News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sondra Locke  (Read 7669 times)
Stockton

View Profile Email
« on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:58 AM »

What was the connection with Clint and Sondra?  Was there ever any romance between the two when not on camera?

I guess he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:28 AM »

What was the connection with Clint and Sondra?  Was there ever any romance between the two when not on camera?

Yes, Eastwood and Locke had a long and complicated relationship off-camera for many, many years, though they never married or had children together. It ended very badly in the late '80s. I'll spare you the grisly details, but if you do a Google search I'm sure you'll find lots of information - good and bad, but mostly ugly. And as Locke is the only one to have publically made allegations and written a book on the subject, the information is mostly one-sided or speculative.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
hitmbig

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:22:52 AM »

I will have to look that up. Sondra didn't exactly thrill me in his films.

Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:48:20 PM »

I will have to look that up. Sondra didn't exactly thrill me in his films.
I know this is old but I have to agree.  I think her acting was always very drab and dull (never mind annoying). Her and Clint never seemed to make an acctractive couple to me. :P

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
buzz09

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:54:35 AM »

I'm glad somebody broached the subject, as I have wondered the same thing.  It appears that Ms Locke would probably not be in many films, were it not for the benevolence of Clint Eastwood.  Her soliloquy in "Sudden Impact" when she is visiting her sister made me want to laugh.  It lacked any real impact.  She also seems to be queen of the "gang rape" sequences.  I don't know what that is all about.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:56:40 AM »

It appears that Ms Locke would probably not be in many films, were it not for the benevolence of Clint Eastwood.

Locke was nominated for an Academy Award in 1969.  8 years before her first Eastwood film. 

She also seems to be queen of the "gang rape" sequences.  I don't know what that is all about.

I assume you are refering to The Gauntlet, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Sudden Impact?

I'd ask the director, not the actress... 

WKC.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 07:16:04 AM by wkc » Logged

Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »

WKC, what do you think of her acting in Clints films? Do you think she would have been casted if there wasn't a relationship there?

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 07:33:48 AM »

WKC, what do you think of her acting in Clints films? Do you think she would have been casted if there wasn't a relationship there?

Hi Canadian Lady,

Several films which feature Locke are amongst my favourite Eastwood films:

The Outlaw Josey Wales, the Which Way films, Bronco Billy.  Even the less than universally popular The Gauntlet is a film I revisit from time to time.

I think she shines in  The Gauntlet, and really makes the film better than it might otherwise have been.

Her performances in the other BETTER films I mentioned above...       Not particularly memorable, but they all WORK within the framework of the films, and that is what it is all about.

Would Eastwood have cast her had there not been a relationship?  I don't know the story of their relationship in great detail, but I think she was cast in The Outlaw Josey Wales before their affair started.  As for the other films, maybe one more based on the success of Josey Wales, after that, probably not.  Eastwood recasts his male support actors very frequently, but not his female supports.

WKC.

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »

I hate to admit it, but Sondra looks quite smoking in that pic.
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

I think she shines inĀ  The Gauntlet, and really makes the film better than it might otherwise have been.
Hi wkc.  I actually haven't seen The Gauntlet so I guess I should check it out before I start to judge her too much eh!

Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:20:10 AM »

sorry- having a little trouble with the quote button! :-[

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »

Canadian Lady, for help with the quote button, check out this thread:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3476.0

The main thing to watch in the text of your reply is that the quote tag that looks like this [ quote]  (without the space after the opening bracket, and with the username and time of the post if you're quoting someone else's post) comes BEFORE the material you are quoting, and the tag that looks like this [ /quote] (again without the space, but WITH the diagonal slash) comes AT THE END of the material you are quoting. Add any comments of your own AFTER that final tag, and you should be OK.

If you click the "modify" button above any of your own posts, you can edit them. When you do, you'll see the tags, and maybe you can figure out where you went wrong. Good luck!
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

Thanks KC :)
CL

elvismovieguide

Come Sundown, Come Hell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 11:45:18 AM »

What I have heard and read, Eastwood is good guy. I don't think that what Locke says is true. And after all I don't even care - I like Clint's movies, that's it.  ;)
clyde108

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »

they were married for a few years, they then split, she took him for millions and well i don't konw what he saw in her in the first place...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »

they were married for a few years, they then split, she took him for millions and well i don't konw what he saw in her in the first place...

Clint and Sondra were never married. In fact, Sondra was already married and stayed married throughout her entire affair with Clint.
clyde108

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 09:26:30 AM »

o ok, i would appear to be wrong thank you for that fact.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T