News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gian Maria Volonte  (Read 5108 times)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 24, 2003, 02:32:13 PM »

I was just checking out a bio on Gian Maria Volonte’, since I never really knew much about the guy, and found this pic:

Wow, doesn’t look much like “Indio” or “Ramon,” but some age faster than others I guess (he was younger than Clint). Apparently he passed away in 1994 while filming a movie.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 01:00:09 AM »

Since I enjoyed Gian's performances in the Leone films so much, I tracked down another movie of his from eBay, Lucky Luciano.  No, he's not like Indio at all.  He was very good, though.  While watching his performace, what I found took the most adjusting was getting used to his real voice.  Whoever dubs him on those Spaghettis has a much deeper voice that I think suits him better.   (I'm sure he wouldn't agree with that, guess it's what you get used to. )

HERE is a link to Volonte's official site.  It's in Italian, but there's some pictures of him through the years that are cool to look at.   HERE is another site with some more great pictures, interviews and filmography.  It's also in Italian.  (Really wishin' about now that I had paid more attention to those two years of Italian classes in HS.  :( )
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 01:44:43 AM by Matt » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 09:02:27 AM »

Yeah, I wish one of the audio options on the DVDs would be to hear it in the native Italian, just to hear what the actors' voices really sounded like (with the exception of Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach, of course). It must have been something being there on the sets of those movies, watching the American actors recite their lines in English and all the others in Italian.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 09:58:30 AM »

Agent, from what I understand, not all the non-Americans spoke Italian during the filming. There were several Germans and a lot of Spaniards, and they spoke their respective native languages. As you know, the films as released were post-dubbed into every language they were released in, so that there's no one "authentic" soundtrack ... yeah, it must have been interesting on the set, all right!

This is beginning to get positively Eastwood-related ...  :o Maybe it should be moved to the Westerns forum.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 04:56:39 PM »

Wow....several tongues spoken on the same set. I wonder how in the world they knew when to speak their lines? Must've been real interesting to have seen that. Maybe they should have named it A Fistful of Dialogs.... ;)

MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 12:06:12 AM »

Yeah, Gian Maria Volonte does a great bad guy.  I'm curious as to why he wasn't in GBU.  At any rate, his Indio was superb, and I keep trying to hit the rewind button at the part where he has the shootout with the guy who put him in jail.  He's wearing his buscadero over his shoulder, but the angle of the gun suggests that the holster has a rear-tilting cant to it?  Very interested to know if that's so.  There's another scene where they're shooting the cabinet from around the safe, when Clint rides up alone.  I can't tell.  A slight rear cant on that buscadero makes it look awesome on him when he wears it that way!  
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 09:46:46 AM »

Unfortunately the Volonte pic originally posted above has been lost, and I was unsuccessful in finding the same one on the web - at least for now. In any case, while searching for a replacement I found this cool pic of Clint while "Googling" for Volonte - it's an Italian site:

Go ahead punk....click me!

MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 09:39:49 PM »

OH NO!!!!  You mean that's not Indio's real voice?!?!!!   :-\  I'm devastated!!!  That overdubbed voice is SO Indio!!  That's the exact reason why I love FAFDM as my favorite spaghetti western!  It's because of Indio and his whole bad guy mannerisms, and his voice!!!  S***!!!  

Well, you learn something new every day!  That voice they used was so perfect for the character....

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »

Yeah, I wish one of the audio options on the DVDs would be to hear it in the native Italian, just to hear what the actors' voices really sounded like (with the exception of Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach, of course). It must have been something being there on the sets of those movies, watching the American actors recite their lines in English and all the others in Italian.
As I've since learned, even having an "Italian" audio option wouldn't enable you to hear how the Italian actors sounded, since none of them seems to have dubbed himself on the Italian language soundtrack. See my post in the "Dubbing in the Leone Films" thread ...

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?action=display;board=5;threadid=2182;start=0#msg28879

And, for For a Few Dollars More, see ...
http://www.antoniogenna.net/doppiaggio/film/perqualchedollaroinpiu.htm

... which reports that Volonté was dubbed (as in Fistful) by Nando Gazzolo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T