News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »

Poll

Do cats or dogs rule?

Cats are the Yoda of cool.
29 (46.8%)
I ain't nuthin' but a hound dog.
33 (53.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cats or Dogs?  (Read 198581 times)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: November 07, 2003, 01:49:51 PM »

I'm determined that one day cats will rule the world (with me as their leader, of course!) Today, I ask you, the Clint faithful, to make a choice: are you with me, as a devoted kitty-lover, or will you do the dirty and devote yourself to the dog?

The choice is yours...choose carefully, as they said in Buffy recently*, you don't want to be on the losing side when it's good vs evil, cat vs dog...

N.B. This poll is completely unbiased in an environmentally-friendly non-stick fat-free kind of way....
*The last part may have been made up.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 01:50:40 PM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 02:30:04 PM »

Today, I ask you, the Clint faithful, to make a choice: are you with me, as a devoted kitty-lover, or will you do the dirty and devote yourself to the dog?

Well, whenver I do the dirty I don't devote myself to no dog!  ;)

Seriously though, I am a cat-lover, always have been, although we don't own one right now (my wife hates cats).

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 03:41:27 PM »

I like cats...

But I love Dogs. ;)

I got a very special dog when I was six years old, and today, fourteen years later, he's still around. I realize he won't be around for a whole lot longer, but I think I'll always be a dog person because of him.

However, I don't want to make the cat folks feel bad (sorry Ally :)). My cat is around nine years old, so we've had her around for a while as well. She's one cool cat, too. 8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »

That's one fine looking kitty on your avatar, Ally. ;)  

But when you have this beautiful baby looking up at you .  .  . how could you not say "Dogs"?

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 04:55:49 PM »

Sorry, allycat, I can't vote in your poll.  I own both and love both.   :)

However, after looking at Matt's dog for the last hour, I think I can be persuaded to be "nuthin' but a hound dog."  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 05:51:59 PM by mgk » Logged
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 08:21:18 AM »

Cat lover, all the way :D
I used to be totally obsessed with cats when I was like 6-7...Now I kinda got over it but Im still a big cat fan

Meet Ozzy, probably the coolest cat I ever owned :)

;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 08:54:47 AM »

Here's my favorite breed of cat - a rare breed, very difficult to find in pet stores. Only downside is they're quite finicky, and can have a tendency to stray and get into mischief if you don't keep your eye on them. That's why I trained mine to be a housecat.  8)

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 08:58:31 AM »

That settles it. Cats it is.
Can anyone post me a nice piccie of Eartha Kitt.
Purrrrrrrfect.  ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 09:00:28 AM »

Here's my favorite breed of cat - a rare breed, very difficult to find in pet stores. Only downside is they're quite finicky, and can have a tendency to stray and get into mischief if you don't keep your eye on them. That's why I trained mine to be a housecat.  8)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 11:06:12 AM »

Can anyone post me a nice piccie of Eartha Kitt.
Purrrrrrrfect.  ;)

Ms. Kitt:

Julie Newmar:

Lee Meriwether:

Michelle Pfeiffer:

Posting Halle Berry's pic as catwoman might upset the women around here...   so I'll post a link instead: http://www.meteore.ca/catwoman/

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 01:50:06 PM »

Sorry Mary and anyone else who couldn't choose between furry felines and cute canines - I did think of including an option for both but sometimes you just have to take sides! I was annoyed at that Cats vs Dogs film (or whatever it was called) because it was biased towards dogs right from the beginning. Although not entirely favourable to either - cats were portrayed as devious and intelligent, dogs as stupid and friendly. I do think overall cats are more intelligent and independent of humans, although my own cat contradicts this completely - if she was human she would be a dumb blonde (no offence to blonde people - yet another stereotype!)
Misty I love your cat! Mine is pretty too, will post a pic of her soon.
Matt, you're right - I hate the pic of Halle Berry as catwoman. Call that a costume?! What costume?!! I don't think she looks sexy at all. My favourite catwomen are Michelle Pfeiffer and Julie Newmar. I will soon post a picture of me in my very own cat costume if I can work out how to do it. Don't get excited though - I was only 5 at the time!

Love ally xxx p.s Keep voting - nice to see cats are on top! No offence to dogs - I am rather partial to a nice labrador myself (sounds like I want to eat one or something!)  :-X
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:53:44 PM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 03:14:11 PM »

Hey everyone, look at this beautiful baby!

It's mgk's new puppy, to be delivered the day after Christmas.

What a beauty she is!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 09:49:14 PM by Matt » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 04:18:33 PM »

Matt, you're right - I hate the pic of Halle Berry as catwoman. Call that a costume?! What costume?!! I don't think she looks sexy at all.
I'm not sure if Matt was trying to get the feeling of hate across there with his emoticons. ;)

I will soon post a picture of me in my very own cat costume if I can work out how to do it. Don't get excited though - I was only 5 at the time!

