News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Movie: "Million Dollar Baby," boxing themed film by and with Eastwood  (Read 71819 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2004, 07:39:28 PM »

The IMDb has the (limited) release date as December 17th now and it's also showing that Paul Haggis is a director on the film.  ???
GBHermosa

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2004, 05:57:23 PM »

IMDB is usually only partly correct.  Actually, Paul Haggis was supposed to direct this film before Clint became involved.  But, I think Paul was given a producer role to step aside.  This gave Clint the ability to Star, Direct, and Produce.  It also made sure that the movie would be made.  It still amazes me that this film(cast, crew, producers, etc.) began filming less than a year ago.  For that matter, Clint did not even sign on until late winter 2004/ early spring 2004.  It is an amazing feat.

Also, we should start seeing trailers and photos soon.  I heard that Clint just authorized some shots for publicity.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2004, 06:12:07 PM »

Thanks for the updates, GBHermosa!
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2004, 01:16:13 AM »

wow - great stuff

england -  its flag the St George flag
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Clint on the big screen again!
 ;D

“Eyuh.”
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2004, 05:21:18 PM »

January 21, 2005 is the North American wide release date. And Clint Eastwood's character name will be Frankie Dunn.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2004, 01:05:18 AM »

I was sent this by email, it's a newer and better plot description for Million Dollar Baby:

In the wake of a painful estrangement from his daughter, boxing trainer Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood) has been unwilling to let himself get close to anyone for a very long time – then Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) walks into his gym. In a life of constant struggle, Maggie's gotten herself this far on raw talent, unshakable focus and a tremendous force of will. But more than anything, she wants someone to believe in her. The last thing Frankie needs is that kind of responsibility – let alone that kind of risk – but won over by Maggie's sheer determination, he begrudgingly agrees to take her on. In turns exasperating and inspiring each other, the two come to discover that they share a common spirit that transcends the pain and loss of their pasts, and they find in each other a sense of family they lost long ago. Yet, they both face a battle that will demand more heart and courage than any they've ever known.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:05:27 AM by Brendan » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2004, 09:35:12 PM »

Found a high-res shot of the already released still:

Yum... is all I can say for Swank.  ;) ;D
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2004, 12:28:37 AM »

Double Yum.... ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2004, 02:03:17 AM »

and still clint is grumpy - when he gonna smile

still looks good when he's grumpy though
- hope she gives him a cuff round the head and tells him to cheer up a bit
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 02:10:28 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
cerebus

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2004, 05:50:16 AM »

I just read the book 'Rope Burns' and read the story Million Dollar Baby.
Very powerful story. I'll still have to read the short story Rope Burns itself.

I have read here someplace in another thread that the screenplay was written specifically with the two short stories, Rope Burns and Million Dollar Baby in mind.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2004, 06:03:09 AM »

Thanks Brendan!  ;D

“Eyuh.”
ben shockley

View Profile Email
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2004, 06:40:11 AM »

According to David Poland:

Warner Bros' Academy screening schedule says that the film will start screening on November 22. Late.

http://www.moviecitynews.com/columnists/poland/2004_oscar/041104.html

Nag, Nag, Nag...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2004, 10:06:02 PM »

I'm pretty excited about MDB. Clint starring in yet another movie is always welcome news for me! I do have a few questions, though. GBH, do you have any idea when the trailer will debut for this film? I'm looking forward to it, and as the film is to premiere, at least in limited release, on December 17th, time is running out for promotion. From the plot descriptions and the poster, I can't really determine who is the main star of this film. Does it look like Hilary Swank is the main star, and it's mainly her story, or does Clint feature as prominently? Is Clint's role going to be more in the line of A Perfect World. a smaller costarring, yet still important role, or is it more akin to another starring feature for Clint? How prominent is Clint's character in the film? :) Have you actually seen this film, GBH? What were your impressions?  

As far as the Oscar hopes for this film, I wouldn't be surprised to see Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor Morgan Freeman, Best Actress Hilary Swank, and hopefully Best Actor Clint Eastwood! I think Clint's chances to earn a Best Actor Oscar are running out, and this may be one of the last, if not the last, chance that he has. I think that if the film is as great as we all hope, the Academy may award Clint the Best Picture and/or Best Director Oscar, and perhaps a Best Actor. In my view, after last year, the Academy does owe Clint, and hopefully he'll get his due, providing the film is worthy.

The only thing for me is that I'm a little bit worried that this film may be rushed for release too soon and that the quality of the film may suffer. From what GBH is saying, perhaps this isn't too much of a concern, but I think it's incredibly difficult to churn out a movie in such a short amount of time, and I hope that in doing so the quality of the film won't in any way be sacrificed because I think we've seen what's happened when a production is rushed. and it hasn't produced a good result.
lightfoot

I'm not a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »

He looks like he did in Heartbreak Ridge, A little greyer but he looks good. Hillary looks nice too ;D

Does anyone know when this film will be released?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »

Does anyone know when this film will be released?

December 17, 2004 (Los Angeles, Toronto, New York and Chicago)
January 21, 2005 wide release in North America
GBHermosa

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2004, 06:32:04 PM »

Cerebrus- the second story in the movie is actually Frozen Water.  Its only about 15 pages long.

As far as screenings, I have not heard anything.  I hope that it starts soon.  But, last week, I had heard that the film was not even done yet.  They did not have a final version of the film, completely edited with full sound, orchestra, etc.  But, that can change pretty quickly.  I will update as soon as I hear anything else.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2004, 07:46:36 PM »

KC asked me to post this for her (she's unable to get on the board now):

Apparently, there is some confusion about the opening date, because a full-page ad in The New York Times today (November 7) has "December 17," while in an article about upcoming holiday films in the same paper, it's listed under "December 15."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2004, 08:26:59 PM »

I'm inclined to believe it's December 17th. But I'm sure once the official site actually opens, we'll know for sure.  ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2004, 06:58:30 AM »

The sooner the better!  ;D

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T