News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe, Manco and Blondy  (Read 59840 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »

The Good The Bad and The Ugly:

Basically GBU is pretty straight forward it takes place during the Civil War; that is, between 1861 and 1865. Actually, I would say between 1861and 1862 (Arch Stanton died February 3, 1862 and there is only a skeleton left of him). Sibley's New Mexico Campaign is the anchor.

If Arch Stanton died in 1862, then the action would have to be after that, not in 1861, right?  Did you mean 1862-63?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »

Actually we dealt with this exclusively on the Fistful of Leone Board with a timeline for the GBU plot that starts with the story events of  Baker, Stevens, & Jackson and their aquision of the Confederate payroll which would all take place before Arch Stanton, thats the reason for 1861.

Check out the full timeline here:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4191.0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:37:46 AM by cigar joe » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2009, 06:15:17 PM »

While watching The Good, The Bad & The Ugly yesterday, I started to think, when we've played Eastwood character survivor, we always have The Man With No Name as one character. Shouldn't it be three separate characters?

We have Joe in Fistful of Dollars, Manco in For A Few Dollars More & Blondie in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Obviously all three names are spoken by other characters, Clint character(s) never reveal what his name is in the three films, but it got me thinking. Is it three different characters or is it the same character in all three films?

I knew there was an old topic here about this, so I thought I'd revive it. This discussion even started on the old board, that's how long it's been around.

Yesterday, after seeing the three films again this week, I would have said, "Yes, it's three different characters!," but since reading through this thread there are some interesting points raised as the first two films actually take place in time after the third film, so The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a prequel to the other films, and we see Blondie acquire the clothes & poncho during the third film that he wears in the first two films. Whether that was just an in joke by Leone/Eastwood as some have said or it's the link to the first two films, that's the mystery.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's three different characters or one and the same. ???

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

Well, I think it's sort of like the discussions about the Holy Trinity. It's one character, but in a mystical sort of way, it's also three. ;)

Anyway I think it would give him/them an unfair advantage to list him/them as three characters in the survivor games. They're psychologically the same character in a way that can't be said about any other two or three Eastwood characters.
Aline

Email
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2009, 05:47:32 AM »

You made a good point, SK. I think in the next survivor they should be post as three separated characters. And the biggest proof they are different are the names themselves...
if they were the same, they all would be called "Joe" ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

You made a good point, SK. I think in the next survivor they should be post as three separated characters. And the biggest proof they are different are the names themselves...
if they were the same, they all would be called "Joe" ???

One name is as good as another. Not wise to use your own name. ;)
Aline

Email
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »

My favorite name is Blondy.

btw, do you know what "Manco" means in portuguese, KC?
It means "lame".

And "The man with no name" can be anything but lame, don't you agree? ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »

Manco means "lacking an arm or hand or maimed in an arm or hand" in Spanish. (The Italian script used the Italian equivalent, which is Monco. The Engllsh-dubbed version made it Manco since there isn't an easy equivalent in English and the film takes place on the the U.S.-Mexican border.) Which is appropriate for the character who never uses his right hand for anything ... except shooting.

Is it really just "lame" in Portuguese, or lame in this specific way?
Aline

Email
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »

No, it means "lame" but also those things you said it. It can be a person that has physical deficiencies.

Anyway, I was just kidding!!!! :D ;D
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »

I''ve always preferred Blondie.

GBU being my second favorite film of all time of course has nothing to do with it.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:25:06 AM by Alcatraz » Logged

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »

Of course he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the key scene occurs during the "death of a soldier" scene in GBU.
Blondie gives the soldier his duster to keep him warm.
When he dies he takes the poncho lying beside him so as not to remove the overcoat from the corpse (a genuinely humane gesture that Frayling missed - he says he "stole" the poncho"  ???)

So, when he arrives in the border town he is wearing the poncho which places the timeline as GBU, FOF< FAFDM

nuff said!

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »

Manco means "lacking an arm or hand or maimed in an arm or hand" in Spanish. (The Italian script used the Italian equivalent, which is Monco. The Engllsh-dubbed version made it Manco since there isn't an easy equivalent in English and the film takes place on the the U.S.-Mexican border.) Which is appropriate for the character who never uses his right hand for anything ... except shooting.

Is it really just "lame" in Portuguese, or lame in this specific way?

it can also mean 'lefty' as in he shoots with his left hand (although Clint himself is amidextrous0

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »

I don't think the term in Italian or Spanish is specific to either hand, though if someone were maimed in his right hand or lacking his right hand, of course he'd be "lefty." This is true of the Eastwood character, but again, with an important exception: When he shoots.

A number of years ago I exchanged e-mails with Sergio Donati, who worked (uncredited) on the script. He confirmed that the nickname "Monco" was an ironic reference to the character's habit of saving his right hand for the most important thing.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Of course he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the key scene occurs during the "death of a soldier" scene in GBU.
Blondie gives the soldier his duster to keep him warm.
When he dies he takes the poncho lying beside him so as not to remove the overcoat from the corpse (a genuinely humane gesture that Frayling missed - he says he "stole" the poncho"  ???)

So, when he arrives in the border town he is wearing the poncho which places the timeline as GBU, FOF< FAFDM

nuff said!

So what did Blondie/Joe do with all the cash between the end of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and the start of Fistful Of Dollars? ;)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »

So what did Blondie/Joe do with all the cash between the end of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and the start of Fistful Of Dollars? ;)

Gave it away to the poor!
I guess you ,missed that scene:)

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

I don't think the term in Italian or Spanish is specific to either hand, though if someone were maimed in his right hand or lacking his right hand, of course he'd be "lefty."
Do not forget that the character that tries to shoot Tuco in the tub was also called Manco because he lost his arm in the opening shootout>

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Where is he called Manco? ???
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »

"Manco" is the name of a track on the expanded soundtrack cd on GDM label  (and US too). The music was not used in the film except for the first few seconds.
 "Sentenza" is also how we get the name for Angel Eyes in the Eyetalian version

below is an exceprt from my published article on the  score:
"

The expanded cd soundtrack.............

THE BANDIT MANCO--- Only the first few bars are used. This following score was intended for the scene where Manco searches thru the building where Tuco is bathing. In the film this is unscored.

The new cd also includes variations on previously discussed themes and two new pieces:
"Sentenza" the music for the early scene where Angel Eyes slaughters a Mexican family;"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:27:19 PM by bruce marshall » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »

I believe Sentenza ("The Sentence") WAS the character's name in the Italian version. I've never understood why he's called "Angel Eyes" in the English version, except maybe it works well for dubbing.
Aline

Email
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »

I've never understood why he's called "Angel Eyes" in the English version

To make it sound ironic ."Devil Eyes" would have fitted him better  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T