic song at that time and rock the hell out of it. If that is not metal, I do not know what is.
3. Led Zeppelin- Communication Breakdown on their first album. It is extremely heavy & rocking. If that is not heavy metal I do not know what is.
4. Deep Purple- Highway Star, Uriah Heep- Gypsy, Trapeze- Black Cloud and so many more helped define metal.
5. Black Sabbath in my opinion is one of the most influential bands of all time. The purest and most creative form of Heavy metal. Man, in 1970 they came out with these heavy guitar riffed songs with lyrics about Satan looking at you and pointing at you and laughing.Who else was doing that? It was total doom & gloom with songs that made your head move back and forth. And if you ask Ozzy who his main influence was, he says The Beatles.  In other words,it all ties together man.
Let us not forget before The Beatles there was Robert Johnson & Buddy Holly & the Crickets who in my opinion should be on that questionare.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2006, 07:20:19 AM »

Now that this thread has been revived ... is anyone for editing the poll to add The Beatles as an option? I don't think we could do that back when the poll was started. You can change your vote now, too.  ;)
nightwolf05

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »

I agree The Beatles certainly belong in this poll.
I voted for the Rolling stones.
They have been around keeping their fans rocking and they still are.
So for me I would consider the Rolling stones one of the best rock bands of all time.
I enjoyed the Beatles and they also are one of the best rock banks of all times.
I don't know if it would be fair to limit these bands to only one choice lol.
Adding the Beatles is fair and should be done.
nightwolf05
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »

We can add The Beatles and reset the vote so every band has zero votes. But I think we should leave it up to GBU to make that decision since he did start the poll.  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »

Yeah, I agree. If someone wants to start another poll, they can do that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T