News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dirty Harry/Misty  (Read 8677 times)
Shooter

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: August 06, 2003, 01:34:38 PM »

I've recently come across the Dirty Harry box set here in the Iraqi Freedom efforts. In the beginning of Dirty Harry he is driving down the street. Down one of the side streets there is a movie marquis showing Play Misty for Me. Is that irony or was it done on purpose due to the time frame of both of the movies production?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 02:01:24 PM »

We recently discussed this issue in DH mess up.  

Personally, I think it's an inside joke.  Stephen King has one of his characters in one book mention an early King book.  (I forget which book, though.)   I like the reference, myself in the movie, particularly since it's subtle.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 02:02:19 PM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 02:07:48 PM »

Welcome to the Eastwood Web Board, Shooter.

Doug has pointed you in the right direction for another thread where this was discussed.

There are other tidbits in this movie that were purposely done.  During the scenes where Harry is carrying the ransom money, and is being jerked all over town by Scorpio, his real life son's name (Kyle) is seen prominently displayed as graffiti on the walls in the tunnel and his then wife (Maggie) can be seen reading a magazine as Harry runs through the station.

Hope this is helpful and hope you will come join us for other Eastwood's discussions. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 02:08:43 PM by mgk » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 05:30:46 PM »

It was certainly meant as a joke ... call it an "inside joke" or a "wink" to observant spectators.  Play Misty for Me hadn't yet been released when Dirty Harry was shot, and that scene was shot on a set. So, they planned it that way ... when Dirty Harry was released in December, 1971, Play Misty for Me had been in the theaters for a few weeks.
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 11:55:26 PM »

Hi M,
Has that ever been confirmed as Maggie reading the magazine?
Don't get me wrong, I always thought it did look like her, but I did not know if it had been confirmed........... or not ........officially...........as such ;)?
You know what I mean ;D
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 05:25:45 AM »

Hi Stranger......no, as far as I know it has not been officially claimed.  Several of us looked at it several times and just felt like it was Maggie Eastwood.

Does it not look like Maggie to you or are you just looking for some sort of official acknowledgment of the fact?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 06:11:06 AM »

For the record, this is the lady we're talking about ...
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 01:09:49 PM »

No, I always have thought it was mags! ;)
I think it probably is, just wished I knew for sure..

Did we ever come to find out that track playing in the getaway car at the bank robbery scene, and if so, is it available anywhere i.e on any of the groups/singer's cd releases?

Thanks M
-Stranger- :-*

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 07:13:11 PM »

I'm all for thinking that it was Maggie.  It would just seem appropiate that she might be in the movie as it was one of Clint's first movies that has a cameo like that available for her.  There wasn't exactly an abundance of cameo roles in the MWNN trilogy. ;)

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 03:35:26 AM »

I would agree that the lady is Maggie.  Another nice touch, intended or not I don`t know,  but the as Harry is running down the stairs to catch the train, the name Kyle was seen spray painted on the wall.
Coincidence or just a nice homage to his son born a couple of years prior.

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 12:36:10 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that there are no coincindences. :D :D :D

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 07:23:03 PM »

"There are no coincidences. The word coincidence is blasphemy"—G.E. Lessing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T