News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 217 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 875606 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3740 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »

I watched Amadeus today on Netflix. I saw it some years back when I was in school, though I don't remember what grade I was in. I liked it a lot then, and what's streaming now is the director's cut, making the movie run three hours (I don't remember if it was the director's cut I saw on commercial TV a long time ago). And it seriously didn't feel like a three hour movie to me. The 2-disc DVD is out at Walmart for cheap, and I'm tempted to buy a copy the next time I'm in just so I can have a copy for whenever it's taken off Netflix, plus it'd be fun to check out the extras.

O0

I love this movie too. When it first came out, it was my introduction to Mozart. He's still my favorite classical composer. I was a pianist, but not trained in classical, and I bought Mozart piano sheet music and taught myself to play. I love his music. And that movie really shows his genius and passion for life and music.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3741 on: January 04, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »

I was reading a little earlier about how fictionalized it is from what actually happened, but it's a wonderful movie nevertheless.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3742 on: January 04, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »

I think the one-sided Salieri rivalry was real though, wasn't it? Not that he had anything to do with Mozart's decline of health or ultimate demise, though.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3743 on: January 04, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »

Yes, I've seen some mention of a rivalry. I saw this on one website:

In reality, Mozart and Salieri seem to have patched up their differences by at least the last year of Mozart’s life - well enough for Salieri and Katerina to make such a show of attending "The Magic Flute" and cheering every song. Salieri may, of course, have just been playing politics but he does seem to have developed a thorough appreciation of Mozart’s genius - at least as an operatic composer. In this respect, the film is certainly accurate. Both Salieri and his mistress assured Mozart that they "had never seen a more beautiful or delightful show."

http://www.artsandmusic101.com/2012/04/amadeus-movie-fact-vs-fiction.html

I remember my brother watching a recording of The Magic Flute for a college class, and I sat and watched it with him. I don't remember much about it, but I found it interesting--I would have probably been 13 or 14 at the time.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3744 on: January 05, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »

Liked it  O0
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3745 on: January 05, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »

The Walk!

What can I say absolutely incredible.  True story of a man named Phillipp Pettite wire walked across one world trade center tower to the other back in 1974.  I cant believe he actually did that.  I am so scared of heights that just watching him do that on my HD tv made me sick! I had never heard about this before.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3746 on: January 05, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »

The Walk!

What can I say absolutely incredible.  True story of a man named Phillipp Pettite wire walked across one world trade center tower to the other back in 1974.  I cant believe he actually did that.  I am so scared of heights that just watching him do that on my HD tv made me sick! I had never heard about this before.
A few months back I watched the documentary called Man on Wire about him and his walk. It was good too--I'm curious to check out this other movie sometime.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3747 on: January 05, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »

Christopher was that documentary on Netflix by any chance?  Now that I've seen the movie I would love to see the documentary. I had never heard about this before. Right after watching the movie I searched him online he what he did was absolutely incredible. Stupid and crazy but amazing too!  You have to be off your rocker to attempt something like that. No matter how much I practice it how much confidence I have I still could never do something like that. All it took would be one bad step or a lot of wind to knock you off balance and well let's just say your a pancake. I cringed a lot just watching it! 
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3748 on: January 05, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »

Yeah, I watched Man on Wire on Netflix, and I see it's still there.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3749 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »

Yap, I just saw it too.

Im planning on watching it tomorrow on my day off.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3750 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »

Man on wire documentary.  Its movie legnth so Im including it here.

It was really cool watching the movie The Walk and then watching this documentary and seeing and hearing the real life people that were involved in it was neat.  I think that what he did is probably the most amazing thing ive seen so far in my life.  I mean walking across the two world trade center towers on a wire is flat out nuts but also pretty amazing that somebody would have the gall to do that.  I dont think we will ever see anybody do something like that as high as it was ever again.  That was truly an amazing thing that comes around once in a lifetime thats for sure.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3751 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:56 AM »

My name is nobody! 

First time watching this one. Really enjoyed it. Henry Fonda and Terrence hill are fabulous. Henry Fonda is a great great actor. One of the all time greats IMO.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3752 on: January 12, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »

Vertigo

Starring James Stewart

First time watching it.  For me it was okay.  Not really my cup of tea.  I like Rear window better.  I may rewatch it again because I had a bad headache while watching it.  Ive learned that if Im sick or really tired while watching a certain movie for the first time that I usually dont like it that much.  But if I watch it again when I feel better or well rested my views usually are much better.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3753 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »

Maybe all those swirling colors and zooming camera angels gave you.... vertigo?  ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3754 on: January 12, 2016, 10:08:32 PM »

Vertigo is my favorite Hitchcock movie, and my favorite James Stewart movie. But we've talked about favorite Hitchcock movies on here before (I think I started the thread a while back), and it seemed that it didn't always come in at the very top of quite a few people around here. I enjoy all four movies Hitch and Stewart made together though. Terrifically entertaining. O0
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3755 on: January 12, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »

I love Vertigo. I have a little trouble with The Man Who Knew Too Much, not because of Stewart, but Doris Day is just so dull. She's too wholesome. I can't take her as a leading lady.

To keep this on topic -- I watched The Martian this week, and boy did I enjoy it. Thumbs way up.  O0
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3756 on: January 12, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »

Yeah I can see how some people would like it and some may not.  I defenately want to watch it again and see if my views change on it.  Espicially since both of you liked it.  I do know I like Rear Window very much.  I remember watching a little bit of that one really late at night or actually it was 2am on TCM channel last yr.  And I liked it so much that I bought it on dvd!
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3757 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »

Paper Towns  8 out of 10

This film is based on a John Green(The Fault in Our Stars) book by the same name. There are some movies that just leave you feeling good after watching them. This is one of them. As a 44 year old man I found myself reflecting and remembering that magic feeling of being young. I as well as my wife loved this film!

[https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://t2.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn:ANd9GcS-vJVtPesV-TEiAfdj4zGLUPro9ioXOR7IZWGgHJVRol7L-5l2&imgrefurl=http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q%3Dtbn:ANd9GcS-vJVtPesV-TEiAfdj4zGLUPro9ioXOR7IZWGgHJVRol7L-5l2&h=1080&w=720&tbnid=6s52QpENlp2aHM:&tbnh=186&tbnw=124&docid=JgYVvg1eSih1zM&itg=1&usg=__x1kSzFlK24bZRAFEsdA0WTDjgT4=
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:18:48 PM by Richard Earl » Logged

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3758 on: January 16, 2016, 11:19:34 PM »

Ant-man

Better than expected :)

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #3759 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »

My name is nobody! 

First time watching this one. Really enjoyed it. Henry Fonda and Terrence hill are fabulous. Henry Fonda is a great great actor. One of the all time greats IMO.

Geoffrey Lewis (Orville Boggs) was in it to, leader of the Wild Bunch
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 217 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T