News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jazz Documentary (Dave Brubeck)  (Read 29036 times)
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »

Looks like Clint will be an executive producer on new documentary about jazz musician Dave Brubeck.  O0

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/528075/?sc=rsln

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:17:39 AM »

Good stuff. O0  Thanks, CL.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:56:29 AM »

I look forward to anything about Dave Brubeck and if Clint is involved that makes it even better. O0
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »

That is great news. I will be looking forward to it.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
archangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »

kudos to clint for this.
Brubeck was a favourite.
But please clint, don't write any more soundtrack music.
it's embarassing.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:27:57 PM »

Thanks for posting this CL!

I'm a huge, huge Brubeck fan and Time Out is right up there with Dark Side of the Moon and Zeppelin 4 on my list.  If your not a Jazz fan, or have never been exposed to it, pick up Time Out and you will be instantly hooked...

I love Brubeck.  I remember my dad playing Time Out when I was a kid and could never get enough of Take Five.  I’m glad Clint is doing this and I would have to guess that Brubeck was one of Clint's inspirations for playing the piano. 

I'm very much looking forward to this documentary and can't wait for it to come out and SO HAPPY that Clint is the one responsible for it!

Take Five
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:35:36 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:47:05 AM »

Yeah, I love Take Five too.  Saw Brubeck in Edinburgh, and he did old favourites and new compositions, even then when he was 84.
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:39 AM »

Thanks for posting this CL!

If your not a Jazz fan, or have never been exposed to it, pick up Time Out and you will be instantly hooked...

Your welcome and I am deffinatly getting into Jazz now, I will look for this CD thanks D'Amb!!

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Joe Marquez

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »

This is great news!  As I mentioned elsewhere on this website, I saw the Dave Brubeck Quartet countless times at the Blackhawk, located on the corner of Turk and Hyde Streets in San Francisco, during the late fifties and early sixties.  The group spent a lot  of its summers there because San Francisco was home to Paul Desmond and Dave Brubeck lived (and grew up) in the East Bay.  I wish I could have seen the famous octet but I was stilll in grammar school in the late forties. 
The fact that Clint Eastwood is involved in this documentary is a great plus.  I can hardly wait.  By the way, the DVD, "Discovering Dave Brubeck" is pretty good- A nice personal glimpse into this extremely talented musician.
(I wanted to post an image but don't know how to do that yet-some photos of the group circa 1957)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:10:21 PM »

Hi, Joe, check out these two threads:

How to post an image on the Web Board

imageshack 101

They should help you figure out how to post images here. If you still have trouble, PM me or one of the other mods. We'd be happy to see your photos!  8)
mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »

I wasn't sure if any news of this new project for Clint has been posted here yet, I did have a look around and just found an odd line within another story.
Anyway, the project is going ahead, here is a link to Reuters, which contains an interview with Clint and his Jazz roots etc.
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2221032120071004?pageNumber=1

mary
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 05:04:45 PM »

Thanks, mary mary. I have merged your post with the existing topic, and I've changed the topic title so it's more obvious what it's about.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 03:05:31 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993752/

Anyone know anything about it?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »

Dan Dassow mentioned that he had posted something about this earlier this year. He did, but it was in a thread that was removed for unrelated reasons. Here's the NPR link and the quote he posted then:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98696418

Unlike the vast majority of jazz musicians, Dave Brubeck was blessed with both talent and commercial success. His renowned 1950s quartet recorded standards like "Take Five," "The Duke," and "In Your Own Sweet Way." He was the first jazz artist to sell one million copies of an album, the second to appear on the cover of Time magazine. To this day, he sells out concert halls around the world. ...

With Dan's help, I've now found this original press release on the University of the Pacific website (home of the Dave Brubeck Institute). It's from 2007.

http://web.pacific.edu/x28465.xml

News Release
Clint Eastwood and Other Illustrious Artists Honor Jazz Legend Dave Brubeck

(March 14, 2007) -

Clint Eastwood announced today that he will executive produce a Bruce Ricker documentary about jazz legend Dave Brubeck. Eastwood also said that he will chair the new honorary board formed to preserve and continue the legacy of Brubeck through the work of the Brubeck Institute at University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif.

"Dave Brubeck is an American legend," Eastwood said. "He is an American original who continues to make significant contributions to music, introduced a whole new generation to the world of jazz, and continues to explore the international language of music."

The documentary film is tentatively titled "Dave Brubeck - In His Own Sweet Way." The film will trace the journey of the development of Brubeck's latest work, the Cannery Row Suite, from the moment it was first commissioned by the Monterey Jazz Festival to its premiere at the festival in 2006. Eastwood's film crews captured early rehearsals, dress rehearsals, sound checks and the final performance.

