News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Harry movie?  (Read 92086 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »

I would prefer to say that The Dead Pool is simply not as good as all the other Harry movies.....

Well said!  I agree.  ;)

“Eyuh.”
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2004, 02:11:25 AM »

Dirty Harry first of course then as a close second Magnun Force and oh! so close behind Sudden Impact.
Dead Pool just doesn't seem to fit as a 'Harry' movie.  Yes Clint does look bored perhaps he felt he had played Harry long enough and new things were on his mind!
Lin 8)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2004, 11:42:17 AM »

PLUS we musn't forget we owe The Dead Pool the famous "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one" and "Oh you can set yourself into a bonfire, we'll break out the marshmallows and the weenies, but you ain't gonna be on News at 11" lines, which remain, to me,  some of DH's best quotes  ;D ... and lots of other good ones -I couldn't list them all. Lots of good scenes too, like when Harry get his 15 minutes or when he beats his "bodyguards" , or the last scene ("he's hanging out back there") ;)

AND the DP also revealed two of today's greatest actors, Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey.

So, yeah, it's true that this DH was different, but I wouldn't call it "bad" or "worst" though.

Even though it wasn't my favorite DH, I think it is an interesting sequel. In the DP, Harry is getting older, and you really feel it ... you feel he has kinda lost hope and faith in the system, and especially in the power of the police force to solve crime. He is even more desillusionned and tired than when we first saw him in DH, and maybe it was too obvious, and may have sort of influenced the rythm of the movie. I don't know ...  ???

The thing is that after 17 years, the DH franchise had been enough exploited -this fact was I think obvious too in DP ... you really feel it is the end-, a sign that it was time to move on ... both for Clint and for the audience ( :'()
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 01:11:46 PM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »

I remember being happy upon learning another Dirty Harry movie was coming in 1988.  I was glad to have the opportunity to see another one on the big screen in my lifetime (my second, for I was too young for the first 3).  I wasn't disappointed with it when I first saw it, either.  I even saw it a second time.  It's for these reasons the movie warrants a place in my collection with all of Clint's other movies.  Of course, there'll be endless comparisons to the original and other sequels-that's the nature of us fans.  I don't hate The Dead Pool, but it's nowhere near one of my favorites, of the DH series or Clint's movies in general.  Yeah, there's a handful of good scenes and a plethora of good quotes, I agree.  Still, when comparing it to the rest of the series it looks like a 'walkthrough' on Clint's part, regardless of Neeson's & Carrey's presence.  They had a few years yet before their stars shone, anyway.  Just imagine Clint working with the two of them now.   That would be interesting to say the least.

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2004, 04:06:22 PM »

The Dead Pool is my least favorite of the Harry series, but I've always liked the movie. In fact, I can remember when I first joined here, I was a little surprised that so many people seemed to completely dismiss the movie. At least it seemed that way. It certainly isn't a favorite around here, but it's not a fave of mine either.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 04:07:30 PM by Christopher » Logged
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2004, 09:39:26 PM »

The Dead Pool is my least favorite of the Harry series, but I've always liked the movie. In fact, I can remember when I first joined here, I was a little surprised that so many people seemed to completely dismiss the movie. At least it seemed that way. It certainly isn't a favorite around here, but it's not a fave of mine either.

The Dead Pool had some nice moments, but lacked that vital punch that the others had.  Almost all the characters except Harry seemed fairly uninteresting, but at least  the ending suggests that maybe Harry finally found his Lady :).

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2004, 12:15:46 PM »

it was a interesting movie - i think the villian should have been different - there wasn't enough suspense

england -  its flag the St George flag
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2004, 01:05:11 PM »

at least  the ending suggests that maybe Harry finally found his Lady :).
Yeah I hadn't think about that  :D ... at least that's a rather happy end ;D ... who knows, he could've died  :'(

...BUT  though possible, this hypothesis doesn't seem probable to me  ;), Harry was really too tough, unstoppable and smart to get killed  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 01:08:24 PM by Americanbeauty » Logged

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2004, 09:54:17 PM »

Yeah I hadn't think about that  :D ... at least that's a rather happy end ;D

That's what I thought too... A nice way to finish the story of Harry's life :D.

