News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint: A Retrospective book by Richard Schickel  (Read 2101 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »

Do any of you have this book?  If so is it a great book?  I saw on Amazon they have it in paperback which is much more affordable for me.  It says it has over 300 quality photos of Clint.  I already have a biography of Clint which is just strictly written words.  I would like to get a good book with some great photos along with some reading as well.

Thanks for any help
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »

I have that book Rawhide7 and it is one I often look at. There are more pictures than text. Also included is a 20 minute DVD.  Clint talks about his movies with Richard Schickel while visiting the Warner Brothers lot. I don't know if the paperback contains the DVD. I would recommend it if you want lots of pictures of Clint.  My hardback book goes up to 2010 and Invictus is the latest movie mentioned.

Hope that helps.  :)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »

I mentioned about recently getting this book in this thread: http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=8046.0

I picked up a bargain priced book that unfortunately didn't include a DVD. That's the first I've heard about that, Lin. Sound cool!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »

It is pretty good Christopher. It last about 20 minutes and cover a few movies, Clint playing piano and walking around Warner Bros. studio. 

It is in an envelope attached to the inside back cover of the hardback book.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »

Thanks Lin
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 06:20:23 AM »

This is a great book.  A must-have for fans, really.  I held out for quite a while and got the hardcover edition for a steal at Barnes & Noble for just $15!  All good things come to those who wait.  A few flaws but overall very nice.  I even decided to pick up the updated paperback version when it became available for a decent price, too, roughly around $11.  Smaller and easier to thumb through and more convenient for travel.  I'm sure as Clint continues to make movies, additional updates are on their way and that's fine by me. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:09:53 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 01:54:51 AM »

I picked this up in a charity shop (thrift store) here in Scotland the other day.

Why have I not bought it before?! Fantastic book!
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 03:56:40 AM »

I picked this up in a charity shop (thrift store) here in Scotland the other day.

Why have I not bought it before?! Fantastic book!

Yes, this is a pretty good book with beautiful pictures. The introduction on Clint career is interesting too.
The comments on films seemed sincere: for instance, Richard Schickel stated that The Beguiled was really the first important Clint film since The Dollars trilogy.
Schickel did not hesitate to share some of his personal favorite Clint films like The Enforcer or the Philo Beddoe films, which are generally put among the weakest Clint films.
This book was updated a couple times. The last version includes Sully.
Unfortunately, it seems that there will be no more updating, since Richard Schickel passed away in February 2017.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:05:47 AM by Hocine » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »

I just checked my edition and saw that it ends with J. Edgar.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »

I have the really nice coffee table book, Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work. How does it compare to that? If I already have that, do I need this one? I have not actually ever seen this book in person.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 01:53:26 AM »

I have the really nice coffee table book, Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work. How does it compare to that? If I already have that, do I need this one? I have not actually ever seen this book in person.

Clint: A Retrospective and Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work are definitely two different books.

Clint: A Retrospective is a book with beautiful pictures, which chronogically presents Clint Eastwood career in movies, as an actor and a director, year by year, film by film. Originally, the first edition went from A Fistful of Dollars (1964) to Invictus (2009). The last edition that I have (in French) includes Sully (2016).
The first edition came out in 2010 and celebrated the 35 years of collaboration between Clint and Warner Bros. It is like a piece companion to The Eastwood Factor, the 2010 documentary directed by Richard Schickel. If you remember, a Clint Eastwood dvd collection (35 years, 35 films) came out at that time, which was illustrated by the same cover than that book (Clint at three different stages of his career: Million Dollar Baby, Pale Rider and Kelly's Heroes).

Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work is a great book. I bought it when it came out in late 2012.
Most of the pictures were rare or never seen before. That book is more focused on Clint Eastwood the director and the technical aspects of filmmaking like cinematography, art direction, production design and visual effects. That book presents the behind-the-scenes side of some Clint movies.
Many famous collaborators of Clint were interviewed for that book.

AKA23, to answer to your question: I have the two books and I do not have the feeling to have the same book.
I would say that Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker is more ambitious than Clint: A Retrospective because it goes deeper to the technical aspects of some Clint films.
Clint: A Retrospective presents his body of work, with Clint and Richard Schickel comments on films. There is no deep analysis and the pictures dominate the text.
However, it remains a great book to have for a Clint Eastwood books collection.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:54:31 AM by Hocine » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 02:49:51 PM »

Thanks Hocine! This is definitely a helpful response for me.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »

As a fan, if I saw a book in a store and didn't have it, I'd probably buy it. Even if it was similar to books I've already got. Can never have enough Eastwood memorabilia. 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 03:32:16 AM »

Thanks Hocine! This is definitely a helpful response for me.

You are welcome, AKA23!
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 03:32:47 AM »

As a fan, if I saw a book in a store and didn't have it, I'd probably buy it. Even if it was similar to books I've already got. Can never have enough Eastwood memorabilia. 8)

Same for me :)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »

Sondra Locke's book is a worthy choice...........................................................................bwhahaha
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T