News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone Concert  (Read 2941 times)
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »

I`m moderatley surprised that nobody has mentioned Ennio Morricone in concert in Hammersmith in December. Well maybe it has been mentioned, but I`ve not noticed.  As usual!!

Are any other members going?  I`ve got my tickets for the 2nd December.  Me and the missus are making a weekend out of it.

See you there!?

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/ennio_morricone/ennio_morricone.htm

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:51:48 AM »

Thanks for posting that, davytriumph. I've moved it up here to the News forum, and you reminded me that there's a Morricone concert upcoming in New York City, too, at Radio City Music Hall, February 3rd. Find out more here:

http://www.radiocity.com/prodJsp/radiocity/RCE-eventscalendar.jsp
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »

Thanks a lot, Davy. 

Can't believe it; that's one of my dang duty weekends - just swapped as well. >:(

Hope you enjoy it though. 8)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »

I attended maestro's concert about a year ago here in Greece.A remarkable experience.I'm sure you'll also enjoy it,but I have to inform you that the program includes only two of his western themes.Jill's theme from Once upon.... and The ecstasy of gold from the GBU....

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:02:44 PM »

Anybody from this board going to the Morricone NYC concert? A few of us from the Leone Board are going to meet up before hand, we should all try and get together.

cj
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »

Don't forget, the New York concert is coming up very shortly ... In connection with it, there's going to be a salute to Morricone at the Museum of Modern Art. I'll post about the films they're screening in a separate thread. 8)

EDIT: I note that tickets are still available for the concert ... at prices ranging from $60.00 to $200.00.  :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:15:48 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »

There's a long feature about "the maestro," with an interview, in Sunday's New York Times:

The Maestro of Spaghetti Westerns Takes a Bow

In the films that established his reputation in the 1960s, the series of spaghetti westerns he scored for Mr. Leone, Mr. Morricone’s music is anything but a backdrop. It’s sometimes a conspirator, sometimes a lampoon, with tunes that are as vividly in the foreground as any of the actors’ faces. The sound of an ocarina, the humble potato-shaped ceramic flute, made his name in the 1960s in the theme for “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.”

That theme was typical Morricone: a tenacious melody put across by an unlikely, unpretty, arresting combination of instruments. “I always follow an idea,” he said, “and if an idea tells me I’ve got to use strange combinations of instruments, then I do what works.” For Mr. Morricone the plan was simple. “I wanted to differentiate three timbres — the good, the bad and the ugly,” he said. “A silver flute, sounding sweet, is the good. The ocarina is the ugly. And the bad is the voices of two men singing together, off key.

“I should not be revealing this,” he continued. “These are family secrets.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »

If you go on Youtube you can see alot of Moricone's music done in Orchestrated live performances. I used to tell people many years ago just like Eastwood that Moricone's music will someday be appreciated. His stuff is stunning. I still think 'Once Upon A Time In The West ' may be his finest moment. That score is absolutely beautiful.
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »

some of us from the Sergio Leone web board are meeting at 4PM at Virgils Texas BBQ on 152 W 45 Street, stop by & say hello, reservations are under DeStefano

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T