News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LETTERS/FLAGS: Oscar Speculation Thread  (Read 31597 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2007, 10:23:02 PM »

Another shot of Clint on the red carpet

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
clint got HOSED

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »

Wow! looks like everyone took their bitter pills. Bottom line, this was Marty's year.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:13 PM »

A few last caps ...

The shot in the lower left-hand corner shows Clint applauding Scorsese's Best Director award.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »

Not to give away any spoilers but it got so ridiculous it was comical… 

Thanks for those screen caps KC.  They are great!
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »

Wow! looks like everyone took their bitter pills. Bottom line, this was Marty's year.

Bitter?  Where?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:57 PM »

It's funny, I can seldom remember a year when the nominated films included one that was so clearly the best and yet so clearly the "least likely to succeed."

Of the others, I guess I would have preferred The Queen, though really ... it was Helen Mirren's performance that made that film. Other than that it was nothing special.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »

Well, it's safe to say we all don't agree with the Academy.  Along with Letters from Iwo JimaI felt Pan's Labyrinth was deserving of more... The little girl should have been up for best actress...
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »

You won't find any bigger Scorsese nut than me, but frankly I would have preferred he never won one than to win for something less than his best work. He made a competent and damn entertaining genre film. It's probably no worse than Silence of the Lambs and a damn sight better than Gladiator and I'd rather watch The Departed more than The English Patient or A Beautiful Mind every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But it's simply not in the same class as Letters from Iwo Jima or Unforgiven or GoodFellas or Lawrence of Arabia. It's just not. Everybody knows that, especially Marty Scorsese himself. Believe me he doesn't think The Departed is any masterwork, but he'll take the damn statue already. Hey, that's how the wheel goes 'round sometimes, I reckon. So it's official, Scorsese is now an "Oscar winning director". Yippee. Hitchcock, Kubrick and Altman just lost a cosmic friend, and in the coming decades when you have to explain it wasn't for Raging Bull but for a remake of a better Hong Kong movie, you'll have to just roll your eyes at one of the Academy's ever-increasing list of backwards moves.

I was most happy for Forest Whitaker, who most definitely deserved the award and gave the best speech of the night. It doesn't make up for his Bird snub of course, but the best man won that one tonight. My second biggest joy was for Alan Arkin, who has always been one of my very favorite actors.

Ellen was just fine. I've always liked her, and she had plenty of good moments. But Oscar host is a thankless job. The bloated production that always runs long has absolutely zero to do with the host and everything to do with spending time and money on reaction shots of animated cars, video montages for the sake of video montages, people rolling around behind a scrim and singing every one of the blasted songs, most of which are usually dull at best and shrill at worst.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:02:20 PM by Holden Pike » Logged

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2007, 11:05:42 PM »

Nice post, Holden. I guess I was happiest about the awards for Helen Mirren (though of course everyone expected it) and The Lives of Others. To think that was Henckel von Donnersmarck's first film!

Oh, and Whitaker, of course. 8)
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2007, 11:16:05 PM »

I guess I was happiest about the awards for Helen Mirren (though of course everyone expected it) and The Lives of Others. To think that was Henckel von Donnersmarck's first film!

Oh, and Whitaker, of course.

Yeah, I actually met and shook the hand of Henckel von Donnersmarck a couple weeks ago when The Lives of Others opened the Portland International Film Festival. I wished him luck at the Oscars (I guess it worked!). He does speak almost flawless English, and he made a very, very good film. I was pulling for it to beat Pan's Labyrinth (which I liked but was not ga-ga about), but I didn't think it had much of a realistic chance. I was very happy to be wrong on that one.

I adore Helen Mirren and thought hers was easily the best female performance of the year, by far, but that was the one award there was absolutely zero chance anybody else's name was going to be called. Doesn't make it any less great a thing and she had a very fine speech too, but it was a foregone conclusion.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
bwaynef

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »

I have to say I agree with Jack Black: Helen Mirren is hot!

Otherwise, this was one of the dreariest Oscar shows ever. I'm glad Scorsese won, even though Clint was more deserving this year. But if anyone but Scorsese had gotten the prize, I'm sure there would have been a backlash against the winner.

The best moment, though, was Clint and Ennio Morricone on stage together. Although the montage could have been better, and so could the choice of music. Where was "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? That is a stirring piece of music, but then everything he wrote for the Eastwood/Leone films is brilliant!
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2007, 06:26:34 AM »

Yeah, I totally agree with what Holden said about Scorcese and The Departed.  Although I have to admit, it was nice to see him win and get the award from Spielberg and friends.  Marty looked like he really enjoyed it.

