News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »

Poll

Would you like to see another Clint western?

Yes
10 (43.5%)
No
2 (8.7%)
If he directs it
1 (4.3%)
If he stars in it
2 (8.7%)
If he stars in it and directs it
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 08, 2005, 05:25:40 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you like to see another Clint western?  (Read 23693 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 03:49:13 PM »

Are you talking about The Shootist that John Wayne was in?  If so, the stories really aren't similar at all.....at least not in my opinion.  John Wayne's character, John Bernard Books, is dying from a disease (probably cancer) and is looking for a way to die more quickly and with dignity.  I don't see that in Pale Rider.

Is there another The Shootist that I don't know about?
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »

No I meant the same movie but I thought it was about something else. I never saw it but I saw a comercial for it. I thought it was about a guy protecting some town.
DonnaMadison

Hi! I love ya Clint! Since I was 9 and now Im 52!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 07:08:08 PM »

I would rather see him playing contemporary roles.  That's just me!!  I like what's going on in the world for film material --- terrorism,  the possible loss of rights because of the right wing feeling in the country, lots of material for movies.  And we need more romances for the older generation!! Westerns...I don't think so, not right now. 
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 07:53:05 PM »

"  And we need more romances for the older generation!!"

Years after he's dead, when people mention the name Clint Eastwood, romance movies won't come to mind. He's just not that kind of actor. Well at least that's my opinion.
DonnaMadison

Hi! I love ya Clint! Since I was 9 and now Im 52!

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »

Dear Blondie, what you say is true; Eastwood will not be remembered for romance movies per se.  However, when you look carefully at his body of work,  almost each movie involves a love interest....and a very sexy one at that.  "The Beguiled" was entirely about a womanizer, and what befalls him (he was magnificent in that, wasn't he?? McBee!)..he had a beautiful black woman in love with him in the otherwise not-so-hot "Eiger Sanction" -- he was after Susan Clark in Coogan's Bluff -- Sondra Locke was his love interest in many films -- he loved Rene Russo in Line of Fire -- he had the Asian girlfriend in Magnum Force (albeit just a sexual partner,  yet his sexuality is SO IMPORTANT)....I think he will remembered for his westerns and for Harry but also there is this strong sexual component...Tightrope, another movie all about sex, and Pink Cadillac -- Bernadette Peters.....quite a few women in these films!  He played the love scenes so beautifully, I thought.  Inger Stevens in Hang Em High....various women in High Plains Drifter....no question that Clint was as good as a lover as he was with a gun!!  Bridges of Madison County, of course, was the BIG romantic film, right out there,  but in the others he played it close to the vest yet the feelings were there. He called meeting Sondra Locke "a piece of luck" in one of the ape movies.  Sweet, I think.  I'd do a romantic bit with him any time!!!! Hey who wouldn't right.  Take care, Donna Madison
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »

Let me qualify this before everyone bashes me. To me there is a difference between a "WESTERN" movie and a "movie that happens to take place in the west". Your classic western has all the "good guy/bad buy, confrontational/classic bar scenes/love of a woman" type of characteristics to it that make it called a Western movie.

And Im sorry, Clint Eastwood is TOO OLD to play in a western. Clint is of the age where he could be the "crazy old man that knows everyone around here" in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, actually he may be older. Putting Clint in a western would be the equivalent of putting Mike Tyson back into the ring now. Your looking at the past, what was, hoping to see a spark of the young Mike Tyson break out and bring boxing back to what it was. At the end of the night though, your facing the reality of a almost middle aged sedated Mike Tyson biting someones ear or breaking someone's arm.

I like the way Eastwood has gone with his career. He isnt trying to be the tough guy anymore, although its heartbreaking to admit the immortal eventually become mortal. I truly believe in MILLION DOLLAR BABY, with his "Mickey from Rocky" type character, hes acccepting his strengths and weaknesses of his advancing age and creating better, original stories dealing with current times.

Besides, is it fair to ask someone who is getting older to live out his "younger cooler" years?

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »

" I'd do a romantic bit with him any time!!!! Hey who wouldn't right? "

I'm a guy so I wouldn't.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 05:27:32 PM »

And Im sorry, Clint Eastwood is TOO OLD to play in a western. Clint is of the age where he could be the "crazy old man that knows everyone around here" in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, actually he may be older.

BDC, that hurt to read. In fact, I couldn't quote the rest.

In any case, I disagree. Robert Duvall was great in Open Range, and as I watched him, I couldn't stop thinking all through the film "I wish Clint did this part!" If Duvall could still do a role like that at his age (he's only 6 mos. younger than Clint), then Clint could do another Western.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 04:36:53 AM »

Jack Palance was older than Clint when he won an Oscar for his part in , the modern day western , City Slickers .
Don't confuse his earlier westerns with what he might make today . If it did happen you can bet it would be fitting with his current age .
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 11:53:07 AM »

I can understand what you're saying, bdc, as far as Clint playing the same type of gunslinger roles that he's played in the past (afterall, even the best gunslingers would slow down a little as they aged). But I think we'd be more likely to see him in another western than playing another cop, for instance. He's too old for Dirty Harry, but not too old for a western.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2005, 02:13:01 PM »

Seriously, who wouldn't want to see him in another Western ?
I would, but only if he stars in and directs it.

