News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 280 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS, POINTLESS thread  (Read 1156949 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5140 on: August 22, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5141 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48:22 AM »

Doug, if you feel someone is being abusive in PMs (whether they've posted on the Board or not), you can always report it to the Mods. We'll see that the offender is banned.  :police:   :knuppel2:

(Love to have a chance to use those smilies!)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5142 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

No, it wasn't abusive, just silly and pointless, and not worth my time to reply back.

You gotta love this:

But I think that you undervalue a number of Eastwood's films .... perhaps because your thought process is more deductive than inductive and you don't appreciate the irony inherent in some of them. I'll attempt to address those points down the line.

Gee, I can hardly wait.  ::)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5143 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

^^^ :2funny:
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5144 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »

I was about to hand over a one-dollar bill today when I noticed it had a message on it. I paid with a different bill, then went home and did what the message said:

"Track this bill at www.wheresgeorge.com."

Interesting site. I was apparently the first to track the bill since it entered the project's database a few months ago and 21 miles away. I will hasten to spend it and hope to follow its future progress.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5145 on: November 03, 2013, 11:56:03 PM »

That looks fun. It will show how money travels around the country. It can be quite amazing to discover where a bank note can turn up.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5146 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »

It has been a little while since I have been here. I do not understand the random colors on words throughout the board but they sure are pretty. O0

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5147 on: November 13, 2013, 11:55:19 PM »

Welcome back RE. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5148 on: November 14, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »

Great to see you again RE.  :)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5149 on: December 09, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »

Anyone know how you type the little copyright symbol on a PC keyboard. You know, the "C" with a circle around it?

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5150 on: December 09, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »

Anyone know how you type the little copyright symbol on a PC keyboard. You know, the "C" with a circle around it?

©

It's ok. Mr. Google told me.

It's Alt 0169.

:)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5151 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

You can also download a favorite little helper program of mine ...

ALLCHARS

Then you can type all sorts of odd characters like that with just a couple of easy-to-remember shortcuts.

In this case, if you have ALLCHARS, you hit and release CTRL, then "c" and "o." (C in a circle, get it?)

©
Tang Lung

View Profile Email
« Reply #5152 on: December 26, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eXA1BVoSg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUReABscl9mYkIDkoPYkvAIA

Dec 25th , 1993 : Batman MoP premiere.......just as good as live action films :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjNxBBF_J8

Dec 26th , 1973 : "Chinese Hercules" and "Hapkido" US premieres........
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5153 on: December 31, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »

If any of you were wondering what the life of a cataloger is like ...

I've been following my work e-mail from home for a few days as I took some time off at year's end. And I see that people on one of the lists I subscribe to have been deeply engaged in a lively discussion of "Re-abbreviating abbreviations in series captions." Here's the first post:

I've got a question about substituting one abbreviation for another in the numbering captions in series access points.

AACR2 Appendix B.5 allowed us to substitute the prescribed abbreviation (e.g., "v.") for another abbreviation present in a series statement (e.g., "vol.").  The accompanying LCRI makes clear that this practice extended to a series tracing as well.

I don't see any such provision in RDA.  RDA B.5.5 and 24.6.1.3, as I interpret them, say that we can use abbreviations found in the list in B.7 when recording series numbering in an access point (though B.4 appears to say we cannot use those abbreviations in transcribing the series statement).  But there is nothing mentioned about substituting the B.7-prescribed abbreviation for another form of abbreviation.  Hence my impression is that if "vol. 1" appears on the piece, we say "vol. 1" in both the 490 and the 830.

Is this the same as others' impressions?

Eight replies so far ...  :buck2:
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5154 on: December 31, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »

On the other hand, my career as a cataloger also brings me joys like this:

This lovely armorial stamp was on the binding of a volume I was given to catalog for the Rare Books Division of the New York Public Library. The volume contained three short works in French, all published around 1780. The oval shields suggested that the volume's owner was a woman, and the imperially crowned double-headed eagles suggested someone of high status. With the help of a website devoted to identifying such things, I was able to place the arms as those of Empress Maria Feodorovna (née Sophie Dorothea of Württemberg), wife of Paul I, Emperor of Russia. She was the daughter-in-law of Catherine the Great and the mother of two future Tsars, Alexander I and Nicolas I. The Russian Imperial arms are displayed in the central of the three small shields, with, on the right, the arms of the dukes of Württemberg (Maria Feodorovna's paternal family), and, on the left, the arms of the dukes of Holstein-Gottorp (her husband's paternal family).

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5155 on: December 31, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »

No, it wasn't abusive, just silly and pointless, and not worth my time to reply back.

You gotta love this:
But I think that you undervalue a number of Eastwood's films .... perhaps because your thought process is more deductive than inductive and you don't appreciate the irony inherent in some of them. I'll attempt to address those points down the line.

Gee, I can hardly wait.  ::)
I wonder if he ever got back with Doug! :D ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5156 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »

^^^
 :2funny:
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5157 on: February 28, 2014, 04:16:12 AM »

Is it quiet around here? Seems that way, even this thread hasn't been written on in over a month.

I'm stopping by to say hi. I might be the happiest I've been in a long time. I opened my own beauty salon/nail studio and been here on my own for a month now. Oh, how even work can make you so happy even though I feel busy all the time!  8) :idiot2:  ;D

Between my own clients, I now also train new nails stylists and nail art etc for the existing ones.

I now have Tapatalk on my phone, so sometimes I just come here and read things but posting is always somehow difficult.

As big of an Eastwood fan as always though  ;)

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5158 on: February 28, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

It's great to hear from you, Satu! Congrats on the salon, I wish I could stop by and get beautiful! 8)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5159 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

It's great to hear from you, Satu! Congrats on the salon, I wish I could stop by and get beautiful! 8)

That goes for me too, Satu.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 280 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T