News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last western you watched?  (Read 379831 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1240 on: October 27, 2015, 05:19:27 AM »

Flaming Star (1960)

The potential was certainly there to become a good actor in films like this, King Creole and Wild In The Country.  I should say a better actor because these films proved that Elvis was a good actor.  He needed improving but pleasing the fans for huge box office returns became the rule of thumb.  Instead of churning out three musicals a year, it would've been better had The King & Colonel agreed on just two films a year; one musical and one serious (drama, action, etc.) and balance that with touring, rather than discontinue live performances altogether.  C'est la vie.

Don Siegel did a good job directing this movie.  He would go on to work with Clint Eastwood later in the decade for the first time on Coogan's Bluff (1968) and they would collaborate on a number of good films together, Dirty Harry and Escape From Alcatraz being the best of them. 

Still, Flaming Star is an okay western movie.  It was originally intended for Marlon Brando to star in, like A Stone For Danny Fisher, renamed King Creole, was for James Dean.  Big shoes to fill.  Speaking of movie title name changes, Flaming Star had a couple of its' own; Black Star and Flaming Lance to name a couple.  The acting, drama and action here is okay.  I believe this is only one of two films in which Elvis' character dies, Love Me Tender being the other.  Although, it's obvious in Love Me Tender, not so in Flaming Star.  As Pacer says he's going off to die alone because he saw the "flaming star of death", Barbara Eden brings a horse to Steve Forrest leaving the viewer to speculate the possibility of his going after his half brother to save him.

I bet Flaming Lance, upon which this movie was based, would be a very good read.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:36:24 AM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1241 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »

'Bone Tomahawk' (2015)
-Kurt Russell

Plot: Rotten Tomatoes

In the Old West, a sheriff (Kurt Russell), his deputy (Richard Jenkins), a gunslinger (Matthew Fox),and a cowboy (Patrick Wilson) embark on a mission to rescue three people from a savage group of cave dwellers.

Phantom's Review: This is a wonderful movie, but it's definitely NOT for everyone. This is a slow burn, dialogue driven character piece. The action is all but non existent, and the horror aspects only happen towards the end. Instead you get a superbly acted movie with some of the best written dialogue that I have ever heard. In fact , there's barely even music. Kurt Russell is excellent as always, but to honest the whole cast is great.. If you want an action packed, blood soaked western , then look somewhere else. If you want to enjoy some great acting, then try to catch 'Bone Tomahawk'

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1242 on: October 30, 2015, 06:22:48 AM »

It was reviewed in the Times last Friday. No locations given, there's no movie clock in the Times any more and very few movie ads. I couldn't figure out where it was playing. They must assume everyone reads the paper on their telephone and can just jump out to the Internet and check on minor details like that.

Oh well, look it up when I'm online, I suppose, but I forgot to. And now I finally checked, after reading Phantomstranger's review. and the nearest location to me is in Ohio someplace. Swell.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1243 on: October 31, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »

^^^Wow, this is the first I've heard of Bone Tomahawk.  I looked it up and see it was distributed in 'limited release'.  I'd like to check it out, just too bad I missed the opportunity to see it on the big screen.  Kurt Russell is a favorite actor, as well as the western movie genre. 

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1244 on: October 31, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »

The Sons Of Katie Elder (1965)

One of my favorite Duke westerns, especially as it features Dean Martin.  I thought they were great in Rio Bravo, too.

“Eyuh.”
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1245 on: November 01, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »

" Cimarron "    1960    By Anthony Mann.    With Glenn Ford and Maria Schell.....    Good western! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimarron_(1960_film)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1246 on: November 02, 2015, 03:09:46 AM »

Bone Tomahawk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Tomahawk

Now that's what I call a Z-movie.Barely watchable.
1/5

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1247 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »

^Well, as Phantomstranger said (see above), it's not for everyone.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1248 on: November 02, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »

^Well, as Phantomstranger said (see above), it's not for everyone.

My problem wasn't the plot not even the low budget.
Just can't stand poor acting to say the least.
On the other hand if Phantomstranger had a good time I'll pass  ;)

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1249 on: November 02, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »

Have read some good reviews of Bone Tomahawk.Definitely want to see it...still most likely I´ll get my chance when it comes out as DVD/Blu-Ray.Doubtfull it`ll be shown in Finnish cinemas  :(
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1250 on: November 05, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »

" Westward the Women "   1951  By William A. Wellman.  With Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel and John McIntire.....  

Very interesting.....Tribute to the brave women of West!! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westward_the_Women

" Comanche Territory "    1950    By George Sherman.    With Beautiful Maureen O'Hara and Macdonald Carey....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche_Territory_(1950_film)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1251 on: November 29, 2015, 12:39:49 AM »

" Little Big Man "   1970   By Arthur Penn.    With Dustin Hoffman. Chief Dan George. Faye Dunaway.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Big_Man_(film)

" A Man Called Horse "    1970   By  Elliot Silverstein.   With Richard Harris.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Horse_(film)

" Guns of Diablo "   1965    By Boris Sagal.   With Charles Bronson, Susan Oliver and Kurt Russell....   Kurt was so cute!! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_of_Diablo

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1252 on: November 29, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »

Nothing like a grand old movie, especially a western on the big screen. 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1253 on: December 04, 2015, 02:23:25 AM »

Magnificent 7. One of the last generation of pre-revisionist westerns, it is a curious mix of old classic feel good films and the approaching new wave of reality in your face.

Very watchable and enjoyable.

Highly recommended. A-list stars galore. Perfectly realistic period piece for old wild west.

the man 

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1254 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:52 AM »

We used to watch Little Big Man on cable when we were kids and enjoyed it.  I've seen A Man Called Horse in recent years and liked it as well.  I've always enjoyed The Searchers, one of The Duke's best.  I've only seen The Magnificent Seven a couple of times and would like to see it again because I agree with The Man With No Aim in that it's very watchable and enjoyable. 

“Eyuh.”
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1255 on: December 05, 2015, 03:17:18 AM »

Bringing back good memories to me, Jed!

Never saw more than the trailers of Little Big Man or A Man Called Horse but they looked like top notch films.

The Searchers; saw it back in the day, it was a really close step to the new wave of revisionist westerns and it was so new in concept and impact that it was like being hit by lightning.  In fact, it was very much like when I watched Dirty Harry back in the day and compared it to the oatmeal cop films of that day.

It aint yo Long Ranger.

Should be on the required watching list of anybody who likes westerns.

The Man With No Aim
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:25:18 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1256 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

The Ridiculous 6

Just ridiculous  :2funny:

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1257 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »

An Adam Sandler western?  :o

Yes, I may need to watch that!  :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1258 on: December 12, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

The Ridiculous 6

Just ridiculous  :2funny:

I'm watching this now. It's funny!   ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1259 on: December 12, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »

I've added The Ridiculous 6 to my Netflix list already, and want to check it out sometime soon. The trailer a few months back looked funny.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T