News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: X MEN III anyone seen it?  (Read 4713 times)
mary mary

View Profile Email
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »

I just thought I'd hop along to the flix today to see
X MEN III, well, the British Bank Holiday was its usual wet 'n' horrible day :(

I came out of it feeling quite good and refreshed, amazing what 105 mins of smash em up fun can do to brighten up your day.

Enjoyable little movie actually. :)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »

I think I'm gonna go see it this week.
I've seen the other two, so I gotta see this one since it's a trilogy. I wanna know how it ends  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:25 AM »

I wanna know how it ends ;)

A treat for the eyes and loudly;D
Enjoy it AB.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:08:46 AM »

Seen it , enjoyed it , bought the figures . For my son of course .
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 05:21:24 PM »

By now, just about everyone on the board who have read some of my posts should have some inkling that i´m a comic book nerd  ::), so i´ll write my general meaning and thought of the film in the top, and a lot of nerdy knowledge/spoilers at the end. I´ll warn you in due time when it gets spoily/nerdy...

The movie as a whole :
While i still think that no. 2 is the better in the entire "trilogy" ::)  i think that X-Men was a pretty decent action flick. Hallle Berry is for once believable as Storm, and Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) Patrick Steward (Xavier) and Ian McKellan (Magneto) Famke Jansen (Jean Grey) got their character nailed spot on (as they have done in all movies. Magneto has gotten a darker, more sinister side about spending lives of devoted followers, but what´s to be expected when he´s had his schemes foiled in the two other movies?
Kelsey Grammar (Beast ) is spot on as well. I was sad to see that nightcrawler from no. 2 was missing but the X-men universe is so biiig that i can accept it , if they want to show more mutants on the expense of ohters.
Juggernaut (Vinnie Jones) is spot on as well. (yes, he is that stupid in the comics as well) and the same goes for Jamie Madroxx (played by  whats-his-name)
I gladly (but not highly) recommend it to fans of comics turned movies, but the best movie of the year is so far is still V for Vendetta, due to more than a few bumbles in the movie, but i´ll get to that in the nerdy part of my post.
x-MEN 2 IS STILL THE BEST, BUT I GUESS THAT 3 DIRECTORS ON THE SAME MOVIE IS SOMEWHAT OF A PROBLEM...

NERDY AND SPOILER PART

The story : The whole Angel/father-looking for-cure plot is superficial and shallow, all angel does is saving his father who found the cure for mutation during the final fight. X men 3 has received a lot of fan bashing for this, and this is  one thing i can agree on.

Changing of characters : what has been changed about the comic book characters, is beneath me. They have taken "small" characters, and "geared" them up.
In the comic, Callisto is the leader of an underground movement of mutants that live in the sewers called the morlocks. Morlocks is a term from H.G. Wells book The time maschine, and  seeing as hollywood probably don't  want to pay Wells idiotic siblings any royalties (especially for the  F*** up of a classic a few years back with the movie of the same name) that´s understandable. In the comic Callisto has an eye patch and a 80ies spiky hair and no super speed. For all the fans who bang about it, i´ll just say GET ON WITH THE PROGRAM! Bryan Singer reinvented the genre by bringing old story lines up to date, which includes new outfits, hence the remark in x-men 1 when cyclops says
what would you prefer, yellow spandex
to wolverine. (wolverine wears a yellow/black striped spandex in the comics) ::)  and the other directors try to stay true to his vision.

The mutant with the bones shooting out from his arms who fights wolverine in the woods,  is in the comis a small teenage girl named Marrow. An insignificant character that should be dumped at the bottom of the ocean. i got no problem with the changing (and death) of that character.

The Phoenix story : While phoenix doesn't kill cyclops  ::)in the original story, the powered-down phoenix is acceptable. in the original story, the phoenix hungers for power and essence, so she flies out into the universe, to another galaxy, and drains the power form a sun, causing a supernova that destroys the other galaxy  ::) ??? so guess why i consider the story acceptable (comic book style, that is...) that sort of powermonging is just laughable, and is only used to show her like a bad guy...

Trilogy Schmrilogy...
Nothing happened in the movie that cant be undone for a fourth installment of the x-men saga (not counting the up comming wolverine movie) All the mutants is going to get their powers back, mystique is probably going to turn into a good guy (as she does in the comic) Xavier sends his essence into another body, as he mentions is doable in the start of the movie (that´s hollywoods way of saying that we´ll get another (cheaper) actor to play Xavier in the future.
Magneto might turn into a good guy as well, and come looking for a job at the school (as he has done in the comic as well ::)) Finally, Jean Grey is the character that has died/resurrected most times in the entire x-men universe, and you don't get to see cyclops´s body, so he may be out there somewhere. If he has in fact died, a possible future mutant villain called Apocalypse (think of him as a mix of Darth Vader and Imhotep from the mummy movies) has certain interests in the Scott summers/jean grey relationship.
I wont get into details about that character. My brain hurts, just to think about all that idiocy that´s behind him...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:47:48 PM by dane with no name » Logged
mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »

Excellent read Dane!  O0
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »

x-MEN 2 IS STILL THE BEST, BUT I GUESS THAT 3 DIRECTORS ON THE SAME MOVIE IS SOMEWHAT OF A PROBLEM...

