News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My friend Mike  (Read 2206 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »

I'd like to share something with my friends here on "The Board".  A couple of weeks ago, I awoke early with thoughts of an old school friend that passed away 10 years ago this month.  I was unable to fall back asleep, so I went downstairs to the kitchen and wrote down my thoughts. 

The reason I'm sharing them here is because Mike introduced me to Clint Eastwood movies.  We saw Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can together and loved 'em.  He also loved Dirty Harry and the Leone westerns.  So, he's partially responsible for my becoming a big Clint Eastwood fan. 

Although it is sad he's no longer here, I chose a "grin" message icon because of his personality.  You'll understand better as you read on.

Here's what I wrote:

Mike and I became friends one summer long ago when he convinced me to take over his paper route while he went away.  We’d known each other from school and living in the same neighborhood, but my helping him is what began our friendship.  We were like brothers, it seemed, until we reached our junior year in high school when life took us in different directions.

I had a lot of fun with Mike, whether we were camping out in his yard, sneaking into movies at Granada Theatre in Malden Square, skipping school, pulling “all-nighters”, going to George’s Island or going on one of many trips with him, his dad and sister.  I always felt welcome at his home, too.  I enjoyed our crossing paths in subsequent years.

What I treasure most and will always carry with me is Mike’s ability to laugh and desire to make others do the same; I like to think it’s something I picked up from him.  He loved to tell jokes, act funny and pull pranks on you.

God bless you, Mike.  I miss you and love you.

-Brian Cooper, March 2006
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:52:59 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »

Jed, I'm sure Mike would smile to think of you taking the time to write this, and to post it here on the board.

He was obviously a special friend, and you'll always have those happy memories. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:13:42 PM by Lilly » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:29:32 PM »

Thanks, Lilly.  :)

“Eyuh.”
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »

Rest in peace Mike.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »

Thanks for sharing that with us, Jed. It sounds like he was a great person and friend.  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 11:26:05 AM »

I just read your post Jed.    It is good to remember special people who have brought so much to our lives and to share your thoughts with us is a way of keeping his memory alive.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:36:54 PM »

Thanks Lilly, Conan, Matt & Lin.  Mike was a big Led Zeppelin fan and I usually think of him while listening to them.  My wife, her brother & I watched The Eiger Sanction last night and again I thought of Mike.  I remember him showing me this movie when it aired on t.v.  Even at that young age we got a kick out of seeing Eastwood in a non-Dirty Harry or western role.

“Eyuh.”
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:03:30 AM »

May he rest in peace.

Good friends really are irreplaceable.  :)

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T