News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know..... [question about the hotel in The Eiger Sanction]  (Read 15306 times)
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »

the name of the hotel used for The Eiger Sanction? Better still, has anyone been there? :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:28:10 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »

Hi, Dr. Hemlock, and welcome to the Eastwood Web Board. I found a .pdf file in German that tells the history of the hotel or hotels that were used in the filming. I said "or hotels," because there were originally two hotels, the Hotel Bellvue and the Hotel Des Alpes; they were eventually connected and are known collectively as the Hotel Bellvue Des Alpes, or simply the Scheidegg Hotels, after the pass Kleine Scheidegg below and between the mountains Eiger and Lauberhorn where they are located. They were built in 1865 and 1896 originally and have been associated with all the attempts to climb the Eiger—successful and otherwise. Besides The Eiger Sanction, many other films have been shot in and around the hotels; the best-known filmmaker to work here besides Eastwood is probably Leni Riefenstahl.

If you know German and want to read more, here's the link:

http://www.scheidegg-hotels.ch/d/presse/berichte/B10.pdf

There's also a bit of English-language information on the site (http://www.scheidegg-hotels.ch ; press the right-hand button) but it doesn't mention The Eiger Sanction.

I've never been there, alas ...

By the way, I hope you don't mind that I edited your topic title to make it more descriptive. :)
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »

O0 :)
Thank you so much Moderator. You've made my day. I've been tryin to find that out for some time now. Been all over the place but, couldn't seem to find the correct hotel/s. My Wife & I have been thinking of going there in the next few months. Loved the movie for years even if most folk don't rate it highly. So, with a bit of luck, I'll be "tyin a rope around me" and soaking up the atmosphere. If we do manage to get there, I'll let you know what it was like. Well, brag a bit, if you know what I mean. ;)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »

Cool, Dr Hemlock; I do hope you come back and tell us all about it.  Have a good trip. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »

I thought I'd post a few pictures, just to establish the identity of the hotel beyond any doubt. First, from the hotel's website:

(This is one of the most confusing and hard-to-navigate sites I've encountered in quite a while, but if you look hard enough, you can find English-language rate and contact information as well as directions. The "press reports" are all in German or French, but some have good pictures.)

Next, some captures from the film itself:

The first view of the hotel:

One of the smaller buildings is the railroad station Kleine Scheidegg. You can see the sign "Kl. Scheidegg" on it in this view from the interior of the hotel (it's not really legible here, but check it out on a bigger screen):

In this shot, you can make out part of the sign "Bellevue" on the hotel, to the right of Clint's head:

The last view of the hotel, which is at the beginning of the film's final shot, an aerial shot that sweeps up to a panoramic view of the Eiger, over which the final credits roll:

The station has been rebuilt and enlarged since 1974, when the film was shot. There are some pictures of how it looks now on this site:
http://www.x-rail.ch/WAB/Lauterbrunnen-Kleine%20Scheidegg/Kleine%20Scheidegg.htm

Some of the shots have good views of the hotel ... like this one (click to see it larger):

Cool, Dr Hemlock; I do hope you come back and tell us all about it.  Have a good trip. :)

Ditto! Please do report back if and when you go. And bon voyage! 8)
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Hi Folks,
Well, I have completed my latest assignment and, I have to say, it was the most worthwhile trip in a long time. Call me strange and sad but, it was like going to some kind of mecca. A place I have always wanted to go to and finally, the dream has been realised. Difficulat to put into words how good it was. Honest. I would recommend to anyone, to go there and experience the whole place. Especially getting up to Kleine Scheidegg. That's where it all happened. Well, the second half of the movie. What a place. Hasn't changed in all these 30 years or so. Same furnishings, tables & chairs outside etc. Inside, the lounge is exactly the same as it was in the film. So, there I was, sitting in the same chair as CE with the same clothes (as near as I could get it) and, trying hard to find the words to quote for our little home movie. My wife, god bless her, had the task of filming her deluded, but, very happy husband, in his element and lost in the imagination of the whole scene. Photos of CE and the main cast on the walls of the lobby. Great stuff!! I could on for ages about it. But, restraint is required.
Apart from all that, the train ride to 'the top of europe' was quite something. Actually, we both felt a little dizzy up there. But, the views and amazing scenery, what can I say. Unbelievable! I tell you this, we thought the highlands of Scotland were amazing but, I have to say, pale into insignificance when you see this place.
So, all lovers of the Eiger Sanction and, outdoor life, whether it be skiing, hiking or, just, chilling out, please save the pennies and take a trip to Grindelwald (look it up). I promise, you will love it.
Bye for now.
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »

