News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last western you watched?  (Read 379869 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1260 on: December 12, 2015, 07:31:43 PM »

It's great!  ;D  KC would probably hate it, but maybe not.... I mean, it's a western with Abner Doubleday in it, featuring the very first baseball game ever played. Oh my god, this is hysterical. Yes, I'm loving this movie.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1261 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »

Since I enjoyed it SO much, I looked at the IMDb, thinking it would have a pretty decent rating. Not so. 5.3.  Most of the message board comments trash it. "Not funny", "didn't laugh once", "can he get any worse".

Are we watching the same movie? I expect people to trash Adam Sandler movies, but I'm always kind of surprised when I hear how badly they're ripped apart. They're not supposed to be high brow "art".... they're just supposed to be fun.

This movie was FUN! Thumbs up. I rate it an 8/10 for what it is:  Comedy.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1262 on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »

Never a good sign when there aren't any advance screenings for reviewers ... :o  :uglystupid2:
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1263 on: December 12, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »

It was never in theaters... it was released for streaming on Netflix two days ago. But, maybe they could have let reviewers stream it early.  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1264 on: December 12, 2015, 11:50:18 PM »

"Never in theaters" is never a good sign, either! :P
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1265 on: December 13, 2015, 12:09:57 AM »

Normally, that would be true. But, things are changing a bit in the digital age. I've read it's his best movie in 10 years (along with the barb "that's not saying much") but all the other movies have been in the theaters, and even his worst movies gross over $200M (with small budgets by Hollywood standards). So, the never being released in theaters thing wasn't due to poor quality or that it couldn't have been -- it appears to be the first of a "4 Netflix Movie Deal" that Sandler signed.

KC, you would have actually loved the scene with Abner Doubleday, played by John Turturro.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1266 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

O0
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1267 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »

" The Wild Bunch "   1969    By Sam Peckinpah.   With William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Edmond O'Brien, Ben Johnson......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Bunch

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1268 on: January 02, 2016, 01:37:55 AM »

O0

Hemlock,

My brother got me this movie for Christmas. I plan on watching it sometime next week when I get a chance. He watched it on tv awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never seen it before and my brother knows that westerns are my favorite genre so he got it for me. Really looking forward to watching it.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1269 on: January 02, 2016, 02:13:50 AM »

Hemlock,

My brother got me this movie for Christmas. I plan on watching it sometime next week when I get a chance. He watched it on tv awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never seen it before and my brother knows that westerns are my favorite genre so he got it for me. Really looking forward to watching it.

My elder son's favourite movie.Must have seen this around 100 times.He even dragged me in a special after midnight screening a couple of years back.He used to spell the lines before the actors and made the crowd cheer for him.
A great film though.Apparently I had the chance of viewing it on screen during the early '80s.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1270 on: January 03, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »

Thats cool Antonis!  I am planning on watching it this coming wed night.  Really looking forward to it!
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1271 on: January 04, 2016, 06:39:36 AM »

^ hope you liked it Rawhide7.I remember that I was slightly disappointed of My Name Is Nobody when I first saw it as a kid...as it was advertised as Sergio Leone-film (who`s only producer of the film...or was he also co-writer??).Anyways I did learn to like the film quite a bit after several viewings and now I wish I´d have a better copy of the film as the DVd that I´ve is quite poor...is it on blu-ray ??

Had a bit of Wayne-festival for my B-day (as I every year do with Rio Bravo anyways) and watched

Awesome films  O0
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1272 on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »

Its on dvd.  Even though I have a bluray player both my brother and I still buy dvds since they are cheaper and will play on the bluray player.  But when I can get blurays at a decent price I do buy them too.  But after what you said we may have wished we got it on bluray.  Either way Im sure Ill like the film.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1273 on: January 22, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »

Love Me Tender (1956)

Not bad for The King's first movie role.  A bit over-acted, but passable.  As westerns go, this was a good story with a decent love-triangle subplot.  I haven't seen Egan or Paget in anything else so I only know them from this film.  William Campbell is a Star Trek favorite, having played in the original series as Trelane in The Squire Of Gothos and Captain Koloth in The Trouble With Tribbles.  Neville Brand and James Drury would go on to have tv western success in Laredo and The Virginian, respectively.  Dick Sargent makes a brief appearane, uncredited, as a confederate soldier.  He's best known as the "second Darren" on tv's Bewitched and coincidentally, appeared in a more substantial role in one of Presley's last films, a romantic comedy entitled Live A Little, Love A Little. 

Presley with Richard Egan and Debra Paget

With Colonel Parker.  “You want WHAT percentage?!”

The “We’re Gonna Move” number with William Campbell

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1274 on: January 30, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »

Yet again watched these...

Damn good westerns  O0

I wish that I also got from Stewart-Mann duo,The Naked Spur.Have not seen that for ages  :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:08:31 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1275 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:24 AM »

Yet again watched these...

My parents were watching bend of the river the other day on tv. I am a huge fan of westerns. Matter fact westerns are my favorite movie genre. Anyways my mom told me to watch it sometime that it is a very good western. I'm always looking to watch good quality westerns that I haven't seen before. It's ashame that westerns made today aren't even half as good as the westerns from yrs ago. I do like open range and the true grit remake. Both of those are very good.

Damn good westerns  O0

I wish that I also got from Stewart-Mann duo,The Naked Spur.Have not seen that for ages  :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:14:13 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1276 on: February 15, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »

The Horse Soldiers (1959)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:59:17 AM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1277 on: February 15, 2016, 08:11:04 PM »

Bandolero (1968)

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1278 on: March 03, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »

'Forsaken' (2016)
-Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland, Demi Moore

Phantom's Review :
This is a terrific film. Yes, the plot is unoriginal and full of cliches. Yes, you know exactly what's going to happen, but that's ok. The film is so beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted that the plot works well. Donald Sutherland is a joy to watch as the bitter Pastor who's gunslinging son has returned home after ten years away. Kiefer Sutherland also does a great job as the gunfighter son. Demi Moore appears as Kiefers former love, who has moved on with life but still carries a torch for Kiefer. The end of the film is action packed and bittersweet. I loved this movie. See it if you can.

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1279 on: April 02, 2016, 08:17:18 AM »

'Forsaken' (2016)
-Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland, Demi Moore

Phantom's Review :
This is a terrific film. Yes, the plot is unoriginal and full of cliches. Yes, you know exactly what's going to happen, but that's ok. The film is so beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted that the plot works well. Donald Sutherland is a joy to watch as the bitter Pastor who's gunslinging son has returned home after ten years away. Kiefer Sutherland also does a great job as the gunfighter son. Demi Moore appears as Kiefers former love, who has moved on with life but still carries a torch for Kiefer. The end of the film is action packed and bittersweet. I loved this movie. See it if you can.

Watchable 6/10

Reminded me of another-far superior- western I saw a couple of decades ago.If I correctly recall it was called Unforgiven.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T