No, it's because Brett Ratner directed it.  ;)
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 06:17:14 AM »

No, it's because Brett Ratner directed it.   
Touché, Brendan  ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:38:47 PM »

Took my son to see it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. About as much fun as this kind of thing gets to be. A mix of great effects, interesting characters and storyline and good acting... (apart from Vinnie Jones)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:54:27 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »

I actually thought that Vinnie Jones nailed the role of a brainless, stupid, one-cyllable-speaking, musclebrainy brute spot on  ;D And to think that the Juggernaut is actually  Xaviers half brother in the comic makes it all the more hillarious  :D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:05 PM »

Saw it yesterday.
Enjoyed it, but weakest of the trilogy IMO.

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:04 PM »

I hope all of you sat through the whole of the end credits. I was told today that there is something at the very end. Didn't ask what it was.

I won't be seeing the film, I wasn't keen on the first one and am a fan of the original comics. I also won't see anything that has Vinnie Jones in it.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »

;D ;D ;D

I didn't stay till the very end.. Gant Jr needed to visit the mens room. Did anyone else see anything at the end ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »

Nope. I had to do the same as Gant Jr.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »

Do you mean the scene with the chess piece?  That was right before the credits rolled.

The best X-Men movie was part 2.  I thought the first one and this one were just decent action flicks, whereas part 2 was a good all-around movie.  The subplot drama in part 3 was VERY cliche ridden, and the dialogue was mega-cheese.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 09:19:45 PM by Conan » Logged

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 07:05:03 AM »

and the dialogue was mega-cheese.
Agree, but at least the one-liners were better.

I still cringe when i hear storm say (in X-men 1)

Do you know what happends to a toad when it´s struck by lightning? (pauses) The same thing that happends to everybody else

AAAGGHH AAAGGHH AGGHH AGGHH AAAGGGHHH !!!!!!    :D
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »

I also went to see X-Men III since the first two had been quite good...and was hugely disappointed  :(

Wolverine was cool as ever but the rest of the film sucked.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

Right. I do believe that Jackman/Wolverine saved this movie from mediocrity.

And come to think of it, nothing really exciting happens until the last 30 minutes.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »

I hated this movie. HATED IT!

There were too many cliched parts and too many times where Ratner took the easy path rather then actually taking route that would involve characters doing something interesting. My favourite bad moment was when Professor X, Storm and Wolverine head to Jean Grey's house and Magneto steps in front of them.

Pro. X: I'll go in and talk to her....

Magneto: Not so fast Charles!

Wolverine: Magneto! What are you doing here?

Magneto: Ah.... I think this is the part of the movie where I come in and help further this attempt at a story along. Hold on... SCRIPT! (flips through pages) Yeah.... yeah, this is the part. I'm here to have a really unessacary fight scene, a big death and then take Jean with me. I'm surprised you guys didn't see me here since we were all STANDING OUT FRONT OF THE HOUSE! And Charles can read minds and sense mutants! But I digress....

Another favourite was when Beast arrived at the Worthington Labrotories.

Beast: It's so hard to find this place.

IT'S ALCATRAZ ISLAND! The EASIEST place to find in San Francisco.

It seemed like Ratner took way to many shortcuts but with the rushed production and the countless number of pointless mutants (Angel, Shadowcat, Juggernaut etc.) it was pretty much a given that this thing would be a let down.

Such a waste. And the Magneto ending (where he plays chess) and the part after the credits basically say that the two biggest events of the movie mean nothing.

2 out of 10.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 08:06:57 PM by Brendan » Logged
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »

Magneto: Ah.... I think this is the part of the movie where I come in and help further this attempt at a story along. Hold on... SCRIPT! (flips through pages) Yeah.... yeah, this is the part. I'm here to have a really unessacary fight scene, a big death and then take Jean with me. I'm surprised you guys didn't see me here since we were all STANDING OUT FRONT OF THE HOUSE! And Charles can read minds and sense mutants! But I digress....

;D
Oh come on Brendan. Everyone wear black leather, latex, and capes in quiet american suburbs, everyone knows that. That was why they werent spotted. ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T