While tracing the creation of Brubeck's newest work, the documentary also will track Brubeck's career, from his first musical experiences on a Central California cattle ranch, to his years at Pacific, the success of the Dave Brubeck Quartet, the musical revolution he created by utilizing new time signatures in jazz, the release of "Time Out" and the public stance he took against racial inequality.

The new documentary is being directed and produced by Bruce Ricker. Ricker's other film credits include the classics "Thelonious Monk, Straight No Chaser" and "The Last of the Blue Devils." He and Eastwood are currently making a documentary about Tony Bennett titled "The Music Never Ends."

Besides the film, Eastwood also is chairing the new honorary board that includes members such as trumpeter and composer Wynton Marsalis, film director George Lucas, recording artist Al Jarreau, record producer Quincy Jones, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, television and recording producer Larry Rosen, hotel businessman Gordon Zuckerman, documentary filmmaker Ken Burns, trumpeter and record producer Herb Alpert and many others (please see complete board list attached). The members of the new honorary board will work to raise awareness of the Brubeck Institute and about Brubeck's legacy and his music. The board's first official meeting will be on April 17, prior to the Brubeck Institute Spring Fundraiser at Eastwood's Mission Ranch in Carmel, Calif.

Eastwood, himself a jazz pianist and composer, has served as the honorary chairman of the Brubeck Institute since its inception and is a member of the Board of Directors for the Monterey Jazz Festival. He received an honorary doctorate from University of the Pacific during the same ceremony at which Brubeck was awarded the President's Medal of Achievement.

Brubeck said the formation of the Brubeck Institute in 2000 was the "realization of a dream," one that reflects his own personal and professional commitment "to advancing the acceptance and recognition of jazz as a serious art form that reflected American ideals of freedom and individual expression balanced with group responsibility and interdependence." Brubeck, 86, graduated from Pacific in 1942. His wife and creative partner, Iola Brubeck, also is a Pacific graduate.

The Brubeck Institute was established following the donation of an extensive collection of Brubeck's materials to University of the Pacific's library for research and archival purposes. In addition to the archive - one of the world's largest and most comprehensive collections from a contemporary musician - the Institute also coordinates several national educational programs. Those programs range from the Brubeck Institute Fellowship, a full-scholarship educational opportunity for five exceptional young jazz musicians; the Brubeck Summer Jazz Colony, an intensive jazz performance experience for high school students; the Outreach Program, an initiative to promote better understanding of jazz and the work and influence of Dave Brubeck; and the annual Brubeck Festival, a celebration of the music and ideals of Dave Brubeck and his influence on the world of music.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:56:12 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

I've now merged the two topics on the Dave Brubeck documentary. I deleted a couple of posts in which I had attempted to link the new one to the old one ... I posted the wrong link at first, which Philo Beddoe Jr. pointed out. So I thought it would be less confusing just to merge them. I also deleted Dan Dassow's post (with his permission) linking to a garbled version of the press release from the University of the Pacific that I've quoted above.

I do rather wonder about the status of this project, which was announced more than two years ago. On the website of Bruce Ricker's production company, Rhapsody Productions, there is an announcement, but no further production details.

http://www.rhapsodyproductionsinc.com/catalog/rhap_prod/Dave%20Brubeck%20Treatment.htm

Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 04:34:35 AM »

I've now merged the two topics on the Dave Brubeck documentary. I deleted a couple of posts in which I had attempted to link the new one to the old one ... I posted the wrong link at first, which Philo Beddoe Jr. pointed out. So I thought it would be less confusing just to merge them. I also deleted Dan Dassow's post (with his permission) linking to a garbled version of the press release from the University of the Pacific that I've quoted above.

I do rather wonder about the status of this project, which was announced more than two years ago. On the website of Bruce Ricker's production company, Rhapsody Productions, there is an announcement, but no further production details.

http://www.rhapsodyproductionsinc.com/catalog/rhap_prod/Dave%20Brubeck%20Treatment.htm

Thanks KC!  O0
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 05:30:54 AM »

Sounds too good!  :D

I'm just getting familiar with jazz, never liked it before. But now.. Bought my first jazz cd yesterday.  This is going to be interesting!

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »

I came across this on Rhapsody.com (no relation to Rhapsodyproductions.com) while looking for something else ...

http://blog.rhapsody.com/2009/07/clintfilm.html#more

I don't think I've ever seen this picture before:
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

What an awesome photo KC!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »

Cool pic KC.. Whats the album ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T