News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My dad bought a gun  (Read 9886 times)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:02:52 AM »

My dad has always dreamed of buying a gun, and now he actually did it! It´s quite similar to the one Clint uses in GBU.

Some say our family is crazy. Two Eastwood-fans!  :D And they also say that some men buy motorcycles when they have their 50th birthday, but my dad bought a gun..  ;D ;D

Here´s a picture, it´s a Richards-Mason Colt, model 1860 Army.

I held it and I really wonder how they manage to hold it straight, since it´s so heavy.  ;D

My dad had to go to the police station to show the gun, and the policeman he talked to, was really impressed. He said he doesn´t see those kind of guns every day and also said it was a magnificent gun.

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »

Satu, is it for shooting, or just for looking at? :o
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:41:30 AM »

:D That's what I was wondering, too. Is your dad going to display it in your kitchen or something like that -or living room maybe?  :D

He had to go to the police to register it, didn't he? Doesn't that mean that the gun can be shot? He wouldn't have to go to the police if it was only a collectible  ???

My Grandpa has guns, rifles and machine guns from the Second World War -he made a museum actually with a ton of stuff from this period that he collected over the years, and I don't remember him going to the police ... he couldn't shoot these things, they don't work anymore (they were -what's the word?  :-\)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »

They were dis-something  ???

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »

Hey satu cool gun!

I'd like to have one like that, but it is very hard to get a gun licence these days in Australia.

WKC aka Darren.

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:07:17 PM »

KC and AB, it's a collectible I guess, but he wants to to shoot with it in a ...what's the word.. in a shooting range.

My dad has few guns (a rifle and a revolver) and he recently bought a cabinet for them. In Finland we have to keep them behind locked doors if you want to keep them in one piece. When we still lived in our previous house, dad didn't have a locked cabinet for them, so he had to split his revolver in two pieces.

He took it to the police station for a check out. He applied a licence for a certain kind of a gun and he had to take it there to show it's the kind of gun they permitted the licence for. I think... If I understood right. I don't know about the registration..

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »

philojr, have you ever applied for a licence? I was amazed how easy it was for my dad. Well, no criminal record and a clean past. But of course, different countries have different rules.   :-\

He went to this place where gunowners show their guns and some sell them, I guess that's where he came up with the final decision to buy the gun of his dreams. :D

I hope you'll get the licence some day!  O0

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »

Cool  O0

Would you like to get a license, -satu-?

That must be weird, knowing that you have this thing in a closet somewhere in your house, knowing that it can kill someone  :o
It's creepy. If I ever had a gun in my hands, I'd be too afraid to shoot myself  :D

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »

Well, actually.. I moved in with my boyfriend back in september, so the guns and me are no longer in the same house.. ;D

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »

Oh and.. I think it would be nice to shoot with it, but it was so heavy that I don't know.. I'd probably shoot my own foot..  ;D

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »

I'm glad to hear your dad has a locked cabinet! Even if there are no small children in your house, you never know, you might have visitors someday. In this country, we're always hearing about tragedies that happen when children want to play cowboys and Indians with their parents' guns ...

It's a beautiful gun, and I've always thought it would be fun to try shooting one someday, just to see what it felt like for men like Clint's characters. Like you, I'd probably have trouble holding it straight, though!

EDIT: I missed the post about how you'd moved in with your boyfriend! Well, maybe your dad will have grandchildren visiting him ... sooner than we think!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:23:38 PM by KC » Logged
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »

philojr, have you ever applied for a licence? I was amazed how easy it was for my dad. Well, no criminal record and a clean past. But of course, different countries have different rules.   :-\

He went to this place where gunowners show their guns and some sell them, I guess that's where he came up with the final decision to buy the gun of his dreams. :D

I hope you'll get the licence some day!  O0

Hi satu,

you basically have to work in an industry that requires firearms or be a member of a gun "club" here in Australia to get a licence.  I'm neither.  Don't have a big enough interest to actually join a club either.

Yes safety is a big thing, but I think as long as you keep the AMMO locked away seperate from the gun it is OK to display guns on the wall of the house etc. 

WKC aka Darren.

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 01:24:51 AM »

My dad wants to take me shooting.   :o He has already gone by himself several times, but he wants me and my boyfriend to go with him.  :D I could go and watch, but I don't know if I dare to touch the gun myself.  ::) If I'll go, I will have my mom with me, her camera with her.  ;) ;D

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 06:56:33 AM »

Make sure you wear bright colors and stay out of the line of fire! :o

Are you going to that shooting range, or out in the country somewhere?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »

If you see Quails... run! Or else cover your face!
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 12:45:10 AM »

My Grandpa has guns, rifles and machine guns from the Second World War -he made a museum actually with a ton of stuff...

Same here, though not quite a museum's worth of stuff.  The coolest thing he had was a German hunting rifle, with two shotgun barrels and a .22 on the bottom.  He sold it a few years ago.

Cool handgun Satu  8)

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »

KC, we would go to a shooting range. I really would like go and watch at least.  ::) I'll keep you posted. ;)

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »

If you do go shooting Satu , I would recommend protection for your ears as well as bright colors that KC recommended. I grew up shooting firearms and they can be quite loud when you are that close. Have fun. O0

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:48:50 AM »

I wouldn't go without protecting my ears..  ;) But thanks anyway.

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 09:47:11 AM »

I did it!  :D I did shot with my dad's gun. Pictures coming soon..  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:50:00 AM by -satu- » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T