News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genesis of The Unforgiven...  (Read 5900 times)
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:08:04 AM »

I was watching a new episode of the AMC show "Sunday Morning Shootout" and their guest was Francis Ford Coppolla.

He mentioned he tried to get Eastwood to star in a Western, that he even did some writing on the script, sent it to Eastwood (maybe even unbeknownst to Eastwood), but then the option ran out.  And four yrs later The Unforgiven was released.  He hinted that Unforgiven was partly his, he helped write it, and tried to get Eastwood to star in it a mear 4 yrs before it was released (that would be '88).

Now, I always read that Eastwood bought it 10 yrs before it was released (that would make it '82), and that he shot it almost as it was written.

Has anyone else hear that The Unforgiven began with Coppola rather than the Peebles ?
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:33:07 AM »

nope

coppola  :D

i hope he nothin to do with it
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 11:36:29 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:33:04 PM »

Please note that The Unforgiven and Unforgiven are different movies. The Unforgiven was just crap compared to the real Unforgiven. And too bad for Coppola for not staying with the script.

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »

Please note that The Unforgiven and Unforgiven are different movies. The Unforgiven was just crap compared to the real Unforgiven. And too bad for Coppola for not staying with the script.

Eastwoods Unfirgiven was originally called The Unforgiven.  And Coppolla clearly alluded that they were one of the same ...  that is, he was clearly talking about Eastwoods Unforgiven.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »

And four yrs later The Unforgiven was released.  He hinted that Unforgiven was partly his, he helped write it, and tried to get Eastwood to star in it a mear 4 yrs before it was released (that would be '88).

gimpy - gwb, pt deux is saying the Coppola is talking about 4 years prior to the release of Unforgiven and that would be about 1988 which is 28 years after the movie, The Unforgiven that you are referring to.  You can check things like that over at www.imdb.com .

As for the rest of the facts, we need to find those somewhere else.  Something seems amiss about this.

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »

Sorry, gwb, pt deax - we posted almost at the same time.

After doing a Google search, the only thing I'm finding is Coppola's objection to the video game that involves The Godfather.  I will keep looking.  If anyone else finds anything about this, please let us know.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 02:57:33 PM by mgk » Logged
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:00:59 PM »

Eastwoods Unfirgiven was originally called The Unforgiven.  And Coppolla clearly alluded that they were one of the same ...  that is, he was clearly talking about Eastwoods Unforgiven.

And Coppolla also said that the name of his script was called, "The Cut Whore Killings"...

Peebles script was originally called "The William Munny Killings" is I remember reading reading....
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:04:49 PM »

Well, I guess I coulda' done a little research myself....

http://www.apex.net.au/~bill/movies/unforgiv.html

"Unforgiven
David Webb Peoples wrote the screenplay for Unforgiven in 1976. Francis Ford Coppola had the original option on it but he let it lapse due to financial problems and Clint Eastwood bought the option. ....."

I wonder what Coppola chgd about it or added to it with his script chgs.... Hackman seems to have thought his role was too violent (at least)... {from Eberts's review...}

"Hackman also told the backstage press he first thought his winning role was "too violent" when he read the screenplay some years ago, when Francis Ford Coppola was going to direct it. He thanked his agent and Eastwood for convincing him to reconsider..."

Oh well, it is a classic nonetheless....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:09:06 PM by gwb, pt deux » Logged
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 03:12:33 PM »

That must be what the program was referring to.  You solved your own mystery, gwb, pt deux.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:05:22 PM »

This thread is about as confused as they come.

In the first place, the title of Eastwood's film is Unforgiven. It was never called "The Unforgiven." The Unforgiven is the title of a 1960 film directed by John Huston, based on a novel by Curtis LeMay. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Eastwood's film.

In the second place, the author of the script of Unforgiven is David Webb Peoples, not "Peebles."

In the third place, Peoples wrote the script on spec in 1976. Coppola did have an option on it, but it expired before Eastwood acquired it, optioning it in 1983 and concluding the deal in 1985, not in 1988.

In the fourth place, as Richard Schickel tells us (Clint Eastwood, p. 451):

Before he went off to shoot it in the fall of 1991, he made one, and only one, significant revision in David Webb Peoples's screenplay: When he originally purchased it, the script had been called The Cut-Whore Killings. That had been changed to The William Munny Killings. Now Clint ordered another title change. Henceforth, this film would be known as Unforgiven.

