News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KING KONG  (Read 16374 times)
focus

View Profile Email
« on: December 26, 2005, 12:19:08 AM »

Just seen the gorilla of all gorillas and it was a fine performance by Kong himself along with Naomi Watts
I was rooting for King all the way
I loved it when King took out a few of those Army Fighter pilots, you go KONG !!!!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:27:07 AM by focus » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »

Well, I saw it last week, and I'm going again tonight. I love this movie!  O0
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »

I do too, I've seen it three times.  By far one of my favorite movies of the year.   O0

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »

It's definitley made my top ten. And Jackson should secure a Best Director nod, not a win, but a nomination.
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »

And [Peter] Jackson should secure a Best Director nod.
Wanna bet?

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »

Not really, no. I'd like to see him get a nod but if he doesn't it's no big deal. You don't think he'll get a nomination?
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 07:50:35 PM »

Not really, no. I'd like to see him get a nod but if he doesn't it's no big deal. You don't think he'll get a nomination?

No, thus the offer to make a bet.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
focus

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »

King Kong for best performance by an actor at the Academy Awards in 2006
I predict Kong will win best actor Oscar
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »

King Kong for best performance by an actor at the Academy Awards in 2006
I predict Kong will win best actor Oscar

I DEFINITELY want to make a bet with you.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 09:18:12 PM »

Holden, you might make a monkey out of focus!  :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 09:20:45 PM »

I DEFINITELY want to make a bet with you.

Me too.

Wow, that was a rather odd prediction.

I could see Peter Jackson being nominated for King Kong. But, then again... I've only seen about three movies in the theater this year. It was a fun picture, and I really enjoyed it both times I've seen it. Now I've gotta wait for the DVD to come out.

I didn't think the CGI effects were always that good, though. Sometimes they seemed a little jumpy.

If not Peter Jackson for director, what other Oscar nods does King Kong look like it could receive? Naomi Watts for Best Actress?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »

I've split off the posts in this thread where Adam pulled the thread off topic by discussing Brokeback Mountain. HERE  is the new Brokeback Mountain thread.
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 10:05:48 AM »

Thank you.

Sorry for doing that, but after that first post, the discussion got kind of interesting, aso I kept it going.

Anyway, I haven't seen King Kong yet, but I plan to.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 10:29:34 AM »

King kong was a great movie, and i´m ready to take up a bet at King kong winning an oscar for best visual effects, even with movies like Revenge of the sith, Harry Potter, and Narnia taken into consideration.
My favorite part is definetly seeing Kong taking on 3 T-rex´s all at the same time.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »

*Minor Spoilers*

I liked it but I thought it to be about an hour to long.  It took entirely to long to get to skull island and once they did it turned into a 2 hour long animal killing fest, which is alright, but I found it to be a little over the top.  The special effects were phenomenal and were so good I found myself laughing out loud at the brontosaurus stampede sequence.  Jack Black did a good job playing an extension of his own personality and I did like the humor in the film, especially the " Abominal Snowman" quip.  I didn’t think Adrian Broody’s character was all that great.  Didn’t do a whole hell of a lot..  It was a very good remake but I wished Jackson would have had the “reaching into the skyscraper” scene as in the original as well as the rampage on the natives.  I thought the natives were over the top wicked and freakish but effective and some of those blood leach type things with teeth were down right nasty.  Definitely not appropriate for young children.  I thought the scenes in New York were very well done and loved the “ice skating” sequence.

All in all a fine film but could have been cut in half time wise, I mean, if you were to cut out the time some actors spent gazing up at Kong in awe it would have cut the film by 45 minutes. 

8 out of 10...
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »

i'd agree with a lot of that d'amb, except i found the first hour and a half and the last half hour to be excellent and the hour in between on kull island to be boring, i felt nothing at all for kong when he was captured, and i thought his chase of driscoll and daroow from the mountain seemed badly edited and rushed considering  we got a 15 minute bug squishing scene, one fo my favourite parts of the script was naomi watts quoting the old bob hope vaudeville song "the Curtain Falls" when she tells kong "that's all there is, there isn't anymore" and when jack black is told fay wray is busy working on a picture for RKo, plus touches like al jolsons sittin on top of the world at the beginning.

i though the effects were fantastic, the trex fight was overkill and the brontasaur stampede while good felt a little too jurassic park, my main problem was after 50 million examples of why skull island was this extraordinary other wordly place they felt obliged to throw another 50 million examples in your face, (e.g ok it's got dinosaurs so we know it's a strabgeplace, look out here's giant bugs isn't this a strange place) i felt some scenes were there only to split the kong scenes up so the audience wasn't spoilt.
overall i'd be inclined to say 7/10 i felt jakson slipped a little and if he gets the nod for this then rodriguez should get the oscar for sin city (which he won't get)

my biggest pleasure in the movie(aside from naomi watts) was the wonderful little touches of script and soundtrack like i mentioned earlier, the CG and andy sirkis's chef and kyle chandlers bruce baxter.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 03:09:27 PM »

I think the film is great.  And, I do think that Peter Jackson deserves a nod.  However I don't think he will be because of that ridiculous Lord of the Rings sweep two years ago.  Though I do think his direction in Kong is much better then his direction in Lord of the Rings.

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »

Something weird happened when I split the Brokeback Mountain posts off of this King Kong thread. KC and I were both doing the same thing at the same time, and we wound up losing a couple of posts, nothing big... just me commenting that KC might want to see King Kong if Kong had jumped onto the New York Public Library, pulled her boss out of her chair and thrown her out the window, and KC's reply to that.

The only other thing that got screwed up is that this post of Walt's wouldn't budge from the Brokeback Mountain thread. So, I deleted his post from that thread, and I'm puting it here within a quote... it's the only way I could get it out of the Brokeback Mountain thread:

Getting back to Kong  . I enjoyed it , quite a lot , but it's not a patch on the original .

I have the DVD of the original King Kong, and watched it for the first time after seeing the new version in the theater. I was really impressed with how good it was for its time... pretty good effects. Kong's smile was kinda cheesy though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:39:26 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »

Something weird happened when I split the Brokeback Mountain posts off of this King Kong thread. KC and I were both doing the same thing at the same time, and we wound up losing a couple of posts, nothing big... just me commenting that KC might want to see King Kong if Kong had jumped onto the New York Public Library, pulled her boss out of her chair and thrown her out the window, and KC's reply to that.

For the record, my reply to that was that I would FINANCE that film. ;)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 07:24:33 PM »

Bah!  I spent like 20 minutes compiling this "special effects evolution of King Kong" with info and stills from the '33, '60s cartoon, '76, and the recent version.  And then I accidentally hit the back button in IE and lost it all.  Arggh...Anyway, the new one is a good flick.  I've never seen the '76 version.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T