Wow, very interesting! Thanks for the review! Did you take pics? We'd love to see them!! Please!

(p.s. Thanks KC for the links and above pics!!)

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »

Cool! 8)  That's excellent, Dr Hemlock!  So glad you made it, and thanks for coming back to tell us about it. O0

Gotta agree with CL - if you have any pics you don't mind sharing it would be great to see them.  Very cool that they have maintained the hotel as it was in the movie. 8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:54 PM »

Dr. Hemlock, I'm glad you were able to realize your dream! 8) Heck, put your home movie up on YouTube ... we'd all watch! ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:22 AM »

Cool! 8)  That's excellent, Dr Hemlock!  So glad you made it, and thanks for coming back to tell us about it. O0

Gotta agree with CL - if you have any pics you don't mind sharing it would be great to see them.  Very cool that they have maintained the hotel as it was in the movie. 8)

That goes for me too. O0
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »

Thanks folks. How do I put some pics on then? I've no idea. Don't think I'll be putting any movies on the tube though. Too embarassed  :-[and, to be honest, I couldn't speak. At least, very little. Too overwhelmed. :o
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

Don't blame you, Dr Hemlock - I'd be too shy myself!  But regarding pics, it's pretty simple, you upload them from your computer to a hosting site - the free one most of us use is imageshack, then you make a post with link to the image.  Details of how to do this are in these threads:

How to post an image to the web board

imageshack 101
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9782/pic0018vk5.jpg

Hi, it's been a long long time. Can't go into the reasons but, back again anyway. I've tried the imageshack and posted this pic. It's not me, of course. But, one of 3 interesting pictures hanging on the wall of the hotel lobby. Let me know if you can access / see it. Then, I'll try the other 2. Most of my personal pics are not from inside the hotel. Just a couple of daft little movie clips. Not sure if I want to post those.  :-[
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6421/pic0019rt4.jpg

Here's another. Clint kissing a cow. Yes. that's right. 4 legged one of course.  :o
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »

:)  Thanks Dr Hemlock !  Great pics !   That's  very nice !    :D

:-*

O0

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »

Thanks for posting those, Dr. Hemlock! :)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:17 AM »

Thanks for coming back, Dr Hemlock.  That's a nice cow pic! O0
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:37 PM »

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6203/pic0017yq3.jpg

Here's the last of the 3 pics. I'm not sure but, reckon they might have been the owners of the hotel at the time. Could be completely wrong though.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1331/pic0020ly2.jpg

And, a poor pic of me standing in the lounge although, you can't see much of it.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5351/pic0021tz3.jpg

My lovely wife, enjoying a refreshment at the hotel front.

Now, if you guys are getting bored, please just say. I only have 2 short movie clips of the inside of the hotel but, don't know how to post them. I'm thinkin, well, what the heck. If I don't do it now, it will never happen.  :-[
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

By all means, post all you have! It's great to see your pictures! 8)

Could you post the movie clips on YouTube and provide a link here?
Dr Hemlock

You're limpin Ben !

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »

Here you go. I wish I had a script. A case of, lost for words.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRJ_nmoOxE

An, here's a funny. I hope.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXhcNiYmGk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:24:50 AM by Dr Hemlock » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T