News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Best Performance  (Read 6982 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 22, 2003, 10:02:51 AM »

Im not sure if this topic has already been made, but I've always wondered this. What is Clints best performance? Everyone probably has differant answers as to where his best performance is, but say it anyway.

Im curious as to where everyone thinks Clint has given his best performance.

I've got a few movies where I think he did really well. Unforgiven, Dirty Harry, Heartbreak Ridge, A Fistful of Dollars and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

If I had to decide, I'd have to go with Unforgiven, probably just because its a killer performance. It seems to me that when I watch the movie, its showing that he put alot of effort into this part. The moment when hes shaving and getting ready to return to his old roots, and he looks out the window. No words, just facial expression. Amazing!! The part in the barn after he was beaten was another good spot, and so was the part where he was talking with the kid about killing a man. But my favourite part is the end, when hes back to being a cold blooded killer. You can see the fire in his eyes and hatred burning on his face.

The transformation of his character was very well done. I really dont know why he didnt get the Oscar.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 10:05:01 AM »

Don't forget The Bridges of Madison County.  I might lean toward that one for best performance.  
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 10:11:46 AM »

I think Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, Bridges, and Josey Wales are all amazing performances. Then I'd add The Beguiled, Bronco Billy, Tightrope, Play Misty for Me, as a few other of my favorites.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 10:12:46 AM »

Yah, true, I suppose, but I still havent seen that yet, damn VCR >:(, so I couldnt mention that. But when I do eventually see it, I might add it to my list. But I doubt its better then his Unforgiven performance, in my eyes.

Of course, Im talking about Bridges of Madison County, just to let people know. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2003, 10:13:45 AM by Nightwing » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 10:22:32 AM »

Well, Kincaid is such a different role from Munny that it's hard to compare and say that one is better than the other.    But, in my opinion, if any Clint performance can give Unforgiven a run for its money, it's Bridges.  They're both flawless performances of complex characters.  Perfectly done.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2003, 10:23:03 AM by Matt » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 01:29:16 PM »

I want to vote for Tightrope! I was asked recently which Clint film was my favourite and I was torn between that, Unforgiven, and Dirty Harry. Although I love Bridges too. It's difficult...but in Tightrope and Unforgiven he's deconstructing the hero...I like the way his character is flawed and more human, more prone to failure. In my opinion Clint is at his best when he plays these characters. Plus both films are really interesting and keep you watching. The thing about Clint's films is that they're full of classic lines, classic dialogue. Certain scenes always stick in your mind and make the films really memorable. Clint has chosen some really intriguing and unusual projects over the years.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 08:47:03 PM »

i am sure it was unforgiven, the movie was a  masterpiece and earned him two oscars,though nightwing mentions that the performance by clint was excellant but the fact of the  matter is it was pacino who beat clint  that year. it surely was clash of the titans.

rowdyyates
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 07:38:11 AM »

With regard to Clints best acting performances I would go for
Unforgiven
Honkytonk Man
In The Line Of Fire
Bridges Of Madison County

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 12:47:48 PM »

i would go outlaw josey wales, then unforgiven and then dirty harry.

england -  its flag the St George flag
HolyGhost

Light up your soul!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 10:06:31 PM »

Message deleted.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 10:20:53 PM by Matt » Logged
invisible dog

Dig Eli, dig for your life!!!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 05:34:59 AM »

Im gonna go for Bridges of Madison County for my favourite performance just because of the beautiful standing in the rain, is he crying?/isnt he? scene which just had me breaking down in tears.  :'(
Second is gonna be Unforgiven, and third is gonna be any of the episodes of rawhide, just to pay homage to me waking up at 7 in the morning to watch it as a small child, and the beginning of the love. ;D

"got that groove thing going on"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 11:04:22 PM »

Having just seen 'Bridges', I must say Clint gave a wonderful performanc in that movie as well. Although I still beleive his 'Unforgiven' performance is better, 'Bridges' rivals it.

The scenes I noticed Clint doing really well in are when he first meets Francesca, when they have dinner near the end and he tells her about this being a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, and then the rain scene when he was crying.

Great performance, and Im a bit upset he wasnt nominated.
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 11:48:24 PM »

Since your talkin best performance, Im goin with the Rookie! You all know the character was perfect! Pulovski's the man! great performance!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2003, 12:26:14 AM »

DD, surely you jest ...  :o  ::)
bigdai

"Keep it secret, keep it safe."

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2003, 01:00:15 PM »

Although not my favourite Clint western, I would have to say Unforgiven.  I think that was a flawless performance.  

Bridges was good but, I don't think challenging as it was a pure weepy and had high emotion.  

HeartbreaK ridge as I have said before is in my opinion a very poor film and so is Eastwood's performance.  

Runner-up - GBU.

Third - Bronco Billly/Josey

I've finally got a new job! Hoorah!!!
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2003, 08:59:58 PM »

Since your talkin best performance, Im goin with the Rookie! You all know the character was perfect! Pulovski's the man! great performance!
yeah !raul julia was good.i hope you were talking about him. or was it tom skirret.

rowdyyates
skippy

cool

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 07:17:18 PM »

The most effert I think Clint put in the movies are

Honky tonk man
Every which way but loose
A fistfull of dollars
Unforgiven
Bronco Billy
Space Codwboys
If you think these are the movies he put most effert toward then please reply
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »

No need to start a new topic when we have this old one to revive, and now certainly seems like a good time to revive it.  Here's my list of top ten performances by Eastwood, and I'm separating the performance from the film which is why Unforgiven isn't tops.

1 The Bridges of Madison County
2 Unforgiven
3 In the Line of Fire
4 Play Misty for Me
5 Dirty Harry
6 Escape from Alcatraz
7 Gran Torino
8 Dollars Trilogy (I'm cheating, okay)
9 Bronco Billy
10 The Beguiled
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:19:27 PM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »

1. Unforgiven
2. Gran Torino
3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
4. The Outlaw Josey Wales
5. Heartbreak Ridge
6. Dirty Harry
7. The Bridges of Madison County
8. Escape from Alcatraz
9. In the Line of Fire
10. Bronco Billy

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:01:09 AM by WeAllHaveItCominKid » Logged

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Aline

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 05:41:30 AM »

1- Honkytonk man

2- The Beguiled

3- Play Misty for me

4- Hang ´em high

5- White hunter, black heart

6- The Outlaw Josey Wales

7- The Bridges of Madison county

8- Unforgiven

9- Million dollar baby