News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommended Documentaries  (Read 997 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 28, 2020, 05:21:41 AM »

During this lockdown I find myself watching more documentaries than ever ..
I just finished Storyville. The Highjacker who Vanished. The Mystery of D.B Cooper..

I had a vague memory of this story from way back in the 70s. Very interesting piece..

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had some cool documentaries they?d like to recommend ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:00:06 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »

Identical Strangers is brilliant. I saw it on Netflix a few months ago. Highly recommend it.  8) 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »

Nice one... I?ll look out for that 👍

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:53:43 AM »

A few years ago I watched Runnin' Down a Dream, the Peter Bogdanovich documentary about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It's four hours long, and I remember I watched the first three the first night I started it. I saw it on Netflix but since then it's been probably the first documentary I ever bought on DVD.

A few months ago I bought digital copies of Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy and Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (they were bundled together). I've seen Never Sleep Again before, and it's also about four hours long. I liked it a lot. Crystal Lake Memories is in two parts, totally six hours and forty minutes long. I haven't started it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

So I guess those could be good recommendations if you like Tom Petty, A Nightmare on Elm Street, or Friday the 13th. :D

I just watched Console Wars the other night on CBS All Access (the post automatically created the link). It's about Nintendo and Sega. I've actually seen a few docs about video games. That seems to be an interest of mine. ???

Disney Plus has a lot of their nature documentaries. A couple weeks ago I watched Penguins, and then I saw they had a documentary about the making of that documentary called Penguins: Life on the Edge. I liked Life on the Edge better, where you can see the filmmakers out braving the elements in Antarctica to film the penguins, orcas, and leopard seals. And I noticed they have a few other sets of movies like that, where you can watch the original doc and then also see the documentary made about the making of the other film (one about elephants and the other about dolphins).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:55:03 AM by Christopher » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »

I don't watch that many documentaries, but some of my favorites in recent years are the first season of Making a Murderer (I didn't watch the second season), The Stair Case, and The Keepers. I think those are all on Netflix. When I do watch documentaries, I seem to like crime stories.

I also liked The Gatekeepers, which focuses on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as well as the Fog of War, which centers around Robert McNamara, who served as Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam war. I've also seen Three Strangers and would recommend that as well. If I didn't know it was based on true events, I wouldn't believe the events it depicts actually happened. Life Itself, which focuses on the life of film critic Roger Ebert, was also worth checking out.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

If you enjoyed Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things from about 5 years ago, check out the follow up, The Minimalists: Less Is Now.

Highly recommended.  8)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »

Wait a minute ... a documentary about minimalism has a sequel? Isn't that sort of a contradiction in terms? ???
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 12:58:19 AM »

🤣🤣

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 01:22:56 AM »

Wait a minute ... a documentary about minimalism has a sequel? Isn't that sort of a contradiction in terms? ???

;D ;D ;D

It isnt extreme minimilism but everyone just has so much stuff that a good portion of it, is never used.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 10:50:26 AM »

Well, in my case I could use several sequels, then! ;D
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:20 AM »

Good recommendation Kid... I watched it this morning and enjoyed it. Thought provoking...
I?m hanging on to my books, records and clothes tho.. 😊

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:06 AM »

Crime Scene... Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel..

Pretty creepy in places but an interesting case. 
A young girl goes missing whilst staying at one of LAs most notorious hotels on the edge of Skid Row..
The only video footage shows the young girl acting very strangely in the hotel lift..

Bit overly padded in places ( as these things often are) but it holds the interest.. Passed an evening..

Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »

Crime Scene... Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel..

Pretty creepy in places but an interesting case. 
A young girl goes missing whilst staying at one of LAs most notorious hotels on the edge of Skid Row..
The only video footage shows the young girl acting very strangely in the hotel lift..

Bit overly padded in places ( as these things often are) but it holds the interest.. Passed an evening..
It was ok but they REALLY stretched it out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T