He has a gift for making Westerns. 8)
It's HIS genre.

And this even if I believe that Unforgiven was a perfect last Western.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2005, 06:17:41 PM »

As for Clint being too old:

The Duke was 69 years old on The Shootist and co-star James Stewart was 68.

Duvall was 72 on Open Range.

Lorne Greene (Ben Cartwright on Bonanza) was 72 when he did The Alamo: Thirteeen Days To Glory.

And finally, Joseph Egger was 88 years of age on A Fisful Of Dollars and 89 on For A Few Dollars More.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 10:35:21 PM »

He has a gift for making Westerns. 8)
It's HIS genre.

Gotta agree. Clint and John Wayne basically revolutionized Westerns.

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2005, 05:46:50 PM »

Well let`s see Eastwood`s next film The Flags Of Our A Father(or something like that?)before we put him back in the saddle,huh?

Personally I don`t care what films he does in the future.I just wish he keep making them..and this not mean that another western from Eastwood would be bad thing(if the story is good).

However I do think Unforgiven is a kind of ultimate western from Eastwood and therefore it could be that he`s not very keen on doing a westerns anymore  ???

Anyway,any kind of film from Eastwood makes me happy.
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2005, 06:53:11 AM »

I am sorry, but again Im going to have to disagree. I have to stand by the statement "There is a difference between a WESTERN movie, and a movie that tells a story during that time period". Western movies have themes to them, and components that are necessary to make them western movies (good guy/bad guy/heroin in distress/town helpless...yada yada yada).

Now where I agree is that Clint could do a movie that takes PLACE in the west, but that would just be reminesent of what he used to do.

First, the market for the Western movie is ever shrinking. Its to be expected, when the western movies started, they were only thirty years away from when those times ended. Hell, Wyatt Earp actually sat down and watched a movie about himself at the O.K Corrall. That had to be kinda cool.

But as we go farther forward, the western becomes dilluted. Westerns are now action movies that take place in the west. Or melodramas that take place in the west, and not a classic western.

The times have changed, and honestly I like the direction that Clint has taken (and apparently so did the Oscars). Hes at a point when he can do his work from a different perspective. The market changed, and so did he, again.

Do we really want to admit our own fear of mortality by taking a man that REALISTICALLY has no business in a western, and put him in one?  It would be disappointing on two levels.

1. There is no good western anymore, period. I challenge you to give me a good classically created movie about the West that took place in the last ten years (short of Unforgiven).

2. If Clint played in a western, he couldnt be the central character.  He would be a sideline character to a younger more marketable person, who identifies with the younger times..the same way it was in Million Dollar Baby.

I cant speak for everyone, but personally, seeing Paul Newman and Robert Duvall taking bit parts just to get them on screen somewhat saddens me. These are the heroes of cinema, dont we owe them more respect than that????

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2005, 11:33:39 AM »

bdc28
             Your argument is well reasoned and almost makes sense ............ almost . Robert Duvall has ALWAYS been a character/supporting actor who very rarely headlines a movie .
Paul Newmans part in Road To Perdition was terrific and a role to be proud of .
To say that there are no good westerns just doe'snt make sense  . No one knows what marvelous script may be ready to be written .
As far as Clint being the star ............ it may not happen but that would be his choice and no one else's . Remember , he does have considerable clout in the industry .
Personally I doubt if he ever will do another western as Unforgiven is the perfect " last " western for him but , if he did , I'd be first in line at the cinema .
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2005, 01:25:42 PM »

he could easily still be the lead actor in a western

and there is still lots of western stuff left but the trouble everyone tries to be too clever - like tombstone or open range they all think it has to be quirky - but like unforgiven good films are always appreciated in whatever genre - but a good film takes commitment and a visionary and there are not many left

clint seems to be happy trying new stuff which is cool

england -  its flag the St George flag
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2005, 11:51:15 PM »

I mostly agree with bdc, and Road to Perdition is NOT a Western so I don't know what you were thinking there Walt.
There has been no good westerns since Unforgiven. Open Range just made me fall asleep, Robert Duvall was the only thing good about the movie. And if there are going to be anymore westerns, the people involved with the script would have to make a damn good one. Let's face it, not only Clint but also in general, every idea of the Western genre has already been experimented with, I'm not saying it's dead, but if there were going to be anymore westerns, I highly doubt we would see anything different from a cliche riden story.

-Dirty Harry
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2005, 01:48:19 AM »

Road to Perdition is NOT a Western so I don't know what you were thinking there Walt.

Of course it's not a western , did someone say it was ?
I was referring to bdcs statement that Paul Newman was taking " bit " parts just to get him on screen . Does that make it clearer for you ?
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »

Of course it's not a western , did someone say it was ?
I was referring to bdcs statement that Paul Newman was taking " bit " parts just to get him on screen . Does that make it clearer for you ?

got it  O0

-Dirty Harry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T