I wonder what Coppola chgd about it or added to it with his script chgs.... Hackman seems to have thought his role was too violent (at least)... {from Eberts's review...}

"Hackman also told the backstage press he first thought his winning role was "too violent" when he read the screenplay some years ago, when Francis Ford Coppola was going to direct it. He thanked his agent and Eastwood for convincing him to reconsider..."

As far as I know, Coppola made no significant changes in Peoples's script. Peoples said Eastwood shot the script almost exactly as he wrote it. Hackman did change his mind when Eastwood offered him the role, but it was a matter of being persuaded by Eastwood to rethink the statement about violence the film was making; it had nothing to do with script changes. (See Schickel, p. 461.)

I'd like to know exactly what Coppola said in the program, which first aired on April 8. If anyone hears it's going to be rebroadcast, or knows of a transcript available on the Web, please let us know.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 08:11:47 PM by KC » Logged
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 05:55:31 AM »

This thread is about as confused as they come.

Sorry if it confuses you.  It seems that other people can understand....

In the first place, the title of Eastwood's film is Unforgiven. It was never called "The Unforgiven." The Unforgiven is the title of a 1960 film directed by John Huston, based on a novel by Curtis LeMay. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Eastwood's film.

Sorry, but I remember it being referred to as 'THE Unforgiven' before it was released.

In the second place, the author of the script of Unforgiven is David Webb Peoples, not "Peebles."

Well, pardon me all to hell. 

In the third place, Peoples wrote the script on spec in 1976. Coppola did have an option on it, but it expired before Eastwood acquired it, optioning it in 1983 and concluding the deal in 1985, not in 1988.

In the first place, I am only saying what Coppola said on the show.  Shoot him, not me.

In the fourth place, as Richard Schickel tells us (Clint Eastwood, p. 451):

As far as I know, Coppola made no significant changes in Peoples's script. Peoples said Eastwood shot the script almost exactly as he wrote it. Hackman did change his mind when Eastwood offered him the role, but it was a matter of being persuaded by Eastwood to rethink the statement about violence the film was making; it had nothing to do with script changes. (See Schickel, p. 461.)

Didn't say he did make significant chgs - all I said was that Coppola said he did help on some writing.

I'd like to know exactly what Coppola said in the program, which first aired on April 8. If anyone hears it's going to be rebroadcast, or knows of a transcript available on the Web, please let us know.

Part one of the two part interview aired 4/8, pt two, the one I referred to, aired 4/24.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 06:17:21 AM »

It wasn't just you, gwb, pt deux. But anyway ...

Sorry, but I remember it being referred to as 'THE Unforgiven' before it was released.
Then I believe the sources you are remembering were mistaken. The earliest publicity known to me has Unforgiven, as does the celebrated teaser poster.

Part one of the two part interview aired 4/8, pt two, the one I referred to, aired 4/24.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if will be rebroadcast any time soon?

And once again, your orignal post ended with ...
Has anyone else hear that The Unforgiven [sic] began with Coppola rather than the Peebles [sic] ?
If Coppola was suggesting that the film, under whatever title, BEGAN with him rather than David Webb Peoples, that would be sensational and I would really like to see a transcript.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:20:28 AM by KC » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 07:17:14 AM »

Another working title for "Unforgiven" was "Whore's Gold".  This is according to Kevin Costner several years ago on Jay Leno.  Costner mentioned that he had read an early script and loved it.

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »

I wonder what Costner would have done with it on screen?

WKC.

Another working title for "Unforgiven" was "Whore's Gold".  This is according to Kevin Costner several years ago on Jay Leno.  Costner mentioned that he had read an early script and loved it.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 09:17:19 AM »

Not much.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
GuardianAngel

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 08:16:50 PM »

WKC.

From what I heard.. Costner would probably walk off the set... *laughs*

Sorry bad joke.. I do think Costner is a good actor though, just don't know about his true personality...not that it matters when I watch his films.

This whole Unforgiven thing has got me interested..the Coppola/Peoples thing.. and the variety of titles.

Thanks for the information fellas... I had no idea until you brought it up.. good info.  :)
Kiwi Cowboy

"Dying ain't much of a living boy"!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 10:54:31 PM »

great movie

"In a time were life had no value, somtimes death had its price!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T