News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: truth or false  (Read 4095 times)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 26, 2003, 10:24:45 AM »

I was reading a finnsih tv-magazine the other day and saw an small artichle about GBU.
It said that they are gonna rerealese GBU with a 14 minutes of a new material(those scenes must be the same ones that we can see on GBU-dvd).Clint and Eli Wallach have dubbed their parts but Lee Van Cleef`s part was dubbed by someone who could imitate Cleef.
Any thruth on this rumour?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 11:31:24 AM »

I heard once of a GBU remake. I hope that fell through, becuase I dont know why Hollywood would even think of remaking this movie, and if they did...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 11:46:55 AM »

I've also heard those rumors of a re-release with the additional footage (but not a remake, Nightwing). I don't know anything about the status of this rumor.
gwb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 04:40:55 PM »

Maybe the only thing they ended up doing with this was incorporating the unseen footage (in Italian) in the DVD release as an extra:

"...
DVD Features:
Production notes

Theatrical trailer(s)

14 minutes of never before seen Italian footage

Widescreen anamorphic format..."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6304698798/qid/002-3789022-1699259

« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 04:41:58 PM by gwb » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »

Could be, except I first heard the rumor long after the DVD came out ... in 1998.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 10:51:12 PM »

I'll try and find that 're-make' link again. It was many months ago so I dont know how successful I'll be. ;)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 11:02:16 PM »

Well I apologize. The article I mentioned wasnt about a remake, it was in fact about a re-issue/restoration. :-[

Here it is:

Hi Harry,

I'm a film student in Ottawa, Canada and we had the pleasure of having John Kirk (a film archivist for MGM) in our class yesterday giving us a presentation on sword-and-sandal campy movies. (Hercules, Maciste, etc..) Anyways, during the Q&A period, he told us that one of his next big projects will be a full restoration of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. He told us that Clint Eastwood has already agreed in principle to redub the extra scenes and that the Leone family has given the go-ahead. This means that the 14 minutes available only as Italian extra footage will now be put back into the film, in English. The continuity is supposed to be much more coherent with these additional scenes. Now the bad news - this project hasn't really gotten off the ground yet and he told us to expect it in at least a year. The plan as he envisions it is that it may see a small theatrical re-release and then of course a new DVD/Video event re-release. Hopefully it won't take much longer than a year.

Also, if you do get a chance to see Mr. Kirk's presentation on these campy Hercules movies, go - it's excellent. It's called Sons of Hercules and although it's a home-made project for him, he told us that someone has shown interest in putting up some money to improve it and maybe give it more exposure (i.e. television). It does a great job of showing how these films were exploitive of the male body in a somewhat funny way and how there is so much underlying homo-erotic aspects to them. There are some great interviews with the likes of Richard Harrison and Mickey Hartigay. He hopes to have more interviews added once he gets more funding and re-makes it for televison. It's currently playing at one of our film festivals but I'm not sure where he's showing it next - keep your head up for it.

Anyways, thanks for listening - I know it ain't much, so you can just call me Whisper.

The article can be found here.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 11:06:48 PM »

Now I remember, Nightwing ... thanks for finding that again.

Hmm ... since the date on the original article was September 21, 2001 ... a year and a half ago ... I'm wondering if the project ever did really "get off the ground."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2003, 10:06:14 AM »

Great news! According to the DVD Savant, this restoration has indeed been carried out, and the full film, just shy of three hours long, will be shown at New York City's Tribeca Film Festival and at Film Forum this May, then at other major U.S. cities. A DVD will undoubtedly follow, though none has been announced yet. However, "AMC will premiere the restoration uncut and without commercials (the first broadcast only) on May 10, which will be the big opportunity for most of us to see it."  8)

I'm going to close this thread now. Please post any replies in this thread in the News Forum:
Restored GBU news
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 10:34:13 AM by KC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T