Other/Miscellaneous > Discussion Board Troubleshooting

How do i add another members quote to my thread please

(1/3) > >>

slacker:
I have been posting on this site for some time and it is often useful to quote someone else's post, so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise

:-\

Matt:

--- Quote from: slacker on January 16, 2005, 03:04:10 PM ---
Please advise

--- End quote ---

I just quoted a part of your post, and I'll lead you through how I did it.

1) Go to the person's post that you want to quote. At the top right of their post, you will see this: .  Click on it.

2) That will open up a reply box with the member's entire post, and you'll see their post surrounded by tags that identify the user and the post. The quote tags will look like this [ quote]  [ /quote]  (without the spaces after the opening brackets, which I added so the tags would show up here).  The first tag will include other information, such as the user's name and the date of the post that you're quoting.

3) You can now go into the quoted text, and remove what you're not responding to, if you want. I did this here to your quote...  I've only decided to quote "Please advise".

4)  Post as usual, or preview first to make sure it looks right.

It's easy, but it gets a little more complicated if you want to break up a person's post to write things inbetween their parts... like this:

--- Quote from: slacker on January 16, 2005, 03:04:10 PM ---I have been posting on this site for some time
--- End quote ---

Yup, and it's been great having you here.

--- Quote --- and it is often useful to quote someone else's post
--- End quote ---

Right.

--- Quote ---so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise
--- End quote ---

No problem!

--- Quote --- :-\

--- End quote ---

Okay, so quoting the little bits of this small post of yours to intersperse dialogue here was a bit ridiculous. But there may be a longer post that you may want to reply to bit by bit in your response. To do this, you'll need to manually put an end quote tag ([ /quote] (without the space)) where you want to stop a member's quote to write your own text.  When you want to continue their quote, you'll need to surround that text with quote tags. You can always use the quote button   too. This will give you quotes that look like all but the first one in my reply here. The first quote gives the user's name that you're quoting, the thread ID, and a link to bring you to that person's quote.  The rest of the quotes in the thread don't need all that information, so long as you're quoting the same member.

Now, if you want to quote more than one member's post in your post... it gets even trickier. But I won't go into that here.

slacker:

--- Quote from: Matt on January 16, 2005, 04:23:32 PM ---I just quoted a part of your post, and I'll lead you through how I did it.

--- End quote ---

By Jove i think i've got it many thanks and may i say i really enjoy being part of this superior website

Cheers Matt

Matt:
Good job!

KC:
I've noticed we now have a new option for this. When you hit "Reply" in a thread, the last several messages in the thread appear underneath the "message" box ... all of the thread, if it's short enough. If you want to quote anything in any of those messages, you can now just scroll down and hit the "Insert Quote" link in whatever post you like ...

--- Quote from: slacker on January 16, 2005, 03:04:10 PM ---I have been posting on this site for some time and it is often useful to quote someone else's post, so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise

:-\

--- End quote ---

... and insert it wherever you want it. (Of course, you can then edit out the parts you don't want to quote.)

--- Quote from: Matt on January 16, 2005, 04:23:32 PM ---Now, if you want to quote more than one member's post in your post... it gets even trickier. But I won't go into that here.

--- End quote ---

Much less tricky now, if the posts can be quoted using this option! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version