News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 969126 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4340 on: March 20, 2024, 02:11:30 PM »

Like Eastwood, for me Heston did not make a bad movie. Maybe, above all some of his later films, are as a fan a little bit embarrassing to watch because he has hardly any screen time in it, like the Van Damme movie "The Order" for example, but I won`t consider any of his films as bad or even weak in general.

Same with "Paint your Wagon", "The Dead Pool", "Pink Cadillac", "The Rookie", "Cry Macho", ... I have to admit, a like these films quite a lot.

Interesting comment. For me, I think Eastwood's batting average of films that are enjoyable to ones that are not is pretty high. Even movies that weren't as successful as they could have been still have a strong performance from him and other elements to recommend, but there are several Eastwood films that I don't enjoy at all, and don't really have a desire to rewatch. They would include the ones you've cited as well as "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can" and "City Heat". I would consider all the movies you listed, with the possible exception of "The Dead Pool", which I think had some interesting elements, to be ones that I wouldn't want to see again. There are also some director-only efforts that I probably wouldn't watch again either, like "15:17" to Paris, for example. For you, all Eastwood films are worth a rewatch and none are bad or weak? I want to be more like you!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 02:32:41 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Werfen

View Profile Email
« Reply #4341 on: March 20, 2024, 04:14:54 PM »

That`s the way I see it. Maybe my attitude towards his films is wrong. I don`t know. And maybe my English is not good enough to explain it.

It is not so that I don`t criticise Eastwood at all. I still think that he films a little too fast and I don`t like his empty frame editing. I don`t criticise his editing in general. The rhythm is simple and therefore great, but sometimes, when the action "leaves" the frame or the shot, you see the "empty" frame for too long. For example, in "The Rookie", when he picks up the money from the ground during the party and leaves the camera, the shot goes on for a second too long, seeing nothing relevant for the story, before it cuts to the next shot. This kind of editing is something, yes, I find really bad and which you can find in many of his movies he directed. His films would be more fluently and therefore better without this kind of editing.

But that does not make the entire movie bad and there is probably only me who don`t like it and criticise. And maybe I am completely wrong again, but that`s the way I see it.

The films you added are not bad films for me. Even "15:17", which I have seen only once so far, has some good shots in it, for example the various angles during the sequence when one of the guys gets himself in shape for the army and which makes for me the entire film worth rewatching again sometime.

Or I watch "Joe Kidd" quite often. For many his weakest western. But not for me. Because he did not make a weak western.

That`s the way I see it. Maybe I`m wrong.

And believe me, being more like me would be totally boring for you.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4342 on: April 02, 2024, 02:03:41 AM »

Born to Win 1971
George Segal Karen Black

New to me, this very gritty, sleazy New York set drama/Comedy. Before Mean Streets
I?m really warming to  George Segals performances after watching him in The Quiller Memorandum.
He?s very good in this

Villain 1973 starring Richard Burton
I think one of Burtons best performances as a psychopathic\ homosexual London gangster, kind of in
the Reggie Kray mould.. (see Legend starring Tom Hardy)

I really enjoyed Skyjacked with Charlton Heston too..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4343 on: April 14, 2024, 02:32:33 AM »

Rabid Dogs 1974 directed by Mario Bava

Very gritty but beautifully shot Italian thriller/noir..
New to me, unavailable for many years but I found a lovely print on you tube..
Brilliant little film but be warned.. tough watch in places..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4344 on: April 25, 2024, 08:10:01 AM »

Go Tell the Spartans 1978

Superior war film starring Burt Lancaster who gives a superb performance

Set in 1964 near the beginning of the Vietnam conflict , showing the futility of the whole war..
Downbeat and gritty? definitely deserved a larger audience at the time but overshadowed by the Deer Hunter

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T