Even though the Morricone tribute wasn't as smooth as it could have been, it was my favorite part of the whole show... boy, seeing Clint and Ennio together on the stage... whew!  I did find it disappointing that they did not play any music from Once Upon a Time in the West... another great Morricone soundtrack. I found this nice article about this tribute which contains the following quote:
Fittingly, as the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences bestowed an honorary Oscar on Morricone on Sunday night, it was Eastwood who did the honors. The former TV actor -- who went to Italy and reinvented himself as a movie star as Leone's taciturn "Man With No Name" -- recalled when he first heard Morricone's music for "A Fistful of Dollars," he thought, "What actor wouldn't want to ride into town with that kind of music playing behind him?"
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/reuters/20070226/1243.html;_ylt=AmrgyekXQPB7uvTLLHgaQAeXVLcF

As for the Oscars, it was great to see Helen Mirren rewarded... although Judi Dench and Kate Winslet gave amazing performances in their films as well.  I was also glad to see Forest Whitaker win the best actor award... (he should have gotten an Emmy for his role in last year's The Shield series!!!)  My biggest disappointment was that Jackie Earle Haley did not win the best supporting actor award for his great performance in Little Children (which by the way should have been nominated for best film!!). As much as I love Arkin, Haley's performance blows you away.  I was also glad to see The Lives of Others win best foreign film.

Ellen's best part was when she talked to Clint and had Spielberg take their photograph.... pretty hilarious.

Chrissie

View Profile Email
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2007, 07:00:21 AM »

It was really a great show. I was awake the whole night watching it. :)
There had been some very fantastic moments. I'm so happy that "the Live of the Other" won the Oscar.
I was really was moved to tears when Ennio Morricone entered the stage. He totaly deserved the standig ovations. And it was really great that Clint translated the thanks. It was the only choice Clint handing the Oscar to him.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »

I´ve got probably nothing new to add to this discussion but here it goes anyway:

The show itself was dulliest for ages.Ellen Degeneres got few funny moments.The part with Eastwood and Spielberg maybe being the best.

I got the feeling that Eastwood was a bit indifferent with the whole show and the awards.Like he already knew that this year`s going to be Scorcese`s.

He did good enough job presenting Ennio Morricone but that segment and the montage could`ve been better like it`s already said here.

I liked The Departed but I think like so many others as well that it was given to great director like Scorsese just because he has lost so many times in the past.Departed is not the best Scorsese film that there is.He should`ve won ages ago.Forexample Goodfellas,Raging Bull and Taxidriver.

I´ve not seen The Queen or The Last King Of Scotland but was delighted to see Mirren and Whitaker awarded.

Film`s like Pan`s Labyrinth or Babel don`t intrest me all that much but I was a bit amazed that Babel did not win in major chategories after all those numerous favorabel reviews that it has got...did Babel get any of the awards  ???

As said in a different thread I liked Eastwood`s Letters and Flags-films but was not surprised that he did not win this year.

There`s always next year...or better yet year after that  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:06:39 AM by Hemlock » Logged
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:26 AM »

I was a bit amazed that Babel did not win in major categories after all those numerous favorable reviews that it has got...did Babel get any of the awards?

Babel was nominated for seven Oscars. The only one it won was for Gustavo Santaolalla's Original Score.

In a year where the trophies were divided up all over the place, The Departed won the most with its four (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Editing). Pan's Labyrinth won three awards (Cinematography, Art Direction and Makeup). Little Miss Sunshine won two (Supporting Actor & Original Screenplay), as did Dreamgirls (Supporting Actress & Sound Mixing) and An Inconvenient Truth (Documentary Feature & Original Song). All the others were single Oscars for The Queen (Actress), The Last King of Scotland (Actor), Marie Antoinette (Costume Design), Happy Feet (Animated Feature), The Lives of Others (Foreign Language), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Visual Effects), Babel (Original Score) and Letters from Iwo Jima (Sound Editing).

I really like it when the awards are distributed more evenly. Years like '98 when Titanic won eleven or 2004 when Return of the King won eleven, they're just tedious. When the "big winner" nabs only four Oscars, that's much more interesting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:58:15 AM by Holden Pike » Logged

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »

I got the feeling that Eastwood was a bit indifferent with the whole show and the awards.Like he already knew that this year`s going to be Scorcese`s.
I agree. He was interviewed on the red carpet, and his wife did pretty much all the talking  ;D He did look like he already knew  :-\

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »

I think every one should be able to view this wonderful moment for Ennio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO-Z9Bz5j-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH1QXMj8RUA

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »

Oh, no please! Where's the mute button  :o She looks like a bowl of strawberry Jell-O  :-X
Did she move like Jell-O on springs? ;) ;D

The show was okay. There were some unnecessary montages. Ellen did a fine job.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »

Did she move like Jell-O on springs? ;) ;D
All I can say is it wasn't pretty  :-X

You can re-watch the Eastwood/Ellen photo session HERE (Ellen's Oscar blog)  :D

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »

I havn't watched the show but I thought Helen Mirren and Forest Whitikar were both deserving winners and I'd rather see  movies like Departed win than tripe like Titanic any day. Whether or not Letters deserved to win, it was still great seeing such a film nominated... I guess it's a double edged sword with some people critisizing the Oscars for becoming  a little dull over the past few years just as the acadamy has begun voting generaly  for a better class of film..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:43:31 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T