News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows -WARNING; Spoilers allowed  (Read 4851 times)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »

So here it goes. I finished mine today. What did you think about it?

Once again, SPOILERS ALLOWED in this thread. So be careful when you're reading, if you haven't yet finished the book.  ;)

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »

HARRY POTTER SPOILERS BELOW

satu, I liked the book very much and thought the descriptions of the Battle at Hogwarts excellent.   I found myself reading faster as the battle became more intense.   

I was a little surprised by the ending, it was not quite what I expected.  However I was happy with it.    The final few pages '19 years on'  rounded off who ended up with who and introduced us to their offspring but I wondered if that was really necessary?   

What did you think of that chapter satu?

Did you feel this book was in any way better than the others?
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:43:09 PM »

I was a little surprised by the ending, it was not quite what I expected.  However I was happy with it.    The final few pages '19 years on'  rounded off who ended up with who and introduced us to their offspring but I wondered if that was really necessary?   

What did you think of that chapter satu?

Did you feel this book was in any way better than the others?

When I finished the chapter where Harry got hit by a killing curse, I shut the book and went to bed. I was disappointed, that was not the way I wanted the book to end. I did not want Harry to die, because he is the main character of the whole series. I really thought he was going to die. The next morning I finished the book, well, except for the final 19 years later-chapter. Then I was happy about it. But when I read the final chapter, I was again disappointed.  :-\ Then I thought it was even too happy for an ending and unnecessary chapter.  And very predictable.  :o Maybe if the book had a less happy endind, I would have disappointed too. I don't know really. I usually don't like sad endings, but I also didn´t like the last chapter. I don't know why it bothers me, maybe because it was, as I said, predictable. You want to know what happens to them later in their lives, of course, but I guess it could have been left for the reader to decide their own endings for the characters' lives. That way everybody could get the ending they would be happy with. I woudn't have wanted the book to end right after the fighting, that would have left an empty feeling. Something needed to be told, but the last chapter still bothers me. If there was nothing told, I don't know how I would end their lives in my own head. Happily, I guess. But still..  :-\

I was very happy about the fact that Snape was made the good guy in this book. I never liked him much, but still, It really was unexpected from my part and that´s why I liked it.

I don't know if this one is any better than the previous ones.  ::) I haven't read them in a while, I should read the whole series again, then I would be able to decide. But when I think about the whole book, not just the ending, I liked it very much. I guess I´ll be perfectly happy with the ending when I think about it more.

Oh, and one thing.. What happened to the Grimmauld Place?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:54:50 PM by -satu- » Logged

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:01:52 AM »

Now I know what it was that was bothering me. Not the happy ending. I would have ended the book the same way in my head, I guess. But the fact that there will be no more books. That left me an empty feeling after I finished the last few pages. I just didn´t want it all to end.  ;D ;)

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:00:24 AM »

Now I know what it was that was bothering me. Not the happy ending. I would have ended the book the same way in my head, I guess. But the fact that there will be no more books. That left me an empty feeling after I finished the last few pages. I just didn´t want it all to end.  ;D ;)

I think that goes for me too, satu.   

I agree with you about the last chapter.  It could have been sorted out at the end of the final chapter without the 19 Years Later Perhaps saying that Harry and Ginny went off together to the Weasley's home and that Ron and Hermione went to alter the memory spell on Hermione's parents, if it was left like that you would guess the ending and there would be no reason to invent their children.

One thing I did feel,  the last time there was a mention of Hagrid was rather an after thought and very rushed.    We know the Death Eaters gained access to Grimmauld Place so it would have no longer been a safe home for Harry so it probably would  have just been left.
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »

Finished the book yesterday.  I really loved it!  I had seen a bulletin on myspace before reading it that said Ron was killed be Bellatrix and so I was really upset about it being spoiled for me and then I was expecting it to happen in the book.  I was very suprised (and happy) when it didn't. :D  I loved everything about the book except, as you guys mentioned, the epilouge.  I also thought it was a little too sugary with Harry marrying Ginny and Ron marrying Hermione.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:02:13 PM »

I loved everything about the book except, as you guys mentioned, the epilogue.  I also thought it was a little too sugary with Harry marrying Ginny and Ron marrying Hermione.

The first review in the link below was written by a 17 year old who felt as we do, the 19 Years Later was superfluous and spoiled the final book.   The review is very well written. The others give mixed feelings and ideas from the book as is to be expected.  (It is from The Daily Telegraph July 28th so I don't know how long it will be before the link no longer works.)
LINK
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:10:46 PM by Lin. » Logged
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »

I thought she could have made the epilouge longer and included what happened to alot of the other characters.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »

What did you think when Snape was after all, the good guy? I already told that it was unexpected from me, so it I loved the little twist in the plot.  :)

At what point did you start to think that he might be the good guy or did it come to you as a big of a surprise as it was to me?  ;)

Lin, I'm still quite unhappy that they didn´t mention what happened to the Grimmauld Place. The Death Eaters probably had no reason to go there anymore, now that Voldemort died and they no longer had a leader to attack Harry. So why couldn't Harry go there then? In 19 years he hadn't been attacked by anyone. The Death Eaters probably gave it up after their master died. Harry could now live without anyone trying to kill him. So why not give the place to his godchild? Or anything?  :D

Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:14:17 AM »

I had a bit of an inkling that Snape was going to turn out to be good towards the middle of the story.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »

satu,  I think the only loose end was Grimmauld Place.   Perhaps JKR could have made it clear Harry and Ginny lived there or it was given to someone else.  Unless once the Death Eaters took it over it no longer existed.   Maybe we should contact her website and ask.  ;)  Seriously we could be missing something there.

I thought Snape was going to be on Harry's side once I got into the last book.   I had kept changing my mind all through the other 6 books.    Albus Dumbledore was the one who surprised me.   I had held him as the perfect wizard so was rather shocked to learn more about him.   However Harry and Ginny called their son after his and also after Snape.   Now that I have MOST of the answers I plan to read the books again one after another.   Possibly I will find more hints to the final chapters as I read through them again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T