WKC.

shelley

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2005, 01:31:47 PM »

My favorite Dirty Harry movie is the first one. I have watched it about  23 years ago and I think there´s not a policial so good as Dirty Harry. The direction of Don Siegel is terrific and Clint´s performance is great.
Tommygun

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2005, 12:00:26 PM »

I saw "The Dead Pool" when it came out, and I recall being a little disappointed. Seemed to me Clint was just going through his paces, as if he'd gotten tired of the whole thing. But I recently bought the DVD and gave it a second look, and was surprised to find that the film was actually much better than I had remembered. And it had plenty of those hilarious "Harryisms" we all love. I think the film's weakness was its somewhat contrived plot. Obsessive horror film fanatics can be a little nutty sometimes (I know one or two), but most of them are really nice people, and they hardly make for compelling villains. The bad guy in "Dead Pool" wasn't scary so much as just kind of sad and pathetic. Hardly a villain worthy of Dirty Harry. And the whole "dead pool" concept was a little weak. From a dramatic standpoint, I think it was difficult for audiences to become emotionally invested in a story about somebody who's going around bumping off a bunch of self-absorbed celebrities (Harry excluded, of course.) Still, it wasn't a bad film, thanks to Eastwood. He's one of those actors who's capable of elevating the material simply by his presence.

Favorite Harry movie, of course, is the original. It was darker and grittier, and Harry's character was more ferocious than in any of the sequels. I think the idea was that if Siegel was going to have an antagonist as nasty as Scorpio, he wanted a protagonist who was just as brutal. This is made clear in one of the original trailers on the "Dirty Harry" DVD, in which the voiceover says "This is about two killers. The one with the badge is Harry."

The Kezar stadim scene is another example. Harry hollers "Stop!", at which point Scorpio stops and holds up his hands in surrender. So Harry shoots him anyway!
Not only that, but he then grinds Scorpio's shattered leg under his heel. There were no scenes like that in any of the subsequent Harry films; I think it would be too politically incorrect to do something like that today.

Another politically-incorrect moment takes place near the end of the film, when Scorpio crashes the bus. When Harry scrambles to his feet, he doesn't give a second glance at the bus; instead of checking to see if the kids are okay, he takes off after Scorpio! I've always found that darkly amusing. You'd never see a cop/hero doing that today. But then, Harry really was a kind of anti-hero. He didn't care about the bawling kids, he just wanted to get Scorpio. I  think that coldheartedness was one of the things that made Harry's character so interesting--and so different from any other movie cop...
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »

Still, it wasn't a bad film, thanks to Eastwood. He's one of those actors who's capable of elevating the material simply by his presence.
I agree, he makes bad movies totally watchable  8)
He's got this little something that makes THE big difference on screen.

The Kezar stadium scene is another example. Harry hollers "Stop!", at which point Scorpio stops and holds up his hands in surrender. So Harry shoots him anyway!
Not only that, but he then grinds Scorpio's shattered leg under his heel. There were no scenes like that in any of the subsequent Harry films; I think it would be too politically incorrect to do something like that today.
This is exactly what makes Dirty Harry a great film ... at that time it was so controversial, this is what attracted people and turned it into a classic.
There has been so much talk about this movie ... let's face it, people don't talk about bad movies. What would they have to say ?

It is this "political incorrectness" that made the movie successful.
Even though something that is "politically incorrect" is, by definition, "not right", it's a shame they don't make movies like that anymore ... at least we would have something to talk about  8)

Another politically-incorrect moment takes place near the end of the film, when Scorpio crashes the bus. When Harry scrambles to his feet, he doesn't give a second glance at the bus; instead of checking to see if the kids are okay, he takes off after Scorpio! I've always found that darkly amusing. You'd never see a cop/hero doing that today. But then, Harry really was a kind of anti-hero. He didn't care about the bawling kids, he just wanted to get Scorpio. I  think that coldheartedness was one of the things that made Harry's character so interesting--and so different from any other movie cop...
I had never really paid attention to that until you mentionned this scene.
Thanks  :)

One word to say it all: different.
This movie was a pioneer.

No Die Hard or Lethal Weapon without our good ol' Harry  ;D
Actors like Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson owe him a lot  ^-^

Mitchellgant

R.U. going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2005, 11:51:15 AM »

1) Dirty Harry.
2) The Enforcer.
3) Dead Pool.

Magnum Force is good but not what I really thought it as a "real" Dirty Harry.
Not much a fan of Sudden Impact though I do like it.

Next time, let's keep this an all British operation hmm?
bito

Robert & Francesca

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2005, 02:57:43 AM »

Dirty Harry
Dead Pool
The Enforcer
Magnum Force
Sudden Impact

You'll never walk alone
LFC Forever
RODDIE

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »

It's the first one for me. The first time I saw "Dirty Harry"was the first time I had seen a film played on a video recorder about 25 years ago. It was an absolute mind blower to watch a film like that as a 13 year old.
Talk about an all-time top ten movie baddie in Scorpio, the soundtrack, direction, the dozens of brilliant lines ("'cos he looks too damn good, that's why" through gritted teeth) and, of course, The Man.
How cool does Clint look when he is following Andy Robinson from the playpark to the strip joints?
One could go on and on and on...
GuardianAngel

Email
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2005, 08:59:09 AM »

One word to say it all: different.
This movie was a pioneer.

