News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photo thread  (Read 285506 times)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2007, 06:43:01 AM »

Thanx Lin. Yes, on certain photos, b&w seems to work out well.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #281 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »

It certainly worked for Ansel Adams! Once again, great shots Agent! And yours are superb as well, AB. Sorry I'm so late in commenting here. The tourists are back and I'm super busy. They're hating this cold weather though (20 degrees Fahrenheit Monday morning). A record for that day.

Finally able to get a few hummingbird shots. They'd be a a lot better looking photos if I had a little more patience. Little sons o'... I mean the little darlings won't sit still very long. These are Female and Male Anna's Hummingbirds which are pretty common in Arizona and California. One of the few species that reside here year round. We get lots of 'em during the Winter.

I got lucky on the last two. I think I caught him dozing. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:28:55 AM by Clint van Wallach » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:46 AM »

Very nice, CVW, especially the first two. I've always wanted to get shots of those little creatures, but I don't see too many out in these parts. Mainly just stray mutts. Maybe I'll go on a photo shoot this weekend and post 'em later.  ;D

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #283 on: January 18, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »

Aw! What pretty little birdies! Thanks, CVW!
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »

Spectacular photos CvW! Love em!

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »

Fantastic pictures CvW    I love the little bird with the purple head.   What is it?
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #286 on: January 18, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »

Thanks everyone! The bird with the purple head is a male Anna's hummingbird, named for a 19th century Italian duchess by the name of Anna De Belle Massena (OK, I looked that one up). All the birds in the photos are Anna's hummingbirds. The first three are female, the rest are male.

Every now and then a woodpecker will land on the feeder and swing on it.  If he tilts it just right the nectar will drip out so he can drink it since he can't fit his beak in the hole. The hummers go nuts and dive bomb him. It's pretty funny to watch.

I always appreciate the nice comments. Thanks again!
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »

Like to see one of the woodpecker if you ever catch him in action.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2007, 07:30:50 AM »

Link  ;)  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:32:32 AM by KC » Logged
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »

Like to see one of the woodpecker if you ever catch him in action.

I've tried but they spook pretty easy. Guess I'll have to set up the tripod and zoom in on the feeder sometime when I'm out doing yardwork. Until then we'll have to make do with this photo. The owners of that feeder probably enclosed it to make it more difficult for the woodpecker to drink from it. But as you can see, he's not giving up!

Interestingly, I downloaded this shot from a site called "Flicker." A flicker is also a type of woodpecker.

Oh, and thanks for the link, KC. That one sure brought back memories!
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »

Great pics, CvW.  Hummingbirds must be one of the fastest targets for a camera!  I loved seeing them at the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson, and remember them zipping past at high speed. 8)
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »

Thanks Lilly! I was actually at The Desert Museum this afternoon. My job takes me there quite a bit. I went in the hummingbird aviary and found a female hummer tucked away on her nest. I thought I'd post a photo of her here along with a few other critters that were out today. Incidentally, despite the name "museum" all the animals at ASDM are alive.

The other animals are: A coati (a member of the raccoon family and a recent arrival to the southwestern U.S.), A black tailed prairie dog, A Mexican grey wolf (recently reintroduced into the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico), a napping mountain lion, an albino gopher snake (harmless), the business end of a western diamondback rattlesnake, a chuckawalla, and a panhandling coyote mooching off the tourists in the parking lot of Old Tucson Studios.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:33:18 PM by Clint van Wallach » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »

CvW, I just love that picture of the snake on the thorns! Don't they prick, though? ???
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »

That plant is an Ocotillo and you bet they prick! In fact, they say everything in the desert either sticks, stings, or stinks! :) Snakes have a fairly tough skin and when you think about it they'd have to in this environment.  I once saw a photo of a snake crawling up a cholla (a verrry nasty kind of cactus) trying to get in a cactus wren's nest. They've also been found in empty Gila woodpecker's nests on Saguaros. Here is a video of a king snake's encounter with a cholla and a curve billed thrasher.
Speaking of snakes, Arizona is the rattlesnake capital of the U.S. and after years and years of treating rattlesnake bite victims, the doctors at the Arizona Poison Control Center at The University Medical Center have developed a profile of the average rattlesnake bite victim. It seems all victims are not created equal. There are four characteristics of the average victim and they are (I'm not making this up):

1. Male (surprise!)
2. Young (18 to 30)
3. They've been drinking alcohol (It's been said the the most a common phrase uttered before a rattlesnake bite is, "Hey, hold my beer. watch this...") and
4. For some reason, they have several tattoos.

In fact, the physicians at University Medical say that the average rattlesnake bite victim has what they call an elevated TTR. That's an elevated "Tattoo to Tooth Ratio." :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:23:05 PM by Clint van Wallach » Logged
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »

It snowed here last night. That doesn't happen too often...

The foreground in that last one is a bit out of focus. And yet I think it kind of adds to the photo. Mighty pretty morning here, regardless.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:58:18 PM by Clint van Wallach » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »

Nice, CVW. The blend of colors is almost pastel-like....really gorgeous. I don't know if I've seen many snow pics of deserts, if any. We got hit with a bit yesterday ourselves.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »

Snow on the desert has to be rare and those pictures are brilliant.   I especially like the last one, the slightly out of focus effect  DOES add to the photo.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

We took the dogs for a walk last Friday (the 26th) at the beach near our house. Here's a few pics: (click on them for larger photos)

We took them for a walk today at the same place and we ran into my uncle and his huskies too:

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2007, 02:08:34 AM »

Cool, lovely huskies!

Beautiful scenery, Brendan, thanks.
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

I really like those frozen branches framing the lake. Very nice! I miss the snow sometimes. I don't miss commuting in it or those fun days of fish tailing into an intersection, but in a rural setting like these, it's very beautiful.  Looks a might chilly though. Could explain the increase in Canadian license plates I've seen lately... ;) Terrific shots though, Brendan. I think I might keep a few of these handy and put 'em on the screen come July! I'll need 'em!!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T