News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pale Rider question  (Read 11293 times)
fadeaway

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: February 28, 2003, 09:35:52 PM »

In Pale Rider, does the Preacher have sex with the woman, Sara?  There is a scene that seems to indicate that they do get it on:

Sara visits the Preacher in his little hut the night before the big showdown.  She tells him that she could never be with someone who will leave her and that she will marry the good miner, Hall.

A voice calls out in the distance: "Preeeeaaaacheeer..."

Sara: "Who was that?"

Preacher: "A voice from the past."
Preacher: "Sara, close the door."

She shuts the door and goes to him, presumably for an embrace.  The scene shifts to outside, where the light in the hut's window is extinguished while romantic music plays in the background.

Now, if they did do it, and I believe that they did, why would the Preacher let this happen?  First of all, if he's supposed to be a man of God, then wouldn't having sex outside of marriage be a sin?  In an earlier conversation with the girl, he DID say something along those lines.  Secondly, if he respects the miner Hall, whom he constantly refers to as a "good man" and his friend, then why would he go and sleep with his woman?

This part of Pale Rider has always bugged me.  I can't figure out why they would include a situation like this.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 10:31:25 PM »

well he was supposed to be a preacher but is a preacher allowed to kill, he did kill people in the end.if he can kill he most certainly can have sex. but i think the lady certainly had a soft corner for the preacher.

rowdyyates
fadeaway

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 09:43:17 AM »

But I would think that if he really respected his friend Hall, he wouldn't have slept with the woman he loved.
bigdai

"Keep it secret, keep it safe."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 01:40:42 PM »

Lust conquers all! :-*

I've finally got a new job! Hoorah!!!
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 03:28:31 AM »

i am sure it was for a good  cause.

rowdyyates
waxinazz

Well, Well if it isn't the smoker!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 02:51:29 PM »

Just because he is a preacher. He can protect him and loved ones.
cougar5498

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:42:34 PM »

this is a very complex scene.

i think that since we see the preacher turn in his collar for his guns (which is a great scene by the way), and he refers to being a "preacher" as the past......he's no longer a man of God as the earlier poster put it, well, not as committed anyway.

and showing that the preacher gives in to sarah's sexual advancements shows the "human" side of the preacher.....and that he's no longer a preacher.  the good guy turned violent theme reminds me of "unforgiven."

true enough, you could say the preacher backstabbed hull, as did sarah.  but again, keep in mind he's no longer a preacher......he seems to have returned to an earlier, more violent, sinful lifestyle.
hve

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »

He sleeps with her because they love each other and they both want to remember each other.  She kisses him with the comment that she doesn't want to wonder what it would have been like.  He, being who he is, knows it is impossible between them. They both know it would never work out between them but love each other all the same.  They know they will never see each other again.  No one is cheating on anyone.   She will marry Hull because he loves her & her daughter and will be a stable husband, father, & provider.   The "Preacher", aka Death, goes off on his pale horse to ride elsewhere
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T