No Die Hard or Lethal Weapon without our good ol' Harry  ;D
Actors like Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson owe him a lot  ^-^

I agree there... good point
stubird

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2005, 02:17:47 PM »

Here's my list:

1.  The Enforcer
2.  Dirty Harry
3.  Sudden Impact
4.  Magnum Force
5.  Dead Pool (I could have done without this one)
Jaffe

Usual?

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »

Dirty Harry is naturally the best of the lot! I like Magnum Force also, it´s got some of the greatest moments in the series. The whole finale in the docks is great. The shot that always comes to mind is Hal Holbrook holding his gun out the window of the car in wide angle, saying: "You´re a killer, Harry. A maniac", and then driving to his death.  8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 03:59:25 PM by Jaffe » Logged

"Usual." "Usual lunch, or usual dinner?" "What difference does it make?" "Not much."
themanwithaname

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »

for a weird reson my favorte  is magnum force and in my opinon ties, with the original
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2005, 09:52:20 PM »

I was waiting to post in this thread until I'd seen The Dead Pool, but that'll probably be a while, so I'll just rate the four I've seen.

Sudden Impact
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force = The Enforcer.

:o Sudden Impact first!  ;D

Note, these are my personal favourites, not what I think is the overall best film.  If I was picking the best film it would have to be Dirty Harry, for its originality, its contemporary significance, good villian, and other reasons.

Also, I might change with further viewings, as I haven't watched them much.  I can't separate the last two, because I like and dislike different aspects of each.  I like the bad cop theme of Magnum Force, but I found some of the story tedious, and never got into the characters.  Tyne Daly was my favourite Harry partner in The Enforcer, and I liked individual scenes like the pony joke, the quiet sadness at the end, and the playground meeting with Ed Mustafa.  I need to watch both again to decide.

I like Dirty Harry, but it didn't blow me away the first time I watched it, like it seems to have done so many of you on the board.  I think a lot of that has to do with me first watching it in 2003, not having lived through the 70s, and maybe where I'm from too.  I like the idea, the character, some of the cinematography (which is vastly superior to Magnum Force and The Enforcer), the villain etc, and I appreciate what it did and meant in 1971.  I think I will grow more into it with more watching.  For me personally it's more of an almost cult classic, because it seems quite dated (I'm thinking of the oh-so-70s opening shot with the telescopic sight on the swimming pool).  I'm sure if I'd come to it in 1971 I'd feel different. 

Also, I only really understand the political/cultural importance because I've read about reaction to it, and know a little about the history of that time.  So I get it, but the central theme doesn't resonate with me personally.  If I felt what many people at that time felt, it'd mean much more.  But I've always felt broadly satisfied with my country's justice system.  To me, policeman are nice men with helmets whom I ask for directions when I'm lost.  ;D  Not coming from America, I am removed from the rawness of the conflict between cop and villain.  I've never looked to the police as heroes or bad guy busters.  And I've never felt significantly threatened by any element of society.

I just enjoy Sudden Impact much more.  I got into it easily, from the great nighttime aerial shot with the cool music at the beginning, right through to the contemplative ending, with that wonderful song as the credits roll over the breaking dawn.

I loved the cinematography.  I'm not just saying this because I know Clint directed it.  It really stood out for me.  The cinematography at the finale really did it for me. 8)  I have a vague memory of having seen bits of it before.  Must have been a long time ago on the TV, and it stuck in my mind because it's good.

I know people don't like the villains, and yeah they are kinda charicatured and simplistic, but I still hated them and wanted Harry to get them, and I was genuinely anxious for Jennifer Spencer.  Maybe a lot of that has to do with the nature of the crime against her.  It's so much more horrible to watch than a bank robbery or shoot out.  I couldn't help empathising with her, and during the rape scene I just wanted to smack the bastards heads in! :D

I thought Sondra Locke gave a good performance.  I watched a bit of Any Which Way You Can earlier tonight, and I think she is better suited to slightly hardened roles, like Sudden Impact or The Gauntlet.  I like AWWYC, but she is somewhat aggravating in that.

I guess in general I have a personal bias towards Eastwood's later films anyway.  And for fun I really liked the "Smith, Wesson and me" line, the elevator encounter with the baddie, ("a lot of things can happen to dog $#!t" ;D), and the phallic hot dog.

I was rather surprised that Harry let Jennifer off at the end.  Not sure where that fits into the overall "Harry morality compass", but it was interesting.  I can't help feeling sympathetic, even though I know in real life it isn't OK to take the law into one's own hands.

I know the film has its weaknesses, but they didn't bother me, and I just went along for the ride and enjoyed it.  I tried to do that with Magnum Force and The Enforcer, and even though I didn't expect them to be great films, I still got bored at times.  Sudden Impact I can watch for fun, and get properly into it. 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T