News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Duvall appreciation thread  (Read 19021 times)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

I enjoyed Open Range. I thought that the story was good but not great. What I loved is Robert Duvall delivers an outstanding and believable performance once again. I thought that Kevin Costner(Charlie) and Robert Duvall(Boss) had great chemistry together. The gunfight at the end of the movie stood out to me as one to watch again. I liked the progression of the relationship between Costner's character and Annette Bening's character. I will definitely watch it again.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »

I enjoyed Open Range. I thought that the story was good but not great. What I loved is Robert Duvall delivers an outstanding and believable performance once again. I thought that Kevin Costner(Charlie) and Robert Duvall(Boss) had great chemistry together. The gunfight at the end of the movie stood out to me as one to watch again. I liked the progression of the relationship between Costner's character and Annette Bening's character. I will definitely watch it again.

I'm glad you liked it Richard Earl. I hold Open Range in higher regard though. I think it's a wonderful film and an above average western. The acting is great, and I loved the scrip. The ending tops it off for me as well, making it a future classic in my opinion.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »

I'm glad you liked it Richard Earl. I hold Open Range in higher regard though. I think it's a wonderful film and an above average western. The acting is great, and I loved the scrip. The ending tops it off for me as well, making it a future classic in my opinion.
I definitely thought is was an above average western by a long shot ;D. I would have to say that is the best made western that I have seen since Unforgiven.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:47:57 AM by Richard Earl » Logged

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 09:47:36 AM »

I definetly thought is was an above average western by a long shot ;D. I would have to say that is the best made western that I have seen since Unforgiven.

I would have to agree there about it being the best western since Unforgiven. Have you seen the recent films "The Propisition" and "Serepham Falls?" They're pretty damn good westerns.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »

I would have to agree there about it being the best western since Unforgiven. Have you seen the recent films "The Propisition" and "Serepham Falls?" They're pretty damn good westerns.
I will give those a watching Kid. Thanks for the heads up man.

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »

I will give those a watching Kid. Thanks for the heads up man.

No problem Richard Earl! "The Proposition" is a western set in the outback of Australia. A wonderful setting for this type of story. Guy Pierce and Ray Winstone are absolutely amazing. This film may be a bit boring to some people but it absolutely blows me away. It's a marvel to look at. It was filmed beautifully! There is a lot of Sergio Leone and Sam Peckinpah elements to this film which you will notice. I also see some elements of Terrence Malick, particularly the usage of lighting in the film. Terrence is another wonderful director. One of my favorites.

"Serephim Falls" is another western that surprised me. Pierce Brosnan and Leam Neesen star in this exciting, edge of your seat film. I'll have to admit, I was not a fan of Pierce Brosnan but he opened my eyes totally with this performance! I think it's some of his best work yet. As we know, Leam Neesen is a great actor but in my opinion Pierce outshined him here, and that's hard to do. He was that good. The first half hour of this film will blow you away. It's one of the best openings you will ever see. I was on the edge of my seat. It's that good.

Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »

http://www.emmys.tv/awards

And the Emmy goes to...  

4 Emmy Awards including

OUTSTANDING MINISERIES
BROKEN TRAIL   AMC

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR A MOVIE
ROBERT DUVALL as Prentice “Print” Ritter

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR A MOVIE
THOMAS HADEN CHURCH as Tom Harte

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A MINISERIES, MOVIE OR A SPECIAL
BROKEN TRAIL   AMC

So, even more reason if you haven't seen Broken Trail yet, it's a dang good one.    O0  8)

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man."  Ramon Rojo
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »

I'm so damn happy for Broken Trail, and especially happy for Robert Duvall!!!! This mini-series deserved all the awards it got and then some. Such a great western!

Tehama Tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »

Not to take anything away from Robert Duvall's great win last night, but I suppose everybody here would like to hear that Eli Wallach was also nominated for an Emmy.  Too bad he didn't win tho.   :'(

I haven't seen the show myself, but apparently he was nominated for Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series for his role as Eli Weintraub on NBC's Studio 60 - On The Sunset Strip.
So, way to go Tuco!!    O0

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol will be a dead man."  Ramon Rojo
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »

Not to take anything away from Robert Duvall's great win last night, but I suppose everybody here would like to hear that Eli Wallach was also nominated for an Emmy.  Too bad he didn't win tho.   :'(

I haven't seen the show myself, but apparently he was nominated for Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series for his role as Eli Weintraub on NBC's Studio 60 - On The Sunset Strip.
So, way to go Tuco!!    O0

I love how Eli Wallach is still going strong and still working none the less!!! Congrats for him on the nomination!!! Tuco will always be remembered baby!

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2007, 02:23:16 AM »

Found this interesting article on Duvall.

Authenticity is paramount to Duvall. He refuses to watch the HBO Western series Deadwood because he considers the constant swearing inaccurate and gratuitous. He found Unforgiven, which won the best-picture Oscar, flawed because Clint Eastwood's character has trouble mounting his horse after years out of the saddle. "You never forget a thing like that," Duvall says. "I may need a stool nowadays, but you never forget how to get on your horse."

USA Today

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2007, 05:27:14 AM »

Well, tell Duvall that it wasn't Clint's character so much ... it was the horse. He was getting even with Munny for the sins of his youth. ;)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2007, 09:22:01 AM »

I wanted to share this with all of you. I was watching Mark Wahlberg on the Conan O'Brien show last night. Mark was on promoting the upcoming film "We Own the Night" starring himself, Joaquin Phoenix, and Robert Duvall.

I dunno if you've ever heard but when Joaquin Phoenix is filming a movie, he really gets into it and stays in character even when they're not shooting. I guess between takes, Mark said Joaquin kept egging on Robert Duvall asking him why he's still acting, and that he's 150 years old now and should think about retiring. I guess Robert was getting pissed and told Mark Wahlberg he was going to kick Joaquin's ass if he didn't cut it out. hahahahaa. Mark kept telling him he was only kidding with Robert and Robert kept saying he didn't care.  ;D

I guess Joaquin and Robert are cool with eachother now but there was some tention on set.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 03:19:27 AM »

Broken Trail was finally shown here last Monday night. Well the first part was and the second is on again next Monday.

Are there only two episodes at 90 minutes each? The programme had it written as season one, episode one and season one, episode two. ???

I'm going to save both episodes, so I can watch it all in one sitting.  8)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:57 AM »

Are there only two episodes at 90 minutes each? The programme had it written as season one, episode one and season one, episode two. ???

The IMDb has "Runtime: 184 min (2 parts)," for what that's worth.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »

Nice article on the New York times website that says,

A version of this article appeared in print on July 25, 2010, on page AR6 of the New York edition.

But isn't that tomorrow?

Anyway, Duvall fans will enjoy it, I'm sure.  :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/movies/25low.html

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 08:39:48 PM »

The Times often publishes things on their website ahead of the date of publication, but then, some sections of the Sunday paper are published ahead of time, also. I think the Arts section may actually come out on Friday.
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »

I think I saw him in a live Broadway play called American Buffalo--I think that was the name. It was decades ago, but I remember a lot of cursing going on, and that was a bit disconcerting, as I wasn't used to it. Now, here in the city, vocabularies and sentences are comprised of countless curses.

LCat

Goals are Great!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T