I have to admit, you almost had me excited there until I read the whole sentence. ;D

mgk, that's a cool looking puppy. What type of dog is that?
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 04:24:58 PM »

It's a Pug and I've wanted one forever!!!!  Someone very special let me know today that they were getting it for me for Christmas.  :-*  Can you believe that?

She's so young that she won't be ready until Christmas Eve but I have to wait until December 26th to get her.  Isn't she beautiful?  :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 04:32:44 PM »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww mgk, what a cutie! She's almost as cute as a human baby I saw a picture of recently!
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2003, 04:54:34 PM »

Thanks, KC!!!! 

How lucky can one person be?  Brings me to tears every time I think about it.   But, good tears. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 07:40:04 PM by mgk » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2003, 05:54:00 PM »

Dogs!  Cats are ok, but I prefer beagles.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2003, 05:58:13 PM »

Cats, dogs, animals in general, who the hell knows?! HEHE...

I think in general cats and dogs are more suited to people with different temperaments. Certain people with a temperament conducive to liking cats will like cats better, and other people will generally like dogs better. Dogs tend to me more aggressive, more interactive, less independent, more needy, more of a companion than cats are. Cats can pretty much survive on their own for the most part, dogs are much more of a commitment and they really do need to be taken care of. I've had both. I think my experiences with animals has colored my thinking a bit. The first animal that I remember getting was a golden retriever, and we had to put him to sleep because he had developed hip dysplasia (sp). Then, years later, we got another dog, another golden retriever, and we had to give that up because at the time my mom was pregnant with my little brother Fares, and my Dad was afraid that the dog being very hyper could kill my little brother or knock us all down and cause serious injury, so we had to give that dog up to somebody else as well. Golden retrievers in general tend to be very hyper and high maintenance.

A couple of years ago, my little brother Fares and my mom picked up these two cats and we adopted them. We looked for an owner or any signs or mention of lost cats, but we never found anything, so we ended up taking in the cats. My brother named the cats Lucky and Misty. I don't know where the Misty came from, but my little brother, who was like 7 or 8 at the time, named the other cat lucky because we were "lucky that we found him." Then this past Christmas, we got another golden retriever, this being 9 years or so between this dog and the other dog that we had to give up. The dog is extremely hyper, jumps up and down all the time, the minute you go outside she'll try to jump on you and I just generally haven't dealt with it much at all. So, for me, this dog I don't really have much of a relationship with. My mom loves her, but I didn't really ever have much of an attachment. Maybe this is a subconscious thing because I did like the other two dogs, and we had to give them up, so maybe I didn't want to have an attachment to another dog I'd have to give up. I don't know. Mainly, I think I'd like the dog a lot better if it were trained and not extremely hyper and wanting to jump on me all of the time.

With the cats, I like the cats a bit more, but Misty really keeps to herself and is very solitary, not really needing anyone or anything, so there isn't that much of an interaction. Lucky is more friendly and would sometimes come and sit on my lap or something like that, or jump on my bed when I wasn't even there, so I like him a bit more. I think in general, were I to get a pet, I'd probably get a cat because cats are a lot more solitary, it isn't as much of a responsibility, and cats will never jump all over you and knock you down ;) If I had the choice between a cat and a really trained and respectful dog, that might change things, but in general, I think especially for a first time pet owner, it's probably best to have a cat :) Those are my thoughts.  I'm not voting in your poll Ally, but I did want to come and support the thread with my own thoughts. Post more and post in the regular threads and film discussions and I'll go support you there, Ally! :) Come on girl! :)

AMIR
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2003, 02:09:49 AM »

Dogs tend to me more aggressive
. An aggressive dog has got nothing but a mouth to bite, an aggressive cat has got 4 paws with claws on top of the mouth. I prefer an aggressive dog over an aggressive cat anytime :) (in a room that is, not in open countryside)  ;)

And, to help choose between dog and cat, remember

A dog has his master, a cat has his servants  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 02:26:39 AM by bcm » Logged

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
william

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2003, 03:52:48 AM »

Matt! Those are great pics of your Boston Terrier! :D Dogs rule ;) when it comes down to quality time at home. My pomeranian Woolybear always fetches his favorite toy for me to play fetch with, curls up to my wife and I in bed at night to snooze the night away, and piss on the papers  ;)like he was trained to do! This is our second Pom and we love the breed. I wish I could post a pic for you all to see. Misty, you have a beautiful cat! And Matts pics of those sleek kittens in black made me think of my wedding night ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T